Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Experience with CK Arms Thunder Limited?

tyler2you

I was considering getting on the list for one of the STI DVCs, but came across this gun at SC:

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CK-Arms-Thunder-Limited-Gun-40-SW-P3790.aspx

I like the looks and the specs look great (EGW fire control parts, EB Grip Safety, Wilson Safety and SS, etc.). I haven't seen any reviews or pictures yet though. I'm sure it's a well built gun based on the reputation of the owners. Only drawback versus the DVC is it doesn't include any mags whereas the DVC includes 2.

Anyone have any experience with this gun?

same post about a week ago only difference is guy was asking about an open gun...

I think you will get the gist

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=213784&hl=%2Bck+%2Barms#entry2378286

Yep, saw that one. Just seemed like generalities based on company reputation. Was hoping someone actually had some hands-on experience with the CK gun.

i've shot my BIL's ck limited (not the thunder but with bushing barrel and no slide cuts) 9mm twice now and it's a very nice gun. again, not having any hands on the DVC i can't tell the diff, but i'm sure it's not any worse.

I own one and love it. The gun has been very good once I replaced the 2 bad magazines. Bobby has treated me well. I would buy another gun from freedom gunworks or cheely or ck arms in a heartbeat

Edited by Mike21STI

I've been looking for more info on the CK limited guns also, I did get to fondle them at SC a few days ago and was impressed with the overall fit and feel of the pistols, thinking it may be time to put the Glock down..

Just waiting for some more info/reviews to come in

Edited by bigbent

another 200-250 rounds thru my BIL's CK limited hardcore 9mm yesterday at a steel match, no malfs using speer lawman 124g. but then again, no malfs with my CRP & tuned Eagle using 124g blazer aluminum nor with my box-stock steelmaster using 115g wwb. BIL used the CK in his afternoon run and actually scored a little better (ie faster) in his morning run with his CRP un-tuned Edge shooting .40 minor.

I've been looking for more info on the CK limited guns also, I did get to fondle them at SC a few days ago and was impressed with the overall fit and feel of the pistols, thinking it may be time to put the Glock down..

Just waiting for some more info/reviews to come in

Please don't feel bad :unsure: I have been putting Glock Down for many years. Still do. Looks like a good gun, plus they got some.

JMHO

Gun came in today and I'm very happy with it. A few observations:

- First thing I noticed is this thing is fit very snug. I could discern absolutely no movement when pressing down or trying to move the slide side to side. Barrel also exhibits no movement at the muzzle or hood area. Racking the slide feels a little sluggish. Not Les Baer tight, but almost.

- Blend of the frame to slide at the rear is perfect.

- Safety is fit well and while easy to operate, has a distinctive snick when moving between positions

- It came with a standard full length guide rod which I immediately replaced with a Dawson Tool-less. Based on my uncalibrated hand, recoil spring feels similar to my other 12lb springs.

- Aftec Extractor came with one of two springs installed. Note in the box said to install the second spring after break-in.

- Grip texturing is very aggressive, but not uncomfortable. Undercut is a little roughly done, but not too bad.

- Average of 10 trigger pulls on my Lyman Gauge was 2lbs 14 oz and very crisp. No creep whatsoever. Sear displays even contact from the hammer hooks.

- Rear sight is a Kensight model with a .120 notch. Front blade is .110W and .180T. First upgrade will be a Dawson .090W Fiber Optic front sight.

- Mainspring housing is polymer along with the trigger. I may upgrade trigger to an SVI unit.

Based on my experience, I'd put this gun in the same category as the semi-custom 1911 builders (Wilson, Baer, Brown). It's very nice, but missing a few of the touches you would get on a true custom. For example, the edges on the muzzle end of the slide/frame aren't chamfered and the leaf spring edges aren't stoned/polished where they contact the sear and trigger bow. You are however getting a lot of nice custom features such as a tri-topped slide, lightening cuts, excellent fire control and other small parts, and a superb trigger.

I'll report back after I shoot it. Probably not this weekend as I have a match and I'm not ready to roll this one out yet.

5468581.jpg

5468579.jpg

5468578.jpg

5468575.jpg

Well, I couldn't stand having a new gun sit in the safe unshot, so I got out of work early and went to the indoor range. I had loaded up some longer rounds to try out (1.170 OAL) and also brought some of my standard loads which are at 1.130 OAL. I started out with the longer rounds and had one bobble at round #7. The round didn't fully chamber and it took a quick rap on the back of the slide to get it to go. I had a total of 200 rounds and I'm happy to report that the one failure was the only one I had. I was a bit surprised that it ran the shorter loads without issue after all I've read about problems with standard length loads in the Edge and other 2011s.

I was limited to slow fire due to range rules, but I found the gun shot very flat and recoil was very mild. I'm used to shooting a pretty heavy gun (CZ TS that's 44 oz). This gun weighs 37 oz empty, but shot every bit as soft as the TS. I assume it's mainly due to the lightened slide and maybe the polymer grip. I did struggle a little with quick reloads and had to shift my grip slightly. One great thing about the TS for me is that I can maintain my grip while activating the very long mag release. Not sure if there's a solution or if I just need to adjust.

I shot at 10 and 15 yards and accuracy was excellent. I have no doubt the gun is way more accurate than I am.

Gratuitous pic below:

j5ute0.jpg

Well, I couldn't stand having a new gun sit in the safe unshot, so I got out of work early and went to the indoor range. I had loaded up some longer rounds to try out (1.170 OAL) and also brought some of my standard loads which are at 1.130 OAL. I started out with the longer rounds and had one bobble at round #7. The round didn't fully chamber and it took a quick rap on the back of the slide to get it to go. I had a total of 200 rounds and I'm happy to report that the one failure was the only one I had. I was a bit surprised that it ran the shorter loads without issue after all I've read about problems with standard length loads in the Edge and other 2011s.

I was limited to slow fire due to range rules, but I found the gun shot very flat and recoil was very mild. I'm used to shooting a pretty heavy gun (CZ TS that's 44 oz). This gun weighs 37 oz empty, but shot every bit as soft as the TS. I assume it's mainly due to the lightened slide and maybe the polymer grip. I did struggle a little with quick reloads and had to shift my grip slightly. One great thing about the TS for me is that I can maintain my grip while activating the very long mag release. Not sure if there's a solution or if I just need to adjust.

I shot at 10 and 15 yards and accuracy was excellent. I have no doubt the gun is way more accurate than I am.

Gratuitous pic below:

j5ute0.jpg

The solution to not shifting your grip with reloads is a mag release button. If you mag release isn't threaded then you will need to get one of those or drill and tap the one you have. The button depending on the style you choose can be cut down and trimmed so that it is just the size that you need.

Jeff

Gratuitous pic below:

j5ute0.jpg

The solution to not shifting your grip with reloads is a mag release button. If you mag release isn't threaded then you will need to get one of those or drill and tap the one you have. The button depending on the style you choose can be cut down and trimmed so that it is just the size that you need.

Jeff

I've got the Dawson Low Profile Button currently on the gun. Maybe I need a longer release or a larger button.

Gratuitous pic below:

j5ute0.jpg

Jeff

I've got the Dawson Low Profile Button currently on the gun. Maybe I need a longer release or a larger button.

Did you want the Low Pro button, or is that how it came?

Planning on ordering a CK here soon and I will want a bigger button