Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am confused about Para Pro Custom 18.9 magazines

BluePuma

Now that is progress AaronS!!! The factory basepads are a bear to get off. You just have to get the insert pushed down far enough in the mag body and slide the pad while still pushing the insert so that it doesn't come back up and catch the back of the pad and lock it up. The Dawson pads are so much easier to deal with and have the correct shoulder angle to match the magwell. You still need those inserts with the Dawson pads though. Nice!

And once you put the Dawson's on your factory mags the original pads will fit on your new mags and lock up just fine. Mine still rattle a little when empty though. Mine are running 100% and hold 18.

Now that is progress AaronS!!! The factory basepads are a bear to get off. You just have to get the insert pushed down far enough in the mag body and slide the pad while still pushing the insert so that it doesn't come back up and catch the back of the pad and lock it up. The Dawson pads are so much easier to deal with and have the correct shoulder angle to match the magwell. You still need those inserts with the Dawson pads though. Nice!

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy trying to remove the baseplate from the factory magazines.

Went back to the range again this afternoon...still no problems.

I'm pretty sure I can modify the mag to get the slide to lock back when empty.

I will post before and after pics if it works.

Edited by AaronS

There was a slight difference in the mag tubes. The front of the factory mags was cut a little lower than the others. I thought by cutting/sanding to match it might lock back. I cut one of the mags to see but it still doesn't lock the slide back.

I can get the slide to lock back if I push the mag up and hold it while pulling the slide back. The aftermarket mags do not lock in high enough to engage the slide stop.

Here are pictures of the mags.

The right is the factory mag, the middle is the other mag the way they come, the left is after sanding the top corner to try and match the factory mag.

e915e5babe93db20c6e12e5b92c629c9.jpg

1674937f55c4f19efdfa6d9f9668211b.jpg

I got the Para bases (the ones I linked in a previous post above) in the mail today.

They fit the mag and gun good without any modification and stick out more than the factory or aftermarket ones.

Again, right is the factory mag, middle is the aftermarket, and left is with the new Para extended pads (link in one of my previous posts).

They say they do not add any capacity, I didn't try yet but I think they might.

9d69cc84d0575a6308849a5d5ce49504.jpg

There was a slight difference in the mag tubes. The front of the factory mags was cut a little lower than the others. I thought by cutting/sanding to match it might lock back. I cut one of the mags to see but it still doesn't lock the slide back.

I can get the slide to lock back if I push the mag up and hold it while pulling the slide back. The aftermarket mags do not lock in high enough to engage the slide stop.

This is what I found with them as well. I tried the factory Para followers in them with same results, no help. I can live with it, if I shoot one dry I need to plan better (or maybe shoot better) anyway. Thanks for the update Aaron.

RTL

With those basepads, New Para mags and grams springs and followers I get 22 rounds

I did use the inserts from the para basepads. They did have to be modified a bit to fit,

basically sanding the cicumference.

I wonder if the Canyon Creek mag release will hold the mag higher to keep the slide open. Please keep this forum updated AaronS and rtl with your SPS findings. You have been impressively prompt so far. I just bought an STI 140mm to test with my PC and am eager to see if this 35 dollar option may work.

Also, sorry if I missed this point somewhere, will Dawson basepads fit and function on the Battle Ready mags?

Cheers lads.

Edited by SliderX

I bought a SPS mag with aluminum base pad for my 40. $105 from Spain. You can get 9mm 40 and 45 and you can get a 170mm in the 9mm. The plastic base pads are a little cheaper and you don't have to change anything to work with just about any magwell. The downside they do not hold the mag open after the last shot. Very well built mag and I will buy some in 9mm also.

Umm let me think $35 for a mag $10 shipping $35 for a basepad $10 shipping plus any springs or inserts that you might have to add. And since I had the pistol before Para stopped selling parts and

I wanted a good reliable mag the SPS option seemed like the best idea ( and it was) .

Or I could have scrapped the whole plan and bought 2 $2500 pistols ( I have a limited 16/40 with an additional 6 inch 9mm upper ).

So sfinney what doesn't make sense to you makes sense to me.

Sorry I hit a nerve.

Great value in a pistol.

Just echoing others comments on frustration of not having stock mags avail.

Looks like several viable options out there. Thanks to everyone for sharing the info.

It appears as though I managed to pick up the very last 9mm mag from Battle Ready Int'l. I've been trying to get a hold of them asking about lead time for more but no one has yet to pick up the phone or answer emails. More of the same it seems...

Update: While the phones are still an issue, I did get a prompt email response. Battle Ready Int'l Orders these from Israel and hope to have another shipment in a few weeks.

Edited by SliderX

• 1 month later...

it is not the magazine that is the issue but more the base pad being used! if the base pad is hitting or rubbing up against the inside of the mag well, file or sand the contact point of the base pad, until you achieve clearance for the magazine to fully seat.

STI magazine have a different contour/shape to the magazine body and hence use a slightly narrower base pad. which would enable the magazine to seat properly.

STI magazine are available and a much better alternative to the Para magazines.

IMO