Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight install

brian45acp

So I thought I would be smart and send off my Sp-01 slide to CGW and not try to mess with it. I got it back and rear sight wasnt center which sucked because if I can see that with my eyes its way off. Simple fix to drift it over turned out to be a nightmare. They must have welded that screw and sight on with red loctite so the damn allen busted off on the first attempt to back the set screw out. I had to send it back and they were super nice and willing to make it right.

All of this has me wanting to just install my own sights next time. I have fit dovetail sights and learned the hard way after a few rear sights on my glocks how to correctly work a file. What I know nothing about is the fornt sight roll pin and drilling issues. I have seen advice to install the front sight and then mark both sides with the punch and remove the sight again making a cross cut groove with a triangular file then running the drill bit from the left side as to make it cut correctly through the hole. What I am most worried about is how all you guys arent messing up the hole in the slide. I have a dremel and hand drill but no drill press. How is it possible to not hit the sidewalls of the hole in the slide with the drill bit? Cutting a notch into something sometimes is harder then just making a hole since the bit will want to take the least resistant path which would be under the sight causing the bit to possibly hit the bottom side of the hole in the slide as its pushed downward.

I have a crappy vise with padded jaw protectors but I have yet to mount it to my bench. I say this because I read the rear sight can be very hard to remove but mounting isnt an issue if need be.

I see all the items I need for punch, drill bit, roll pin, etc. What I dont have is what is needed to make the cross sectional cut on the underside of the front sight. What ever you guys are using if you could link me to the correct hand file on mcmastercarr that would be helpful. I looked for a 2mm or 1/16 round file but there isnt one. I saw some say use a triangular file edge but I am not sure which one to get.

So what advice do you guys have in doing all of this? So far I read the front sight might need the base sanded down a bit to fit the dovetail and the same for the rear. Since the sights I am installing are the night sights removed from my SP-01 onto my P-01 I think all of this should be quite easy. The notch is already in the front sight. Assuming it wasnt and I wanted to install CZC sights I want to learn how to do this. I hate sending work out for simple routine tasks like changing sights.

Honestly I am about ready to just send the other slide I have to CGW and hope this was just a fluke. My other concern is the slide getting lost in the mail though.

Thanks guys

Use Dawson precision front sights and you don't have to cut the underside of the sight. They are drilled already. If they are too tight for the dovetail, sand the bottom of the sight base to fit.

Exactly, I installed a Dawson front sight 10 days ago on my Shadow slide, no sanding was necessary. But the pre-drilled sights are the way to go.

As for rear sights.....

No job is difficult if you have the proper tools, so get:

CZC rear sight tool $94

CZC too block, might not be called that, but it's a round white thing that slides, hammer etc fit into for hammering pins in and out.

I went with the Dawson front sight also. It is pre drilled, and only needed slight sanding with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

The pin went back easily.

Go slow with the sanding, and check often. It's hard to put that metal back on!

I like Dawson the best for sights as well. The CGW set is actually Dawson for the front so that will work. I guess I wont worry about it then because the night sight set was already on the SP-01 and should easily transfer over to the P-01.

For that sight pusher will it remove stock sights that are on really tight? I know on my Shield that was an issue and the instructions actually said dont use the tool for removing stock sights or the slide could get tweaked.

I wonder why nobody buys these type of pushers http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163458/b-and-j-machine-p500-standard-universal-front-and-rear-sight-tool?cm_vc=subv1658993

With all the money I spent on pushers for each model handgun I have I wonder how well a universal would work.

Edited by brian45acp

You know after looking at all these pushers there is one major thing being missed. Sights which need to be filed on for a proper fit wont work with a pusher. I mean you can finish them off but after having watched the Dawson videos how he fits dovetail sights I dont see any of those guys ever using a pusher.

With a punch and vise method I can feel for the proper fit in the dovetail so that I know I am not forcing it in. Heinie sights on my glocks you can crush fit them in but Dawson rear sights had to be fit.

I think I am just going to go ahead with the vice and punch method and since my night sights already have the notch I shouldnt have an issue. For those of you guys who ever actually drilled a sight I would love to hear how that went. I imagine in those situations best to send the slide off to be done safely.

Dang sights make my brains hurt every time I get a new gun, lol.

Follow up:

Installed my sights no issues. Padded jaws in a crappy vice and steel punched the stock rear sight out with minimal effort. Night sight went right in no issues. Front sight needed to be sanded on bottom a bit. The notch didnt quite clear the hole perfectly so the drill bit was necessary. It freaked me out but I realized there really isnt any way for it to butcher up the hole. It can only go in one way and keep going. I just went slow and let it cut then backed off then kept doing that little by little until it cleared. Pin went right back in perfectly and no issues there. I saw pics on here of someone who must have just forced the pin back in and it displaced the bushing so I knew it was important to drill that hole if resistance was felt driving the pin back in. Resistance being pin came to a dead stop and should be forced any further since material from the sight needs to be removed.

Well any way with a little common sense and light skills having fit other sights it was no big deal. I centered the rear perfectly and am about 3 thousands either side from dead center.