Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super slide with 9mm barrel....

RobertLx

I've done it, no problem. The 38 super breech face is slightly smaller than 9mm, so if you go the other way it will only chamber 38 super comp.

Is this correct or do you have it backwards? I'm not very familiar with .38 super, but I thought the semi-rimmed case would mean that the 9mm breach face is slightly smaller?

The 9mm breech face is slightly smaller than the 38 super, but not by much.

You can run the 9mm barrel in the 38 super slide,

you might have to change to the 9mm extractor in that 38 slide,

and then you may or may not have to tune the extractor depending on how it runs .

I've done it, no problem. The 38 super breech face is slightly smaller than 9mm, so if you go the other way it will only chamber 38 super comp.

Is this correct or do you have it backwards? I'm not very familiar with .38 super, but I thought the semi-rimmed case would mean that the 9mm breach face is slightly smaller?

Yes, I had it backwards, 9mm is slightly smaller than 38 super.

It wouldn't be legal for Production, though. D4 21.3

you sure about that? Technically, "caliber" is the diameter of the bullet - 9mm and 38 super have the same diameter bullet. On the RO overlays, there is a diameter for 9mm, 40, and 45. There are not separate holes for 9mm and 38 super.

edit: I just emailed DNROI about this, will post answer.

Edited by earthshine402

This has already been ruled on by Amidon when he was the NROI. He said it was legal due to the bullet diameter as stated above. I'm not going to search for it but it is on this forum.

This has already been ruled on by Amidon when he was the NROI. He said it was legal due to the bullet diameter as stated above. I'm not going to search for it but it is on this forum.

I recall that also. 38 and 9 are interchangeable, so is 10 and40 ... using appropriate barrels.

I am having no problems running my limited pro 9mm barrel in my 38 super stock 3. I haven't run my 38 super barrel in my 9mm stock 3 yet, but I see no reason it wouldn't run 38 super comp, 9mm super comp, and 9x23 Winchester, if using appropriate springs. Don't get me wrong, a dedicated barrel for 9mm super comp and 9x23 would be better for them, though.

Edited by shabodah

i assumed someone put a 10mm barrel in a .40 and blew it up in a match.

If it isn't to prevent this kind of thing, what is the rule there to prevent?

To prevent people shooting non factory configurations in production division.

I'm just trying to follow along...

The goal is to keep the guns in the division (more or less) as produced from the factory

So barrel swapping a 38 super to a 9mm is ok but to a 40 is not ok. I don't get the logic there because neither is as produced from the factory.

I'm wondering if the rules regarding this have become ineffective. Or just silly.

You can trick a Tanfo with Xtreme custom parts, even the trigger and hammer, because they are "factory parts" but in the US you cannot purchase any new firearm that comes with those parts. Over seas, you can special order a firearm with those custom parts, if I understand it correctly. Somehow that meets the standard of "2000 manufactured and available to the general public".

You can shoot an Accu Shadow if it was born an Accu Shadow, but if the CZ Custom shop puts the Accu Shadow bushing on a Shadow, it isn't legal? Do I have that right?

And I can part swap the safety off my Stock 1 to the Stock 2 so I can get a higher grip and not engage the ambi safety by accident, not a factory configuration but legal because both guns are on the approved list. But, if I just take off the right side of the Stock 2 safety, it would be an external modification.

How does any of that conform to the idea that this Production division is for factory produced guns?

you sure about that? Technically, "caliber" is the diameter of the bullet - 9mm and 38 super have the same diameter bullet. On the RO overlays, there is a diameter for 9mm, 40, and 45. There are not separate holes for 9mm and 38 super.

I have just received an answer from Troy:

My email to dnroi:

Is a 9mm conversion from 38 super legal in Production?

Apendix D4, 21.3: After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, con- tour and caliber as original factory standard
9mm and 38 super shoot the same caliber bullet
Troy's response:
Unfortunately, no. The calibers are actually different by .001".

Troy

I have just received an answer from Troy:

My email to dnroi:

Is a 9mm conversion from 38 super legal in Production?

Apendix D4, 21.3: After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, con- tour and caliber as original factory standard
9mm and 38 super shoot the same caliber bullet
Troy's response:
Unfortunately, no. The calibers are actually different by .001".

Troy

That is very interesting. Hang on...I will dig up the answer from Amidon or have the guy that has the answer post it for everyone. Then whoever feels the need can contact Troy with Amidon's answer and see what the ruling should be or will be. An "official" ruling would be nice for everyone.

I have all 9mm Stock 2 and 3 so this does not directly affect me.

Edited by Prov1x

I think it is a loop hole in the phrasing that needs to be closed. You can't put a .38 super in a 9x19 and pull the trigger so it is a different "caliber" even if the diameter is the same. But my opinion doesn't count.

However, you can get 9mm 9x19 projectiles in .355, .356, and .357.

This all needs to be tightened up.

Copied Email response from John Amidon DNROI

Jun 6 2014

After discussion with the USPSA President on this issue, it was determined that there is no difference, really. Caliber could be interpreted as the width of the bullet, more so than the actual round.

This would allow the Tanfoglio Stock III to have a slide that states 38 and a barrel of 9mm. As the rules state caliber/cartridge .38

cal./9X19 .0354.

John