Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 plastic grip

RobertLx

• 1 month later...

I'll let you know how my stippling project goes :devil:

Did you ever get around to trying this??? Are you doing this on a large or small frame Stock II. I would love to find a pair of large frame plastic grips to stipple for my Stock II. Anyone know where I can get hold of a pair???

• 1 month later...

I see these grips are back in stock from EAA. I ordered a set to play with! Has anyone else gotten these grips and tried stippling them??? Results??? Pictures???

If they turn out nice, $22 is way better than the price for any of those aluminum grips! ($100+)

Edited by EngineerEli

https://coppergungrips.com/

Email Nick and tell him what you want, he can hook you up.

Does he just get the plastic ones and stipple them, or does he manufacture his own from scratch. I though I remembered hearing something about someone that was offering the Lava Rock textured grips for our guns but that people weren't completely happy with them. Either way, I already ordered a pair so I'll give it a try and report back here.

I ordered them and have the test copy, he is making the changes I requested, I'm not rushing him because he hasn't charged me anything yet. He molds them from scratch and can do anything you want.

I probably have 3000 rounds on the test copy and they are great.

I will be ordering another set, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Stage 1 Complete!

I ended up cutting the grips just below the word Tanfoglio to fit the S2 frame. I just used a simple hack saw and then cleaned it up. I also had to fit the tab that limits how far up the grip will slide in the frame, so that the screw holes lined up. You can see the grip is actually a little thicker at the bottom than it is at the top. They definitely seem slimmer/flatter than the wood grips, but I will have to take an actual measurement later. the grips also seem to go farther back than the wood grips, but in the hand they still feel good.

post-33893-0-09253500-1438964744_thumb.jpost-33893-0-04311100-1438964755_thumb.jpost-33893-0-36819100-1438964764_thumb.jpost-33893-0-79611300-1438964785_thumb.j

I ended up stippling the same area that originally had the texturing on it. I think it turned out looking pretty good, but after handling the gun a bit, I feel like i would prefer some more stippled area to improve the weak hand palm traction. I am considering stippling the area where the thumb rest is, but I'm still trying to decide how best to do it. I could stipple right over it and leave the hump. I could sand it flat then stipple it. Or, I could try using a flat soldering iron tip and try melting it flat, then stippling it. I may also stipple more to the rear, but i'm not sure yet.

post-33893-0-98492600-1438964796_thumb.jpost-33893-0-10483600-1438964806_thumb.j

Tip: I find a lot of similarities between welding thin metal and Stippling plastic. You can't put too much heat into any one place. If you do you will loose control of what you are doing, or burn all the way through. I found the stippling worked best by simply tapping the grip with a dull pencil tipped soldering iron tip, and moving around the grip constantly. I would just keep moving to a new area where it looked like there was still some original texture left. The key is to keep moving around and not press to hard or long with each tap.

Unless the grips have changed in the last year the "stripes" on the plastic grip are an insert that are made out of a rubber material with the rest of the grip being a hard plastic. I purchased a Witness 45 with those grips and after a few uses the stripes started to come off. The glue that holds them on does not hold up to heat very well. I ended up pulling the stripes off and stippling my grips similar to yours with a pencil tip on my iron. Since your "stripes" are stippled into the grip you may not have an issue with them separating, but it is something to look out for.

The Witness pistols do not have any checkering on the front or back straps, just vertical lines milled in. I ended up stippling the smooth part of the grips next to the front and back strap. That made them much more "grippier" for me and I was able to hold the pistol better.

• 1 month later...

Finished stippling the grips! I actually noticed the two different densities of plastic while stippling but after going over the hole thing I was able to get the texture all pretty even. It adds a nice level of grippyness. I shot one match with them so far and the seem pretty good. Only thing is they are much more flat in shape than the wood stock grips. I liked the rounded profile of the wood ones, I'm still not sure which ones I am going to stick with... It was actually a fun project, I enjoy the transformation you can make when stippling grips, if anyone wanted a par, I may be willing to make a few more.

Pics:

post-33893-0-53489600-1443290605_thumb.jpost-33893-0-32278600-1443290611_thumb.j

Soldering iron tip I used:

post-33893-0-21760900-1443290654_thumb.j