Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124gr JHP & Lee Seating Die

ES13Raven

• 2 months later...

Since it was only $8 - I decided to order a custom seating plug from Lee Precision. I'm glad I did.

I think this will make a difference in consistently seating the bullet straight.

Standard Lee 9mm seating plug on the left, custom seating plug on the right:

Custom plug is deeper, and cone is not as narrow:

hfMPavlm.png

JHP does not seat flush in the standard plug:
u8JOszZm.png

T802tOjm.png

The most accurate ammo I make is with either Hornady HAP JHP or Precision Delta JHP's done with a standard Lee seating die.

That being said, for $8 it might be worth it to see if I can squeeze out a little more accuracy. I've blown more than $8 on a lot worse things.

Since it was only $8 - I decided to order a custom seating plug from Lee Precision. I'm glad I did.

I think this will make a difference in consistently seating the bullet straight.

Standard Lee 9mm seating plug on the left, custom seating plug on the right:

Custom plug is deeper, and cone is not as narrow:

hfMPavlm.png

JHP does not seat flush in the standard plug:

u8JOszZm.png

T802tOjm.png

Interesting - haven't had any issues w/standard Lee seater + MG 124gr JHPs, but $8 is, well - nothing.

Did you have to send them a bullet, or ?

Interesting - haven't had any issues w/standard Lee seater + MG 124gr JHPs, but $8 is, well - nothing.

Did you have to send them a bullet, or ?

Yeah, you have to mail in a bullet so they give you an exact match.

What Sees Sights Lift wrote.

If your bullet "wiggles" in the seating stem, get a "real" seating stem.

For Lee, you send them 2-3 bullets and a check and you get your new stem in about two weeks.

Be sure to tell them what you want.

I tell them that I want the stem to contact the bullet low on the bullet's ogive and not to contact the meplat at all.

For full wadcutters, I want the stem to contact the bullet's outer edge/shoulder and NOT contact the "button nose"/round nub at the center of almost all my HBWCs (I rejected the perfectly flat seating stem they sent me with pictures of the nub being flattened during seating--may not make any difference while shooting, but that long wadcutter needs all the guidance it can get and balancing off the nub and flattening it did not seem like the way to go.

​For SWCs, I want the seating stem to ONLY contact the bullet's shoulder. Once I've adjusted for one SWC, I have the setting for all SWCs.