Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Production Mags in NJ

So some gun manufacturers make 10 rd. 9mm magazines for states that have restrictions on magazine capacity, like MA and CA. We all know this. But in NJ, the cap is 15 rounds. What are you guys doing to your mamagazines in regards to this - using the 10 rd. mags, somehow permanently blocking hi capacity mags, or something else? I guess this could be a broader question regarding gun ownership in NJ in general, but I'd like to know how competitive shooters handle this law specifically.

Thanks, gang.

It depends on what gun you're shooting. CZ and Beretta (92/M9) have factory 15 rd mags. There are also guys out there that permanently alter mags that hold more than 15. For me I just buy the 10 rd mags for my production guns. It's the less costly route.

Hiker88, I'd like to shoot my cajunized P-09. It's still en route from Dave. Unfortunately, CZ doesn't make either the 10 or 15 rd. mags for this gun.

I guess I'll have to send my mags into Springer Precision or some other place that can provide similar services. I just wouldn't know how to do it myself, or even if I'm allowed to if I learned how. I'd still appreciate it if other NJ comp shooters/gun owners would chime in. My concern with modified mags would be feeding issues and reliability, how to clean them, etc.

Competitive shooters handle it by complying with the law......

I wasn't asking or even implying how to circumvent any laws. I'm sorry you interpreted the original post that way.

You should have order the gun in 40. Modifying mags permanently to meet the oddball 15rd limit is not a good long term solution. Mags need maintenance esp when dropped in sandy or wet conditions. Also all the CZ75 variants in 9mm have 10rd mags. If not too late I would change your order with Dave.

I used to live in NJ. I would either use 10 round mags or mags blocked to 15 rounds. A lot of gun shops in NJ will block mags to 15 rounds for you. Although many of them will then permanently attach the baseplate so you can't disassemble them; not ideal for competition mags that often get dropped in the dirt/sand. You could ask around at local gun shops to see if they will block mags for you.

I'm not familiar with the P-09, but I just googled it and it appears that CZ now does make 10 round mags for it. That's probably the easiest route to take.

The other issue is finding a FFL willing to accept the P-09 as-is. I would give Bullseye Tactical a call to discuss. Or try RTSP. I know a friend that bought a P320 9mm through RTSP and they sent the mags out to be modified.

Thanks, Russell. I've done a pretty extensive internet search for 10 rounders for the p09. They're not made (yet). I know they have 10 rounders for the p07 though.

What about these?

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/11625_Mag-Cz-P09-9mm-10rd

http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=173&products_id=1576&zenid=a7b598c343cf385898886c2439072013