Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal Shadow Parts for IPSC

leemoe83

Looking at shooting IPSC nationals this year. I am shooting SP01 Shadows from CZ Custom, the 2014 model that lists at $1300. I think it is IPSC legal except the hammer. Am I correct? Or is it good to go?

From the IPSC Prod Gun List

NOT APPROVED: CZ Custom Shop models (e.g. SP-01 Shadow Target, CZ 75 Shadow T, CZ 75 SP01 ACCU Shadow etc.), and Frankonia models (e.g. Mamba, Viper etc.).

I believe all the internal mods make it a no-go. I could be wrong.

IIRC: there is only one custom shadow that czc does any work to that is IPSC production legal. That is the Shadow Target II. The adjustable rear is not milled in, and such. Its basically a stock Shadow that had all the IPSC legal things done to it, then rebranded. If you email Vince or whoever handles the legality of gun models, the moment you mention czc, they'll say no, but a ST II is a stock shadow with IPSC legal stuff done to it. Its a stock shadow. Other than that "model", no other model with custom work done is legal I believe. Other option is a factory stock sp-01 shadow that goes for $880 down there, and have czc do all the IPSC legal stuff.

I dug into this a little more. The issues appear to be the mainspring and slide polishing that is done. Is anybody at IPSC Nationals in the US going to care?

Any CZ OEM mainspring is fine.

Polishing; no. Fitting is fine.

"Appendix D4

16. Original parts and components offered by the OFM as standard equipment, or as an option, for a specific model

handgun on the IPSC approved handgun list are permitted, subject to the following:

16.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing (the removal of burrs and/or adjustments unavoidably

required in order to fit replacement OFM parts or components), are prohibited. Other prohibited

modifications include those which facilitate faster reloading (e.g. flared, enlarged and/or add-on

magwells, etc.), changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes, stippling or

other embellishments."

IPSC Handgun Rules; http://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesHandgun.pdf

PS When asking if a gun is IPSC production legal it is not a good idea to specify the CZC model name.(or CZC at all).

Simply specify the parts used and work performed.

Edited by BMaus

I dug into this a little more. The issues appear to be the mainspring and slide polishing that is done. Is anybody at IPSC Nationals in the US going to care?

Let your conscience be your guide.

Edited by pmt

PS When asking if a gun is IPSC production legal it is not a good idea to specify the CZC model name.(or CZC at all).

Counseling someone on how to circumvent the rules?........As your fellow countryman would say "No cookie for you"

Edited by pmt

Let your conscience be your guide.

Ambiguous rules on work that offers no competitive advantage. My consciousness is good. Why do you need to muck up my thread with your quibles?

"Appendix D4

16. Original parts and components offered by the OFM as standard equipment, or as an option, for a specific model

handgun on the IPSC approved handgun list are permitted, subject to the following:

16.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing (the removal of burrs and/or adjustments unavoidably

required in order to fit replacement OFM parts or components), are prohibited. Other prohibited

modifications include those which facilitate faster reloading (e.g. flared, enlarged and/or add-on

magwells, etc.), changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes, stippling or

other embellishments."

I thought would be easier for people to look up the mods than me explaining it.

The only non ofm parts are the sights (which is within the rules) and the guide rod which IPSC specifically approved. I thought the hammer was an aftermarket part, it is not. Trying to avoid another gun purchase. Thanks for you input.

"Appendix D4

other embellishments."

I thought would be easier for people to look up the mods than me explaining it.

The only non ofm parts are the sights (which is within the rules) and the guide rod which IPSC specifically approved. I thought the hammer was an aftermarket part, it is not. Trying to avoid another gun purchase. Thanks for you input.

You said $1300 model, which is usually a shadow target. The rear is aftermarket which is fine, but the slide is milled for it.

What model shadow do you have specifically?

• 3 weeks later...

Counseling someone on how to circumvent the rules?........As your fellow countryman would say "No cookie for you"

Absolutely not.

Simply suggesting what verbal/wriitten triggers you might want to avoid that will get you a 'NO' on an otherwise IPSC production legal gun.

Edited by BMaus

Ok, I'll put my gamer hat on

What chance is there that a CGW adjustable sear would be discovered? Especially if you have met the 5# DA trigger pull weight.

Does IPSC disassemble firearms for inspection? If so it does not seem possible to check them all equally.

Just seem silly

Ok, I'll put my gamer hat on

What chance is there that a CGW adjustable sear would be discovered? Especially if you have met the 5# DA trigger pull weight.

Does IPSC disassemble firearms for inspection? If so it does not seem possible to check them all equally.

Just seem silly

This is what I was thinking, I never shoot IPSC and my gun is legal in USPSA but I will be shooting the IPSC Nationals. I don't want to "cheat" but I'm not expecting to be in contention to win anything and really don't want to tear down one of my pistols and fit a sear for 1 match when it runs perfectly now. After installing the CZC hammer with the factory sear my safety would only engage at half cock. Rather than take the time to re-fit that sear it was much easier to drop-in a CGW adjustable sear. It doesn't provide any competitive advantage or change the trigger pull. My DA is still over 5# and the safety functions as it's supposed to. I could understand maybe if you won a match and they wanted to tear down and inspect the internals but for every shooter it seems a little nit-picky.

Edited by bafsu92