Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA .45 trophy match problems, help appreciated.

jtrump

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jtrump, it looks like you have already solved your problem. When you apply pressure to the bottom of the mags, all 15 lock back. The few failures to chamber were most likely cause by too much upward pressure for those particular mags.

Call Ed Brown and ask them how much higher than "spec" their mag release is designed. Then you have a starting point to go to a higher one. I know that the EB extended I just put in the build I'm working on holds the ETM mags a lot higher than they were in my custom Sig.

I'll also mention that the Tripp Cobra II mags sit a little lower than the ETMs with the same mag catch.

Alternately, you could just buy the EGW .020" high unit and try it. If you get some feed failures, file a little off until you don't.

I appreciate the info zzt, but something still is missing. If it does this with the factory mag release also then there is another issue. At this point I'm almost disgusted with the gun for the price tag, I expected far more. I bought a para black ops in .45acp and it must have been the best damn gun that every came off their line. Accurate, not one failure to fire/feed/eject in over two thousand rounds of various bullets, and accurate as all get out.

I took it to my smith this afternoon, he took off some metal on the top of the slide release allowing it to move up higher, and also he saw some wear marks on the inside of the frame in the exact spot so he took a small file to the groove inside of the slide release and it seems to move more freely now. I will be shooting it again tomorrow morning, if it's acting up still I have the return label for fedex already printed out.

At this point I'm seriously debating sending it to SA and having the issue fixed and getting rid of it.

Thoughts on STI Trojan? I plan to only shoot Single Stack, I'm setup for .45 for reloading, mags, bullets, primers everything.. I can pick one up locally in 9mm or .45acp, 9mm I feel would be to much disadvantage in SS, my Smith keeps telling me to go with a .40 however I don't see the benefit.. From his stand point where he shoots limited .40, it makes sense for him to shoot major .40 in SS also.. But for me I plan to shoot nothing but single stack for a long time.

At this point I'm seriously debating sending it to SA and having the issue fixed and getting rid of it.

Seems foolish to me to go thru the effort to get a problem worked out and then sell the pistol.

Do you do this with used cars too? I might be looking for a good used car. ;)

I feel it's not my place to sell a gun that comes with a burden.. I'd like to sell a quality product that functions unlike the one I received. And yes before I sold my truck I replaced the entire front end since the bearings were wore slap out and it needed ball joint's all around, I guess I kind of believe in giving the next person in line the best shot at it. I'm not really fond of the way the gun feels, and If i purchase another gun for competition I don't have any use for another single stack with fiber optic sights laying around, I've got a loaded and a para 1911 single stack as well.

I can't believe your busting my saq for trying to do a good thing haha :surprise:

jtrump, it looks like you have already solved your problem. When you apply pressure to the bottom of the mags, all 15 lock back. The few failures to chamber were most likely cause by too much upward pressure for those particular mags.

Call Ed Brown and ask them how much higher than "spec" their mag release is designed. Then you have a starting point to go to a higher one. I know that the EB extended I just put in the build I'm working on holds the ETM mags a lot higher than they were in my custom Sig.

I'll also mention that the Tripp Cobra II mags sit a little lower than the ETMs with the same mag catch.

Alternately, you could just buy the EGW .020" high unit and try it. If you get some feed failures, file a little off until you don't.

I found the EGW .020 Unit, how hard is it to tap that to add an extended mag button to it?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I can lock the slide to the rear manually with any magazine, yet the gun won't do it by itself when it runs dry. Most silly annoying little problem I've ever seen.

Edited by jtrump

Update 10amest.

Hit the range early and tried about 15 different mags, all previously mentioned. Every single one of them would Lock to the rear if when the last bullet was fired, I help upward pressure on the bottom of the magazine.

What gives...

I just installed a new slide stop in my Trojan and had to trouble shoot this. The detent slot cut in the end of the slide stop was keeping the stop from activating reliably. I flattened the edge of the slot off and problem solved.

FWIW: the stop that came stock with my Trojan had no slot, neither did my Para.

The extra upward pressure on the mag gives more force and helps the reluctant stop go up. But if the mag body is too high, it can cause other problems like feed issues.

Since the gun is new, it may very well be short cycling a bit. My new Trojan and even my new SIG 226 would not lock back a magazine firing until after a few hundred rounds.

Edited by bountyhunter

Well the gun is fixed, I got a text at 6:40am this morning from my smith saying "I GOT IT" haha.. Of course I was excited and asked him to spill the beans on what he did to make it run, he replied "I spread the mag catch" I'm guessing he spread the metal out somehow and now it functions 100%....

Edited by jtrump

I was looking forward to going to buy that sti trojan today to, what a shame ;('

I guess the Trophy Match isn't a bad gun, and just about every part of it is upgraded with the best parts possible. I'm sure it will out shoot me for a good while.

Edited by jtrump

Dude, put the original crap back in that gun and send it to Springfield. I had to send in a pistol once and it was a 10 day turn-around, with shipping paid by them both ways. I know it sucks to get a new broke gun, but they will make it right and quickly too. Then you won't be wasting ammo and time jacking with it and hoping. JMO, but the correct one.

But take into consideration I want to use ed Browns oversized magazine release. I send the gun in with the stock release, wait on the turn around time they fix it, I get it back and it still does not work with the magazine release I want to use?

Then I'm forced to try and pull off a 4/40 drill/tap to add a button to make it somewhat useable as I don't have gorilla hands, and this is a slightly harder task its very easy to break these taps.

I bought a trojan anyway, funny the cheaper gun actually runs right from the factory.

Well, it's going to be tough, depending on the mag. If your experiences are like mine with a forged STI receiver, you will have two choices. Whack the mag in with a lot of force, or push the mag release, insert the mag, then release. If you go with the force route, it will get easier and easier. Don't let this fool you. You are in fact wearing the EB catch, but you are also wearing the mags and they may not function as well in pistols they used to.

After a few to a dozen forced mag insertions you will see where the mags hit the release, because the bluing will be worn off. If SS, the spots will be shiny. You can relieve those wear points, or continue the slam approach until everything works normally, and then dedicate those mags to that gun.

Had the same exact issue with my SA Trophy Match, filed a little metal off maybe .0015'ish? they cleared it fine. I hope it's not that bad with the Trojan, Also you said forged frame, From my recollection I remember there being a discussion and now the Trojans are cast frames? not sure if it's going to matter.

My smith has been putting me off lately his mom feel and isnt doing real well, I completely understand. I've got a lot of nice parts to go in there just sitting on the bench and I want to shoot so bad :)

Whelp, Got the EGW .20 raised mag release in today. It holds the magazines in higher for sure. No failures to feed or fire, the slide still won't lock to the rear using tripp,chip,wilson,factors mags all of which are new.

Back to S/A it goes....

has anyone had to deal with sending a gun back to the factory? Am I going to have to strip all of the fire control parts off it and basically put it back to the same fashion it came from the factory as?

Hmm, stock slide stop vs the wilson bullet proof one I'm guessing you mean? I could do that. I already cleaned it and put it mostly back to stock except for the firing control group of parts to be shipped back ;(

I got my trojan setup today and it's beautiful feeling, If it runs like it feels I have a feeling it will be the gun I end up shooting.

Hey man,

I was waiting to post my experience with SA customer service until my guns get back on Wednesday but since you are in a situation I thought I'd go ahead and tell you now.

First off, I love my trophy match and if you were in Kalifornia (now we can't buy off list guns except private party in state) I'd buy it from you. That said:

(I had light strikes with both my TRP and my Trophy Match, can't say whether that will still be happening when they get back, I fixed it in my TM by installing an extended firing pin from Limcat, but that wasn't why I sent them back)

the short version, and what will matter to you regarding their service. I sent both of my guns in to them, on their dime. I asked them to tell me what it would take to fix some minor pitting on the breach faces due to bad primers, check the accuracy of the TRP and mentioned the light firing pin strikes. 10 days after they received them (maybe 9 days) they called me and said that on the TRP they had ended up replacing the sights and the barrel and adjusting the sights. the fact that they replaced the barrel told me that I must have been right about the accuracy and they take it seriously. they were ready to ship back at that point but I wanted to see about the custom shop doing trigger jobs on them. (as you know the factory trigger sucks, 5.5-5.75lbs on my two). I got a call a few days later from the custom shop, 100 ea for the trigger jobs, they could go to 4lbs without changing parts. But it was going to be 4-6 weeks. I wasn't too happy about that, but got a call a day or two later (this past Friday) from the lady that handles their scheduling and she said that she already had the guys take care of it and they would ship out Monday and be here Wednesday.

I can't speak for the trigger jobs yet, I can say that their service is fast, seems thorough, and was without hassle. I really love my Trophy Match and almost had them replace the TRP slide with a TM slide (I'll just have the TRP flat topped and serrated later) and say before you beat your head against the wall any more send it back and let them sort it.

Red

Yep it's on it's way back now, I honestly don't know if I will shoot it when I get it back though.. I may keep it as a spare gun in case my STI Trojan breaks in a match or something.

The problem with the light strikes is due to the dumb titanium firing pin they put in in with a 23lb mainspring, hence the god awful trigger. Replace it with a steel or stainless extended version and then you can use a 17lb MS without any issues.

as far as the trigger goes, you basically paid 100 bucks for them to maybe polish a few parts "10 mins" and bend the sear spring ;(...

Egw makes a very nice already cut sear that can go on your stock disconnector that you do a little polishing to, add that to egw Light hammer "you have to shorten the hammer strut because of the new pin location" adjust sear spring and bam 2.5lb trigger.. Bend it if you want as you like to adjust the trigger pull weight.

after sighting in my Sti I really fell in love with it, even when it was bone stock after changing out the firing control group to a 2.5lb pull, and doing some slicking up of other things it just feels better in my hands. Only complaint are the finish is not anywhere as good as the TM, and the front stippling is not as nice as the TM.

Thanks for all the input from everyone, what a headache.