Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This weekend I rediscovered the important aspect of fast target acquisitions, in moving the eyes to the next target ahead of the gun. Not only should the eyes LEAVE the last target first, as soon as the shot is called "good," but they should find the next target before the gun gets there. As basic, logical and fundamental as this is, I still often find myself failing to do this, and suffer the consequences of both a slow transition and an inaccurate landing of the gun on the new target. EVERYTHING slows down when you move your gun WITH your eyes (basically eyes staying on the sights while transitioning). The visual acquisition is much slower, as the eyes are slowed down by the slower moving gun. And finding the target is harder and therefore slower since the sights/gun and hands are in the line of sight. And the actual movement of the hands and gun is slower because it is less deliberate and indecisive since the next target has not yet been seen/found. And finally it takes longer to get the gun aligned on the target since not having the eyes already on the target, loses the "preview" and hand-eye coordination - resulting in usually either stopping the gun short of the aim point, or swinging past the target too far and having to adjust back to the target/aim point.

I think this is probably one of the most common time wasters in transitions, and the wider the transition, the more time wasted. And it is easy to fix, by doing dry fire drills with a pen/pencil, if not a gun, with 1 inch spots on walls about 8 feet away, with a 45% or more transition angle between the dots. It is easy to create the skill and "habit" of moving the eyes first and by so doing, learn the FEEL of this coordinated mechanic. It can become second nature fast.

Just be sure to FINISH the last shot on the prior target before moving the eyes to the next one!

exactly right ... we saw that plenty of times yesterday. It's amazing how easy it is to shot the next target as soon as it is visible when you transition your eyes first since the gun stops exactly where you need it to, completely subconsciously ....

exactly right ... we saw that plenty of times yesterday. It's amazing how easy it is to shot the next target as soon as it is visible when you transition your eyes first since the gun stops exactly where you need it to, completely subconsciously ....

Yeah man! Doing otherwise is literally operating with "tunnel vision" and seriously impedes fast and accurate transitions! Had a great time practicing with you Ken! Will see you around Nationals if not sooner.

Intent, Eyes, Body, Gun, Acquire Sights and press on.

I like that leeb10!

Especially the INTENT part. I have found myself actually thinking and acting with intent guiding my performance since listening to Enos' book for the last two months.

Clarification: Train intent to be thought-free, after the buzzer.

This is really an intense point Brian. I have been thinking about your clarification and the prior post for days now, trying to figure out what it means, in terms of my own experience.

One thing I can say, is that I have recently embraced, adopted, executed on and even trained another shooter "with," the idea of having at all times while shooting a stage, a HUNGER and eagerness to shoot the next shot at the soonest/earliest possible time. This becomes so primary in my stage performance that it essentially drives everything that happens. All the mechanics and techniques and skills are "lead" by this prime "feeling" and "desire" which I think is what you are calling INTENT. It is so pervasive and constant and automatic when I am shooting a stage, that it HAS to be subconscious - because so much is happening so fast, DIRECTED BY this "intent," it could not possibly be conscious thought.

I am dancing around this crucial point of yours, and have been for some time, and think it is becoming clear to me now. Everything we do, ALL actions, while properly shooting a stage, should be to this end, to accurately shoot the next shot at the soonest and earliest possible time, one after another. And THAT, is my entire intent. (e.g., instead of any thoughts such as "go faster" or "try harder" etc.). All actions flow automatically guided by this intent.

i think this needs to be ones primary focus since it leads to working only on techniques that enable you to shoot targets quicker. its like focusing on lowering your HF vice more points or faster times ....

having since thought about and practiced Brians part2 drill and running el prez as per Travis Tomasie's vid with my only goal to be moving my eyes/head ahead of the gun I'm pleased to now see some improvement.

I'm still running my .20 or under splits on the prez but my transitions are coming way down from high thirties and the odd 40 down to high 20's and low 30s. that's pretty massive. 30% faster transitions on a stand and shoot drill is pretty good when there is 4 of them per rep. :) I also set the targets a little wider than most seem to set the prez too. I think this actually helped in the beginning as with the targets so close it was harder to get the eyes moving ahead of the gun over such a short transition. I may now space them back closer together and see if I can get down to splits = transitions or close to it.

I also had another revelation. After shooting irons for a while and struggling due to my somewhat unique vision problems I switched to an open gun. Even in that more competitive arena my score improved straight away. One thing that I felt was holding my back a bit though was shooting one eye closed. I'd tried to train myself to shoot both eyes open and felt I was getting it sometimes but struggling others. Last week for the first time in ages I picked up a couple of my iron sight guns. Low and behold realised I was constantly shooting both eyes open! Seems like I have sorted that out but had not noticed on the open gun. :)

having since thought about and practiced Brians part2 drill and running el prez as per Travis Tomasie's vid with my only goal to be moving my eyes/head ahead of the gun I'm pleased to now see some improvement.

I'm still running my .20 or under splits on the prez but my transitions are coming way down from high thirties and the odd 40 down to high 20's and low 30s. that's pretty massive. 30% faster transitions on a stand and shoot drill is pretty good when there is 4 of them per rep. :) I also set the targets a little wider than most seem to set the prez too. I think this actually helped in the beginning as with the targets so close it was harder to get the eyes moving ahead of the gun over such a short transition. I may now space them back closer together and see if I can get down to splits = transitions or close to it.

I also had another revelation. After shooting irons for a while and struggling due to my somewhat unique vision problems I switched to an open gun. Even in that more competitive arena my score improved straight away. One thing that I felt was holding my back a bit though was shooting one eye closed. I'd tried to train myself to shoot both eyes open and felt I was getting it sometimes but struggling others. Last week for the first time in ages I picked up a couple of my iron sight guns. Low and behold realised I was constantly shooting both eyes open! Seems like I have sorted that out but had not noticed on the open gun. :)

That is all fantastic, BeerBaron!

Thanks for sharing your success story. You are an inspiration and proof that training works.

Clarification: Train intent to be thought-free, after the buzzer.

This is really an intense point Brian. I have been thinking about your clarification and the prior post for days now, trying to figure out what it means, in terms of my own experience.

One thing I can say, is that I have recently embraced, adopted, executed on and even trained another shooter "with," the idea of having at all times while shooting a stage, a HUNGER and eagerness to shoot the next shot at the soonest/earliest possible time. This becomes so primary in my stage performance that it essentially drives everything that happens. All the mechanics and techniques and skills are "lead" by this prime "feeling" and "desire" which I think is what you are calling INTENT. It is so pervasive and constant and automatic when I am shooting a stage, that it HAS to be subconscious - because so much is happening so fast, DIRECTED BY this "intent," it could not possibly be conscious thought.

I am dancing around this crucial point of yours, and have been for some time, and think it is becoming clear to me now. Everything we do, ALL actions, while properly shooting a stage, should be to this end, to accurately shoot the next shot at the soonest and earliest possible time, one after another. And THAT, is my entire intent. (e.g., instead of any thoughts such as "go faster" or "try harder" etc.). All actions flow automatically guided by this intent.

You are right on it with all that!

:cheers:

My target acquisitions are best when I visually pick up (take my time/visual patience) the target as I am transitioning the gun. Its easy to settle for a blurry target and fire when the sights are centered somewhere in the "brown". However, when I pick up the target early and clearly, the sights find their mark faster and I am able to fire when my sight picture is acceptable.

My target acquisitions are best when I visually pick up (take my time/visual patience) the target as I am transitioning the gun. Its easy to settle for a blurry target and fire when the sights are centered somewhere in the "brown". However, when I pick up the target early and clearly, the sights find their mark faster and I am able to fire when my sight picture is acceptable.

Nice distinction Sac Law Man. Travis Tomasie asked me recently if I was aiming at a small spot on the steel plate, or target, not just the whole thing, when helping me analyze a weakness in my game. If it could be measured, I think you would discover that the additional time it actually takes you/me to refine the aim as you described, takes less than 5/100ths of a second to accomplish, and makes all the difference in the world in accuracy.