Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I making the Right Decision...? IDPA +/- USPSA Option

Stangs55

Every pistol I own is a 45. Not because that's the best caliber, but I always wanted to keep it consistent for reloading and shooting between guns. I've also never competed until recently.

Recently I've started getting into IDPA, but I don't really have a good gun to "compete" like I would like. My two favorite 45s are my Ed Brown Kobra Carry (small mags) and my STI Tactical 5.0 DS (full length dust cover means I can't use it in IDPA).

Initially, I was looking at just getting a Glock 34 or M&P Pro to compete in SSP...but I think ESP fits me better as I prefer a 1911 platform. So I narrowed my search down to the STI Marauder 9mm. I like the Marauder in particular due to the light rail and its compatibility with IDPA ESP out of the box. The light rail could be nice if I ever get into 3 gun.

But now I'm thinking that I may want to dip the toe in USPSA...so I started looking at .40 options and found that Shooter's Connection offers a limited edition of the Marauder in 40 for $200 less than even the regular Marauder. They only have 2 left and, of course, will never offer them again since they don't deal with STI anymore.

My only concern is adding recoil compared to the 9mm option since it will be primarily an IDPA pistol. But since I reload...I seem to be reading that I can load a 40 for similar recoil to the 9. True? How close can you really get a 40 to feel like a 9 if you reload for both...?

So how's my line of thinking here...am I off base? $2000 gets me a good "gamer" gun for IDPA ESP and allows me to compete in major USPSA should I ever want to. Thoughts? Anything else I should consider here?

You mention your looking at a pistol with a rail.

From the USPSA single stack rules under permitted features:

" Factory installed light rail attachments if the

dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches

measured from the rear of the slide stop pin

to the front of the dust cover."

... And remember in single stack the 1911 can weigh no more than 43oz with an empty magazine installed.

Even with a light rail of legal length, it does add weight. This is usually not a problem in a 45, but the other calibers have a smaller hole in the barrel and and weigh more than a 45 to begin with.

You mention your looking at a pistol with a rail.

From the USPSA single stack rules under permitted features:

" Factory installed light rail attachments if the

dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches

measured from the rear of the slide stop pin

to the front of the dust cover."

... And remember in single stack the 1911 can weigh no more than 43oz with an empty magazine installed.

Even with a light rail of legal length, it does add weight. This is usually not a problem in a 45, but the other calibers have a smaller hole in the barrel and and weigh more than a 45 to begin with.

Thanks Pat, but the Marauder is a double stack. It arrives weighing 36 oz. This change your thoughts?

I load for 9mm and 40 S&W. To me, the difference in recoil between 115 gr 9mm and 165 gr 40 is negligible when not loading them to maximum levels. I assume you will be shooting minor power factor anyway so most likely not an issue. As a disclaimer I shoot USPSA single stack with a 1911 45 major power factor so recoil is not an issue in my shooting.

You can definitely run a 2011 in idpa. The marauder would be a good place to start, brings it will be the identical platform your used to. And a benefit of getting the 40 would be making major in USPSA.

I bought a 40 Eagle specifically so I can shoot IDPA and USPSA. I have a 130 PF load (super soft) and a 165 PF load. I use 140mm mags for USPSA and 126mm for IDPA. I do not adjust sights when changing loads but do change recoil springs. I also dabble in 3 gun, shooting my IDPA load using the 20 round 140mm mags.

If you only intend to shoot ESP, then a 40 minor gun is cool, very little sight lift on those. IMO the doublestack reload is easier than the single stack. Are you shooting major matches in IDPA where they're dinging you for using your STI? Most club matches I've shot nobody strictly enforces the gear rules in the interim, but I can understand wanting to have that rig "ready to go".

If you only intend to shoot ESP, then a 40 minor gun is cool, very little sight lift on those. IMO the doublestack reload is easier than the single stack. Are you shooting major matches in IDPA where they're dinging you for using your STI? Most club matches I've shot nobody strictly enforces the gear rules in the interim, but I can understand wanting to have that rig "ready to go".

Not sure what you mean by "dinging you for using your STI" in major matches?

Is there a penalty for shooting an STI somewhere? I just shoot at the local club… Nothing major.

If you're asking me if they are not letting me use my STI tactical, then the answer is no they are not. It's not only the full length dustcover, but it also has a bull barrel. So that's two strikes against it…

Not sure what you mean by "dinging you for using your STI" in major matches?

Is there a penalty for shooting an STI somewhere? I just shoot at the local club… Nothing major.

If you're asking me if they are not letting me use my STI tactical, then the answer is no they are not. It's not only the full length dustcover, but it also has a bull barrel. So that's two strikes against it…

Gotcha. All of the local matches I shoot they're a lot more forgiving on equipment rules since it's really just for fun. i should qualify these are weekly indoor matches. At the monthly club matches outdoors they probably would flag you for it since there are 100+/- shooters.

S.55, I would buy the 40. I agonized over the same choice when I decided to expand from 45ACP. I bought a 9mm. I should have bought a 40. Live and learn. I sold the 9mm and bought a 40. It is soooo much more versatile than 9mm. My 140PF minor load actually shoots softer than the 9mm did, and I can easily make Major.

Here are some additional reasons to chose 40 over 9mm for your particular applications. Your have a much wider range of bullets to use. If you want the snappy recoil impulse of a 9mm, use 140 or 155gr bullets. If you prefer a softer feeling recoil, use the 175, 180 or 200gr bullets. 165s give you a middlin' feel.

If you do shoot plates or pins, the 40 is vastly superior to a 9mm. In any plate game where you actually have to drop the plate instead of just ringing it, a heavier bullet is more effective, especially if dropping the plate activates another target. Same for pins, but you may chose to use your 45 with 200 or 230gr bullets for pins. I can tell you that even a 165gr 40 slug is much more effective at pins (or plates) than a 147gr 9mm slug.

So a 40 can be the equivalent of a 9mm using 140 or 155gr bullets, or approach a 45 with 180 and 200gr bullets, or be right in between at 175PF for Major. I love shooting my 1911 45s. They will probably remain my favs. That being said, my 40 with 20-round mags is so versatile and so much fun, I can't imagine being without one.

The Marauder with 155gr Minor loads around 135power factor will be fantastic and almost identical to a 9mm 147gr Minor load...perfect for steel matches or IDPA. Install a tungsten guide rod, load a batch of 180-200gr Major loads and you're ready and competitive for any USPSA Limited Division match. Recoil springs would be 9-10lbs for Minor and 11-12lbs for Major. If you wanted to go the extra mile you could have a bull barrel fitted to your Marauder along with using the tungsten guide rod for extra weight toward the muzzle end when shooting Major but it's far from necessary.

I'd jump on that pistol. I've always regretted not grabbing special-run/edition pistols that I had my eye on...

Cheers623

DVC

Definitely go with the Marauder in .40. You'll have a great gamer gun for IDPA and you'll still be competitive in USPSA. I've been shooting 9mm in IDPA for years but when I switched to a 2011, going .40 was a no-brainer.

Thanks guys. This is confirming a lot of what I was thinking.

Bought the gun. Should have it in hand in a few days. :)

The cost of a new redding dies, Dillon 650 .40 conversion, brass, and bullets is a little daunting....but I ordered it all as well. It's like a bandaid...I just started pulling and didn't slow down.

Would you guys mind sharing what 40 minor load you would suggest as a starting point for IDPA. Especially those of you with an STI. My Google-Fu is strong and I've found a lot of data out there....maybe too much....so what works well in a 5" STI in IDPA?

Same question for a USPSA major load...?

And can someone enlighten me on the theory behind bullet weight and loading for major versus minor? Do I want a 180 gr bullet for IDPA if I'm not pushing steel? Or would a 155 serve me better here? I'm looking for the fastest followup shots with the least amount of muzzle flip.

Thanks in advance. I consider myself and knowledgeable and experienced reloader, but I've never dabbled in this arena...so it's new territory for me.

Edited by Stangs55

For Major I use 4.4gr of Ramshot Competition with Xtreme 200gr RN bullet seated at 1.185". Makes between 172-176 power factor in all my .40 STI guns. When I shoot Minor I use exactly the same recipe except I substitute a 155gr RN bullet seated to the same depth. It makes a comfortable 135-140 power factor. I literally only change the bullets I put in the loading tray on my press.

Many folks do the same thing. Hope that helps as a starting place.

Cheers623

DVC

I tried everything and standardized on 180gr for everything. I use 2.8gr e3 for 140PF and 3.6gr for 172PF. Both give single digit SDs.

Your grip and your recoil spring will both contribute to the amount of muzzle flip you get. Buy sample packs of 140, 155, 165 and 180 and try them. I'm definitely not in the 200gr crowd, but many like them.

I shoot 180 grains for minor and major. It would help if we know what powder you have to recommend load data. Pistol powder isn't super easy to get but it is freeing up a bit. So you may have to work something out with what you have on hand and wait until one of the favors powders become available.

I shoot 180 grains for minor and major. It would help if we know what powder you have to recommend load data. Pistol powder isn't super easy to get but it is freeing up a bit. So you may have to work something out with what you have on hand and wait until one of the favors powders become available.

I have some Tite Group, Bullseye, and WST.

(Just found the TG the other day and snatched up two 4 pounders)