Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versatile .223 Powder

D.Hayden

I found this blurb at NatchezSS:

2230C:

This powder is a slightly slower version of 2230 and the load data for 2230 can be safely used for all calibers that 2230 is recommended in. The 2230C is a fast to medium speed rifle propellant and was designed for use in both the .223 and .308 calibers.

That sound about right?

Yah... but it doesn't sound ideal.

If you buy the 8 lb jug of A2230C it actually has load data for 55 FMJ (26 grains) and 69's (24.6 grains) .223 on the label. If you compare that to A2230 data (55's @ 25 grains and 69's @ 23.5) you'll notice that the comparable A2230C loadings use heavier charges.

So yah... "the load data for 2230 can be safely used" since the actual/real max loading for A2230C will be heavier. :P

I don't see 'C' listed at Accurate Arms, but I see it's much cheaper.

Is it a surplus, or pulled powder?

I believe "C" stands for "canister". It's considered a surplus powder. That's probably why it's so cheeeeeep! :D

RL15 or Ramshot TAC for 223. They both work well with all bullet weights but really shine once you get over 69gr.

Varget is good, but a pain in the arse to get through the powder measure and into the case sometimes.

748, being a ball powder, gets really squirley with bullets over 69gr. It may work fine one day, but the next day with the temp a little warmer not so good. SDs and velocity spreads go nutty with 748, heavy bullets and hot temps.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone mentioned N135... care to expand on that? I recall a number of years ago (maybe 10?) the US AMU 'V-8' load used N135. The local Hunter Benchrest guys love it; one of the local gunshops has four to six eight pounders in stock at all times as it's about all they shoot. I'd heard some mention that a number of years ago N135 fell out of favor for heavy bullets in the AR as the burn rate changed... seems like thats right around the time it became popular w/ the BR crowds, and finding someone using it in HP seems uncommon.

The only part of the above that doesn't jive is where N135 shows on the burn rate chart in Sierra's most recent loading manual: right smack next to Varget; slower than 748, BLC2, AA2230C, 2460, Tac, H4895, and faster than Varget, AA2520, N140, N540, & RE-15, all popular (to varying degrees) powders for 'heavy' bullets in the AR.

AA2230C seems to work pretty well so far in that it shoots well on target; more than well enough to shred the X-ring if the driver was up to it, but running those loads (75gr BTHP, 23.5gr AA2230C, mixed LC/WCC case from RVO/Scharch, Rem 7-1/2BR ) over a chrono about gave me heart failure.... 120-140fps ES.

Varget and RE-15 it seems like I run out of room before I get any useable speed out of them; apparently I have one of those 'generous-chamber-eats-anything-shoots-well-but-really-dang-slow' barrels...

Tac... my efforts to duplicate the BH 75gr BTHP blue box load w/ 23.4gr Tac was a miserable failure (~3MOA @ 100yds) until someone pointed out the *heavy* crimp they use. I'll pursue that some more when I get a Redding taper crimp die and some more Tac.

N140 so far has been the most promising, w/ good velocity being reached before running out of room in the case (not fond of tamping powder charges w/ the boat tail of my match bullets!), good chrono numbers, and good accuracy to boot.

My interest in N135 is due to a) the relative success I've had w/ N140 and B) I've heard it meters *much* better than N140, which isn't supposed to do too bad out of a Dillon powder measure to begin with. I'm trying to get things as consistent as possible from shot to shot, so something that plays nicely w/ the powder measure is a plus.

So, any takers on the N135?

Thanks,

Monte

Hodgon's Benchmark power works very well. It looks like varget that's cut into 1/3 what varget is, meters very well.

52-53gr sierra 26.5 gr benchmark 2.255 or just were it clears a ar-15 mag

77 gr sierra uses 23 grains of benchmark, about 2850fps (I'll have to look at my old load book, haven't shot highpower in years)

Someone local had suggested Benchmark, or perhaps it was 10X, based on experience w/ the lighter bullets. Both seem kind of on the fast end of things... worth a try I suppose. Then again AA2230C is supposed to be be 'too fast' and it's giving good results if pushed a little so the pressure gets up there...

The good news is that N140 and even Varget seem to be metering OK thru my Dillon... about as well as they would thru my tricked out BR-30 (might change w/ a fully loaded tool head though...) not that thats anything spectacular, just 'acceptable' at least for short course work. LR stuff I'm looking at probably having to end up weighing charges, but that's a lot fewer rounds anyway. Some testing to see how much I actually gain by weighing will probably be in order.

Thanks,

Monte

• 2 weeks later...

I've found 10X to be a great powder with lighter bullets, 52 ish, but get much above 60 and it doesn't seem to be as good. I believe 10X was made specifically for benchresters tha use lighter bullets.

• 2 months later...

Surplus powders - seem to be drying up.

I tried a 8# of WC844 and liked it, but it's going quick and can't find anymore.

I think I'll call up AA 2230C this time. Maybe it'll have better longtime availability?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
What's the difference between AA2230C and AA2230?

I don't see 'C' listed at Accurate Arms, but I see it's much cheaper.

Is it a surplus, or pulled powder?

And speaking of really cheap, anyone try: ACCURATE DATA POWDER 73 ?

This may have been covered in later repleys , but I called the company and spoke to a tech and he said to use 2460 load data for the 2230C powder.