Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Open has a new trigger pull 2.5# vs 2.0# in January ?

Austin111

I have one of these on order and considering an alternative. Just saw they bumped up trigger to 2.5#.

What else is going to change before release?? Name change to Grand Master II ?

First pic from STI FACEBOOK Jan 2015.

Second from STI Website today.

Not happy at the moment...

post-59089-0-55647600-1430489604_thumb.j

post-59089-0-94249400-1430489614_thumb.j

Phhhtt! I can change it from 2.5# to 2# in about 10 minutes. Nothing to get worked up over.

I just dropped $3,500 on a new CK Arms open gun, and it wasn't lighting off the primers on my major ammo, (WSR primers.) The trigger was 2#, but the hammer fall seemed pretty weak to me. Took me about 20 minutes of tinkering. I replaced the mainspring with a 19#, (which upped the trigger pull to 2.5#), then tweaked the sear spring until I got it back to around 2#. The hammer fall is much heavier now. We'll see how it sets off the primers this afternoon after I get off work.

Point is, it's nothing that can't be adjusted by someone that knows what they're doing. Certainly nothing to cancel an order over, if that's the gun you really want.

I agree it's not a massive deal. BUT I also understand the op's point of view. The 2lb trigger was one of the highlighted features that the new DVC has over the old Sti open guns. It implied a higher degree of fitting of the trigger parts and that in combination with the new seat and hammer yielded a nice 2lb trigger.

I don't think I'd cancel my order over it, but I am curious to know why it's changed.

I did get a chance to try the DVC trigger on the Open and Limited guns at the Florida Open. Brazos had them on display. Both were so much nicer than a stock STI trigger and I would have been happy with them. I was surprised though that the grip safety wasn't pinned or disabled. That is another quick thing to fix, but for a Competition gun I expected that to be taken care of already.

I'm more concerned with the 'feel' of the trigger. I want sub 3#'s, but to me, as long as there is a 'wall' that I can feel to prep the trigger to, its good to go for me.

Everyone is different though.

I am curious to know why it's changed.

Probably lawyers.

I was surprised though that the grip safety wasn't pinned or disabled. That is another quick thing to fix, but for a Competition gun I expected that to be taken care of already.

Wasn't pinned on my $3,500 CK Arms open gun either. Again, not something that can't be fixed, but definitely something I'd expect to be done already on a competition gun from a custom builder, as oppsosed to a larger manufacturer like STI.

Disabling a safety is a no-no for gun manufacturers.

Hogwash! It's not disabling it if that's the way it's designed to be that way when you manufacture it. There are no "gun police" who decide whether it's ok for a manufacturer to disable a grip safety.

The thumb safety is the primary safety on a 1911 style pistol.

Edited by Parallax3D

Hogwash! It's not disabling it if that's the way it's designed to be that way when you manufacture it. There are no "gun police" who decide whether it's ok for a manufacturer to disable a grip safety.

1911s have been designed with grip safety's for over 100 years. Its a liability issue for a gunsmith/gun builder to sell a gun with a disabled safety. Now once the customer gets it, they can do whatever they want to it. Let me know when you find a builder who will sell you a gun they made with a disabled safety device. If they do, bet you have to sign a release of liability. Edited by ParaGunner

1911s have been designed with grip safety's for over 100 years. Its a liability issue for a gunsmith/gun builder to sell a gun with a disabled safety. Now once the customer gets it, they can do whatever they want to it. Let me know when you find a builder who will sell you a gun they made with a disabled safety device. If they do, bet you have to sign a release of liability.

Novak does an in-house conversion called "the answer" that totally removes the 1911 grip safety. AFAIK, no "release of liability" is required. This smacks of the age-old argument of "gunsmiths won't do trigger jobs that are below X number of pounds because of liability," A gunmith has no liability if the gun operates as intended. If you ASK them to disable the grip safety, they can't be liable for anything, because it's not faulty work.

And if you want to get technical, the original design of the 1911 had no THUMB safety! Just because something has always been done that way, it doesn't mean it's the correct way.

I don't see it as a big issue in them not pinning the grip safety as it's not a must have. None of mine are pinned and I have no interest in having them pinned as it's not an issue for me. If left workinf the buyer can pin it if try choose to

Not a huge issue, (I can do it myself.) Just surprised that it wasn't done on what is essentially a custom $3,500.00 open gun.
It's one of those things most open shooters seem to like to have done, since it's not required by USPSA rules, and it keeps it from being a problem on strong-hand/weak-hand stages, (which is where most grip safeties fail to activate.)

1911s have been designed with grip safety's for over 100 years. Its a liability issue for a gunsmith/gun builder to sell a gun with a disabled safety. Now once the customer gets it, they can do whatever they want to it. Let me know when you find a builder who will sell you a gun they made with a disabled safety device. If they do, bet you have to sign a release of liability.

Novak does an in-house conversion called "the answer" that totally removes the 1911 grip safety. AFAIK, no "release of liability" is required. This smacks of the age-old argument of "gunsmiths won't do trigger jobs that are below X number of pounds because of liability," A gunmith has no liability if the gun operates as intended. If you ASK them to disable the grip safety, they can't be liable for anything, because it's not faulty work.

And if you want to get technical, the original design of the 1911 had no THUMB safety! Just because something has always been done that way, it doesn't mean it's the correct way.

This is a different manufacturer and a totally different gun, but when I sent my XDm to the Springfield Armory Custom Shop, I had to sign a waiver for them to do anything less than a 3.5# trigger pull. Attached is the waiver they sent.

post-57380-0-55261400-1431119751_thumb.j

Edited by smokedbmw

This is a different manufacturer and a totally different gun, but when I sent my XDm to the Springfield Armory Custom Shop, I had to sign a waiver for them to do anything less than a 3.5# trigger pull. Attached is the waiver they sent.

Commercial manufacturer. Usually a different story than a small custom gunsmith. Large commercial manufacturers have lawyers that make them do things like that purely as a CYA measure.

Hello: I will bet they put out the gun with a 2-2 1/2lb trigger pull since they know it will lighten up some after a while. A good 3lb trigger feels a lot better than a crappy 2lb trigger by the way. I like 2 1/4lb crisp triggers. Thanks, Eric