Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blank Firing Hi Power?

I just picked up a FN Hi Power which I ordered from AIM Surplus.

When I was cleaning it up I noticed the barrel was threaded on the inside at the muzzle end and there was a plug screwed down the barrel. the plug has a .22 hole in the center and looks like it could be removed with an allen key. I didn't take the barrel out but the barrel appears to have had some grinding done to it and I am sure the locking lugs have been removed. This has to be a mod to make it fire blanks. It was imported by Mach1 who says they are Israeli police/correction officer turn ins. Could this have used at a correction or detention facility??

post-20559-0-95609200-1427434041_thumb.j

post-20559-0-96248200-1427434082_thumb.j

I doubt a prison guard would feel totally comfortable with a blank firing weapon !! :roflol::roflol::roflol:

I agree but on the other side of the coin you would not want a prisoner to get a functional firearn either.

There is a possibility they were carried as more of a deterent than anything else. Also if a prisoner were to get one and not know it would not fire a projectile that could give officers an adavntage in dealing with a situation.

Edited by Lubecktech

I doubt a prison guard would feel totally comfortable with a blank firing weapon !! :roflol::roflol::roflol:

I agree but on the other side of the coin you would not want a prisoner to get a functional firearn either.

There is a possibility they were carried as more of a deterent than anything else. Also if a prisoner were to get one and not know it would not fire a projectile that could give officers an adavntage in dealing with a situation.

Don't think the Israelis would do this. Other countries, possibly, but not them. I agree with the prop/movie gun theory. The plug could be changed to different sized orifices depending on what charge of blank is used. (they make a number of different loads depending on the effect desired and the proximity of the "target" ;)

I field stripped it tonight and the locking lugs have been ground off so there is no doubt it is a blank conversion.

Also I don't see any proof marks which are generally seen on Israeli guns so at this point I am inclined to think it is a movie prop. I contacted the folks at AIM Surplus who probably think I'm crazy but wanted to see some pictures. The scary part of this is that the chamber has not been altered and it will chamber a normal round.

post-20559-0-81265900-1427513913_thumb.j

The muzzle is threaded and there is a device which has a place for an allen wrench screwed inside the barrel.

Fire control is intact and a round will fit into the chamber.

Definately scary!!!!!!!

I knew something was wrong as soon as I looked at it because there was really nasty tool marks on the part of the barrel visible thru the ejector port.

Edited by Lubecktech

You might try to track down the history of the gun through FN, sometimes movie prop guns can be quite valuable it they were used in a popular movie and it's "heritage" can be documented. I think all you would have to do to make it functional would be to change the barrel. That's usually the only thing that is messed with to make it cycle on blanks.