Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TACCOM LW "Plastic" buffer vs removing weights from a buffer

ryan77

Does anyone have opinions on if the result would be that much different between using the Taccom system vs removing the weights from a buffer? I'm not trying to be a cheapo, I have a Vltor A5 Buffer system (rifle spring with hybrid length buffer) so it would removing the weights in a buffer vs buying a Taccom rifle system and trimming length off it.

Edited by ryan77

I first lightened my rifle buffer to 2.9 oz, then gutted it to an empty rifle buffer that I ran for a while before getting the Taccom LW unit. Running a full mass bcg and factory ammo the gutted rifle buffer and Taccom LW both had a less sight movement than the 2.9 oz buffer. Playing with powder charges in my reloads and backing down from 25 gr of H335 behind 55 gr fmj to 24.7 gr helped reduce sight movement even more and felt less harsh. Can't say that if you handed me my rifle with either the empty buffer or the Taccom unit in it and didn't tell me which one was in it that I could tell a difference. I will keep running it now that I have it for sure though.

I first lightened my rifle buffer to 2.9 oz, then gutted it to an empty rifle buffer that I ran for a while before getting the Taccom LW unit. Running a full mass bcg and factory ammo the gutted rifle buffer and Taccom LW both had a less sight movement than the 2.9 oz buffer. Playing with powder charges in my reloads and backing down from 25 gr of H335 behind 55 gr fmj to 24.7 gr helped reduce sight movement even more and felt less harsh. Can't say that if you handed me my rifle with either the empty buffer or the Taccom unit in it and didn't tell me which one was in it that I could tell a difference. I will keep running it now that I have it for sure though.

Do you have an adjustible gas block?

I run regular CAR buffers with all the weights removed in my match rifles. Rifle length gas system. Adjustable gas block set to lock the gun open on empty. Lightweight carrier. All the rifles shoot soft and with 100% reliability.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Do you have an adjustible gas block?

No, I do not. Ignoring the manufacturers warnings and playing with fire. 18" Nordic barrel. That's why I've been playing with powder charges and and buffer springs. Tested some with a standard rifle spring, both Tubb flat wire springs(the extra power would not cycle), and now a TTI spring. I've had all the parts besides the Taccom lw and the TTI spring around from various suppressed rifle experiments so been seeing what I can do to get the best results for me. Threw in both the extra parts when I ordered other gear because for the price I figured might as well experiment while shipping other orders.

Somebody who knows a lot more about ARs and low mass could correct me, but I couldn't see why 12 oz split between the buffer and the bcg would matter which component it was located in. As long as it cycled with no malfunctions.

Edited by TyinTX

• 4 weeks later...

I just removed all the weights froma carbine buffer and I am giving it a go with a VooDoo low mass bcg and the SLR adjustable gas block. I can't tell if I am getting any reduction in recoil. Might throw it all back to full mass and compare.