Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Experience with CK Arms Thunder Limited?

tyler2you

Well, I couldn't stand having a new gun sit in the safe unshot, so I got out of work early and went to the indoor range. I had loaded up some longer rounds to try out (1.170 OAL) and also brought some of my standard loads which are at 1.130 OAL. I started out with the longer rounds and had one bobble at round #7. The round didn't fully chamber and it took a quick rap on the back of the slide to get it to go. I had a total of 200 rounds and I'm happy to report that the one failure was the only one I had. I was a bit surprised that it ran the shorter loads without issue after all I've read about problems with standard length loads in the Edge and other 2011s.

I was limited to slow fire due to range rules, but I found the gun shot very flat and recoil was very mild. I'm used to shooting a pretty heavy gun (CZ TS that's 44 oz). This gun weighs 37 oz empty, but shot every bit as soft as the TS. I assume it's mainly due to the lightened slide and maybe the polymer grip. I did struggle a little with quick reloads and had to shift my grip slightly. One great thing about the TS for me is that I can maintain my grip while activating the very long mag release. Not sure if there's a solution or if I just need to adjust.

I shot at 10 and 15 yards and accuracy was excellent. I have no doubt the gun is way more accurate than I am.

Gratuitous pic below:

The solution to not shifting your grip with reloads is a mag release button. If you mag release isn't threaded then you will need to get one of those or drill and tap the one you have. The button depending on the style you choose can be cut down and trimmed so that it is just the size that you need.

Jeff

I've got the Dawson Low Profile Button currently on the gun. Maybe I need a longer release or a larger button.

Did you want the Low Pro button, or is that how it came?

Planning on ordering a CK here soon and I will want a bigger button

I added the button myself. It comes threaded, but bare.

• 1 month later...

It has been a solid gun. I've got around 3,000 rounds through it and it has been near perfect reliability wise. It's a great option if you want a gun quick. If you can wait a few months, I'd buy one from Atlas Gunworks to get a true custom build that you could spec out exactly as you wanted.

Edited by tyler2you

• 1 month later...

is there any "sharpness" to the serrations on the slide...or are they somewhat rounded off to not tear your fingers/hand apart.

They are not sharp and I've had no issues with finger/hand damage from the slide.

• 2 weeks later...

And now it's perfect. SVI IEE grip with aggressive micro pockets installed by Doug Jones at acc-u-rail. The grip fits my hand perfectly. I did take some sandpaper to a couple of spots on the grip that were chewing up my hand in dry fire. I've got the Skater Terrain version on my Atlas gun and this one works better for me all around. Not sure how to describe it, but it doesn't grab your hand until you've applied full grip pressure. I haven't had an issue with a poor grip on the draw since I got this installed. Also, don't know if the dimensions differ, but I can get to the mag release without shifting my grip on this one, but not on the Skater Terrain version.

15g8mma.jpg

I shot the Georgia State Match with it this weekend and the gun performed much better than me. I think the round count was 264 and I didn't have a single malfunction (wish I could say the same for my mental game). I did have to clean my mags after every stage due to the sandy/silty surface.

Edited by tyler2you

Nice!!

Does the Infinity grip change the balance of the gun significantly

I feel like it balances perfectly now. It was a little nose heavy before with the full dust cover and bull barrel.

I'm thinking about having the grip Melonited to match the rest of the gun, but not sure I want to let it go for a couple of weeks.

Edited by tyler2you

Ck has steel grips and i think its cheaper than the svi's

The difference is probably less than you think. The SVI grip includes a magwell, mainspring housing, trigger insert, mag catch, and button. The CK grip comes bare.

Not true

"The CK Arms metal grip kit includes the grip, mag release, mainspring housing and magwell."

http://www.ckarms.com/store/grips/51-ck-arms-metal-grip-kit.html

Only difference would be the trigger insert.. now you've got me looking at SVI grips..

Edited by earthshine402

Ck has steel grips and i think its cheaper than the svi's

The difference is probably less than you think. The SVI grip includes a magwell, mainspring housing, trigger insert, mag catch, and button. The CK grip comes bare.

Not true

"The CK Arms metal grip kit includes the grip, mag release, mainspring housing and magwell."

http://www.ckarms.com/store/grips/51-ck-arms-metal-grip-kit.html

Only difference would be the trigger insert.. now you've got me looking at SVI grips..

My bad--I was thinking about the PT Grip.

Couple of other small differences: SVI grip has a threaded mag release with a nice button and a stainless magwell perfectly blended to the frame. Texturing of course is also different and I hear the micropockets are much more agressive than the CK texture, but that's based on second hand comments.

Edited by tyler2you

• 4 weeks later...

How is the gun now? Still no malfunctions?

Had one malf on the first stage of a match a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what caused it, but I couldn't rack the slide and had to drop the mag to clear it. I'm sure it was ammo related as the gun ran without a hitch the rest of the match.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing those! It helps get an idea of how the gun handles. :D

Nice shooting, great pistol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk