Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping Guns

Not sure where to post this but I was wondering how you go about shipping a gun to the new owner if you sell it online or through the classifieds on here.

I know it has to go to an FFL but does it need to be shipped from a local FFL to the purchasers FFL or will the purchasers FFL take a gun from an individual?

Has anybody used the shipmygun.com website that is a part of Buds guns shop?

I played around with an imaginary shipping a $1500.00 handgun from Texas to NY State and with UPS or FedEx next day air with insurance it was about $100 to $110. The same thing thru shipmygun.com was about $59.00 but it doesn't look like you need to be an FFL to ship to an FFL.

Anybody have any experience with this that they are willing to share?

All handguns need overnight delivery. No markings on box, by law. If you're shipping back to manufacturer for service, you can ship directly to them. Long guns can go ground (or air if you're in a hurry), again in an unmarked box. If you are selling gun, must ship to FFL and buyer must go to FFL and fill out forms as usual for any gun purchase. You should be aware of gun laws of state you are shipping to. i.e. Don't ship an AR to New York, FFL will not release it and may or may not have to report it besides putting it in his book. If shipping handgun to California, I would call the FFL you wish to send it to and ask him if the gun is California legal, and if it must be shipped from FFL. Probably just don't sell to California, New York, Connecticut, Maryland, DC, Hawaii. Always check latest regulations on ATF website. And California DOJ website if you must. Never heard of shipmygun.

Talk to the receiving FFL, ask if he will accept from individuals. Some will, some won't so ask first. If they will accept from individuals, they will give you instructions on what to do - usually they ask you to include a legible copy of your state issued drivers license along with a receipt/bill of sale. Are you shipping a pistol or rifle/shotgun? The laws of carrier method are different from each. Your example was a pistol so that is what I'll assume. You must use a commercial carrier such as UPS or FedEx. You must go to one of their service centers that accepts firearms - call them first to ensure you are going to the right location! The small shops you see in the malls and in other stores will not accept them. You must ship it overnight so it has to be there the next day. They will give you exact packing instructions but you can't indicate a firearm is in the package but you must declare it at the counter when you go to ship it.

Never used that website but I've dealt with Buds many times and they are top notch.

Very good information I had a question about the overnight shipping I've received more then 500 handguns in the 10 years, some from Bud's and a hundred from individuals and I don't think one of them was shipped over night. I understand that some whole sellers like to ship overnight because it gives commercial carriers less opportunity to [lose] the firearm

Edited by kellymc

As an individual, you can't "receive" a firearm - well, not legally. If it is going from FFL to FFL, no overnighting is required, that is only for individuals to FFL. Seems lame to me but that's what rules say.

Ok thanks The individual to FFL was what I was interested in. It does seem lame. Been shipping just BOXES not guns lately my official service center is a 200 miles drive Dalhart to Amarillo

Edited by kellymc

I dont see anything in ups documentation requiring overnight. I just shipped a gun Monday via fedex to a factory, no overnight was needed. Seems like a long time ago some carriers were requiring an overnight due to their own internal theft problems.

I dont see anything in ups documentation requiring overnight. I just shipped a gun Monday via fedex to a factory, no overnight was needed. Seems like a long time ago some carriers were requiring an overnight due to their own internal theft problems.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and ( B) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).

• FedEx Express: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as hazardous goods via Ground in compliance with "Limited Quantity".

FedEx Ground will not accept for transport handguns, assembled or disassembled.

Federal law for handguns.

If you're having to call an FFL you're doing too much work. Buyer should arrange it. Just go to the ATF website . It's written in plain English. Fedex and UPS will pick up if you have an account.

If you don't verify if they receive from individuals and they don't, you'll be getting a gun shipped back to you and you have to start all over again. It's also to verify the laws of that state with the firearm that will be shipped. The onus is on you to verify that, ask me how I know :)

The ATF website does show dealers and you can look up an FFL but they don't specify which dealers accept firearms from individuals and which ones don't.

There is no federal law that says handguns have to go overnight, just that you have to inform the carrier (then their rules come into play)

Talk to your LGS as a FFL can ship a pistol via usps priority mail flat rate box. Granted they will generally charge you a fee to do so but paying them $20 plus the shipping cost of $50 or less (depending on insurance) it will still save you money.

There is no federal law that says handguns have to go overnight, just that you have to inform the carrier (then their rules come into play)

Talk to your LGS as a FFL can ship a pistol via usps priority mail flat rate box. Granted they will generally charge you a fee to do so but paying them $20 plus the shipping cost of $50 or less (depending on insurance) it will still save you money.

True, the federal law doesn't say it but it says you must use a commercial carrier and the commercial carriers say you must send it overnight if an individual sends it to a FFL, so by proxy, it's practically the same thing.

Yes, the FFL can send firearms to another FFL through many more means but that is not what this thread is about...it was mostly about an individual sending to an FFL and the above website used for shipping. Even that website the OP was referring to follows the regulations and ships all handguns OVERNIGHT.

That is what this thread is about ... He asked how to ship it and I'm suggesting he ship it through an FFL since it will be the easiest way and most likely the cheapest since he is referring to shipping a pistol.

I think there are ways to ship a gun to somewhere or to some one who doesn't have an FFL.

I believe you can ship a gun to yourself if you are moving to a different house. If I move to a different state.

I also have heard about shipping a gun to a gunsmith to be worked on. I don't think they need an FFL.

These are just things I have read, but am not certain on.

Randy

I think there are ways to ship a gun to somewhere or to some one who doesn't have an FFL.

I also have heard about shipping a gun to a gunsmith to be worked on. I don't think they need an FFL.

Randy

I'm pretty sure Federal law requires a Gunsmith to hold a FFL if working on firearms for monetary gain other than their own personal firearms.

The gunsmith may have to hold an FFL, but he can ship it back to me and not go through an FFL to get it back to me.

I guess that is what I was talking about.

I would not have to go through an FFL to ship a gun to a gunsmith, and he could ship it back to me without going through my local FFL holder.

Not sure if this is valid in all states.

Randy

As long as you ship direct to FFL...I would not worry about disclosing to fed ex or UPS. Their policies are not laws....They get too ridiculous in my opinion.

Some FFL's get fussy about end user shipping to them. Some prefer FFL to FFL...my local guy said theirs no requirement for FFL to FFL

ATF rules say you can send a handgun to yourself, in care of another person, only by a common carrier and NOT USPS since it is illegal to ship handguns by USPS, as long as that other person does not open the package. Only you can open the package. However, according to the UPS, that provision is moot since they will not accept any gun for shipment that does not meet their requirements (licensee, FFL, dealer, manufacturer, etc). What frustrates me even more, is that the ATF rules do NOT say how the heck you get that gun back from the "hunting" or "competition" location when you have shipped it in care of the alternate location. In other words, nothing is said that you can ship it handgun back to yourself at your own address, unless I am too dumb to understand it. As far as I can tell, there is no way to ship a handgun to myself. Can someone enlighten me?

I believe you can ship a gun to yourself if you are moving to a different house. If I move to a different state.

Randy

NOT USPS since it is illegal to ship handguns by USPS

That is not true. Handguns can be shipped through the Post Office, but they must be shipped by a FFL. And they can go Priority mail. The local ffl here, puts them in a flat rate priority box, which cost $12.65. So your $1500 gun, shipped Priority mail w/ insurance, would cost $33.15, plus whatever the ffl charges for a transfer.