Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8.5lb Hammer Spring Questions (SP-01)

Malarkey

I just switched out my hammer spring to a 8.5 CGW from a 11.5# spring. I also have the reduced trigger spring and extended firing pin.

My question is, if I am only using federal primers with this combo, which is all i have ever used, can I expect any issues?

So far I have ~2500rds on my 8.5#, and no issues with Federal primers.

Do you do anything special when reloading - such as "crushing" the primer in like revolver shooters do? Or just load them as normal and shoot?

I seat all my primers deep, I don't think k I crush them though.

"Crush" is sort of a relative term...most revolver shooters will seat the primer very deep, to the point where the anvil will make a mark usually and it is visually noticeable that its very deep in the pocket. They usually call it crushing the primer, this is what I did when I was shooting my "Carmonized" 627. This aids in reliable ignition of the primer with very light DA pulls from the revolver. I was thinking with the 8.5 lb spring, this might have to be crushed or seated very deep. Sounds like Leadpilot does this and you are seating them deep so this is probably a good practice with this spring.

What kind of DA/SA trigger pull weights are you guys getting with the 8.5?

I seat them and they get a light mark them, so I guess that's crushing them. That's how I've always seated the primer, so its not something I did specifically for the CZ

When I first installed the spring, it was around 4.5/2, now I'm at about 4 and 1.5

c8a661991cdd076653573095abed6f29.jpg

This is ammo for my Limited gun. I seat all my primers the same.

d9e09c0458f1147b4618f0792c5cfc83.jpg

Edited by Quack

i have ran that combo and had zero issues with federal primers set to the proper depth. they are the ONLY primer that has worked for me in thsi config.

So you have tried some others and they didn't work? Which ones?

Sent from the range

I was given 500 WPA primers. And amazingly with the 8.5 hammer spring they all went off first time no problem. I might never buy another federal primer.

Edited by hangin

how would a worn/ used FP spring result in light strikes???, slow this morning ,need more coffee i guess

It wouldn't. What a worn firing srping could do is cause the firing pin to bind which could cause the firing pin retaining block to fall out.