Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Recommendation? Taran Tactical G34? CZ Custom SP-01? Holster optio

I'm primarily interested in shooting Steel Challenge, 3 Gun, and Pro-Am. I may pick up USPSA or IDPA in the future, but I'm just dipping my toe into competition shooting this summer. Seems like the only restrictions for those main 3 is just having iron sights and no muzzle brake.

I'm considering the G34 due to my familiarity with shooting my Glock 19, but I'd like to send it off to Taran Tactical for their RTS package. Like the Gen4 MOS for its red dot option for fun, but I'm told the Gen3 is preferable due to its superior trigger pull?

The other option I'm considering is a CZ SP-01 of some sort from their custom shop. I tried out a regular CZ SP-01 before and liked it with the exception of the trigger reset and having to learn the double action pull. I'm wondering if a custom version would be better. I was told by the Steel Challenge guys that they're the best of the best, but I was warned by the 3 Gun fellas that they're not utilized much due to its safety and tossing them into buckets can knock the safety off.

Finally... are there good holster recommendations for either of them?

I am not a great shooter at any of the games you've listed. But I've shot everything there but Pro-Am. The top guys in USPSA Production mostly shoot all metal guns. I shot a class this weekend with some pretty good IDPA guys who all shot Glocks.

It's really personal preference. I don't like the grip of any Glock I've ever held. On my Shadow, I use about the biggest grips available and I can still hit the mag release without breaking my grip.

I shoot an SP-01 Shadow (CZCustom 91030) with a short reset trigger. It's not quite a 1911 trigger. But almost. I've had CZ shooters, who haven't shot this trigger before, go "damn" when they try it.

Realistically, try both and decide.

If you do go with the SP-01, you can do things with the safety to make it stiffer so it's less likely to get knocked off. There's a guy named Steve Perman who sells stiffer strings for the safety.

I have both a G17 and a SP-01. I prefer the Glock for 3Gun, and the CZ for USPSA. I've only shot steel challenge once and used the CZ, and never shot a pro-am.

I think it really comes down to personal preference. If you can shoot a Glock well, they are very versatile. For other games where you start in single action I would think the CZ has a slight advantage, but would a true SAO gun would be better than either choice.

Both the CZ and Glock are versatile, adaptable and suitable for a variety of the games we play and it would be hard to go wrong with either.

If you liked the sp01 but are worried about the safety get the tactical version. Love mine and the triggers can be made great. Check out cgw.

I used to have an SP01 and currently use a G34. I'd suggest Blade Tech holsters for both, the dropped and offset holster for the SP01 the is quite nice and not too expensive.

Right now I have a cheaper model blade tech for the G34 which works ok, but is a little short (meant for a G17 or 19) and not dropped and offset. I will soon be replacing it with a Blade Tech Black Ice, which is the same as the SP01 holster I mentioned but with a larger front opening.

I totally understand the "steel" gun fetish and such. But for me, the grip angle of the Glock, especially with a textured grip gives me splits equal to my finest Infinity Limited pistols. Nothing close to the same accuracy, but speed shooting is very similar at close targets. I've fondled those CZ type guns and just didn't care for the sharp edges of the safeties......

Either gun will work, so pick the one that you shoot the best.

I disagree somewhat about the dumping in 3Gun. Quite a few top shooters run 2011's, which has a safety. In the matches I do, most of the time you have to abandon empty. I simply make it all the time empty as the few seconds will not mean much to my overall scores. I am also not a top shooter, or even close. So, you could dump with the safety, just be a bit more careful. Matches in this area you only start with the pistol fully loaded if that is the first gun you will be using, otherwise it is magazine inserted only (have to rack to start a pistol section).

I have been running a CZ 75B for years ( or a 1911 SS ) for USPSA, 3Gun, and SC. I am looking for a new one, and the G34/35 Gen 4 is on my list. A new CZ is higher though, and I may opt for the SP01 Tactical (decocker) full of CGW parts.

I totally understand the "steel" gun fetish and such. But for me, the grip angle of the Glock, especially with a textured grip gives me splits equal to my finest Infinity Limited pistols. Nothing close to the same accuracy, but speed shooting is very similar at close targets. I've fondled those CZ type guns and just didn't care for the sharp edges of the safeties......

Get different safeties. I am not a fan of stock SP-01 safeties. It's easy to install lower profile safeties. If you were buying a gun from CZ custom, something I recommend, you could get the safeties you wanted out of the box.