Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18" rifle length gas or 16.1" intermediate length gas barrel

shadoflame

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mark, that explains it. Here I thought maybe Bruce Jenner was shooting 3 gun now.

Glad that is water and not Sam Adams all over my computer screen. :roflol:

I recently built a new rifle with a stretch 16. I only have about 500 rounds downrange so far, but I'm happy with my choice. With an adjustable gas block and LMOS carrier, it is very soft and flat shooting.

Reduced size gas port so you do not need an adjustable gas block. The chamber dimensions are such that it is reliable and maintains excellent accuracy. No barrel is softer shooting. .5 MOA to 600 yard is pretty good too.

Mark, refresh my memory. Does the Stretch 16 need an adjustable gas block, or is the port sized appropriately such that it does not need one?

Also, how do you rank the Voodoo 16.1" ultralight with rifle length gas?

Mick

Mark, refresh my memory. Does the Stretch 16 need an adjustable gas block, or is the port sized appropriately such that it does not need one?

Also, how do you rank the Voodoo 16.1" ultralight with rifle length gas?

Mick

Will depend a little on load. The are smaller than "standard" but they will run a commercial mass carrier.

The VooDoo, like the MicroMOA of similar design have a pretty small operating window and they need full power ammo. They do not shoot as soft, nor as accurate. For some applications, they would be good, but to me they are more specialized and not as suitable to a 3Gun rifle.

Just a point of clarification, but what is the difference between the terms "attempt at a copy" and "duplication".????

In my world, either one is synonymous with the concept, "they did something good, I'm gonna do the same thing and try to make some money."

Now, not saying that is necessarily wrong, that is the way the world works. If something works, it will be quickly replicated.

That being said, why not call it what it is.

Duplication means it is the same. Attempt at a copy means they tried to copy it, but did not do as good a job as the original. Not going to go any further since there are lawyers involved.

All the same. Just degrees of application. Duplication means that within some degree of acceptable parameters, they managed to at least come close. "Attempt at a copy" means they tried to duplicate the product but were not quite as successful. When lawyers get involved, makes no difference. Both are pretty much the same.

When it comes to an AR15 barrel, there is no way that getting lawyers involved is in any way productive. Anyone can alter or vary parts variables as they wish. I would not think that there are any proprietary measurements in any way associated with an AR barrel.

Oh no! Lawyers are scary. Sorry if I don't believe every word you say as fact, actually I am not sorry.

What I know to be factual is that both barrels share the same specs, both come with a gas tube and a gas block. Odin barrel is less money. Both have the same guarantee. What I also know is that I have had an Odin barrel for 3 years that is 16" with an intermediate gas system. I have never heard of a stretch 16 til today, so I don't know how long they have been around.

In all the 16" barrels I've shot the Odin is hands down the softest, most accurate barrel available. Money well spent.

yup,

the reality is that any barrel maker has three choices of gas tube length.

Two choices of gas block diameter (realistically).

There are really no other variables other than the profile of the barrel between the receiver and gas block, and gas block to the threads on the end of the barrel. Everyone in the entire world uses the same dimensions for chamber, bore and rifling.

Outside of the diameter of the hole for the gas at the gas block, or outside dimensions of the barrel, What could possibly be proprietary?

Even then, I sincerely doubt that the od of the barrel could be litigated as proprietary.

Now, if they came up with a whole new gas system, length, dia of hole, tube configuration, maybe.

If the Odin works barrel copied the stretch 16 then why is it that it is stated on YouTube that the stretch 16 was a collaboration between odin and SST? Check out the video titled adjustable gas block=quicker more accurate followup shots by bullittmcqueen.

I'm not claiming to know everything there is to know about AR gas systems, but I'm pretty sure it's not a "whole new gas system, length". Just ask the folks at Noveske.

Your right, it's not a brand spanking new idea, I was more or less saying it's relatively new and not one of the three choices of gas tube length that Bigsampson alluded to. But enough lawyer talk, let's get back to barrel performance.