Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Fiber Optic front site on a Stock II

Gdub

I just reinstalled my factory front site on my Stock II. One of the reasons besides feeling I shoot the factory blade better is that I could not keep my Dawson fiber optic site from moving back and fourth (front to back). This movement seemed to fracture my fiber optic rod in my site every couple of training sessions. This is caused by the set screw in the site is a much smaller diameter compared tappered hole that Tanfo. puts in the gun for the factory site. Am I missing something on how to keep the aftermarket site in place? I do know that if you tighten the set screw down to tight you can actually poke the set screw clear through the slide. That's how thin the material is on the slide at that point.

Mine had a hole drilled all the way through for the set screw. Red locktite all in the sight cut secured my Dawson sight from moving.

Can't you get the set screw to deep to where it would contact the barrel?

Dawsons are not optimal, I have 2 and they both wiggle, the set screw does not match the hole. The Xtreme is a perfect replacement for the stock sight and does not move at all.

But to be honest, a dot of neon orange nail polish on the stock sight is almost as good as fiber optic.

Dawsons are not optimal, I have 2 and they both wiggle, the set screw does not match the hole. The Xtreme is a perfect replacement for the stock sight and does not move at all.

But to be honest, a dot of neon orange nail polish on the stock sight is almost as good as fiber optic.

I agree, I had a dawson fly off during a match

I had a Dawson come loose after two short practice sessions. Removed and reinstalled with Loctite. It's been solid so far, but I've only shot two matches with it since. With the loctite I expect it to stay put.

The most frustrating thing was getting the sight removed. It has this tiny set screw that is smaller than any of my Allen keys, so I had to get a key from Dawson. I got a new set screw as well because it would be very easy to lose or strip out.

My Dawson sight was loose too. I screwed the set screw through the slide and it's nice and tight. I had to file the screw where it was contacting the barrel, but it's perfect now. A better design from Dawson would be ideal though....

I've lost two so far.

One Dawson and one Extreme.

This was during my initial break-in with my guns.

Since then, I've been using loctite. And checking for any looseness between matches/practice sessions.

The front sight design, I would say, is not ideal.

What are the Extreme sights? I am looking for a FO front sight and not all that enthusiastic about the Dawsons. Any guidance here to what works? I'm talking about a front sight for a 40S&W Witness Match.

I agree all my Dawsons on Tanfos wiggled until I used red Locktite.

I just like Dawson sights on my other guns so went with those when I replaced the factory one. Was cheaper than the Eric one, so there was that.

Also, the set screw could go all the way through to contact the barrel. I guess it was easier to Tanfoglio to just drill a through hole.

Edited by Twinkie

• 5 months later...