Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Reloads Screwed a Match 4 days Ahead of Schedule...

BitchinCamaro

After a winter lull and missing the 3GN regional in Utah last week, I decided to start getting prepped for an upcoming steel match with some reloading.

I have gobs and gobs of brass to process, and when I finally finished hand-priming 1200 pieces of 9mm (I use a progressive, but still hand-prime sometimes), I had a nice fat blood-blister on my strong hand middle finger, and one of those deep but semi-invisible blisters on the bottom half of the tip of my trigger finger :rolleyes: :

d3d31213-37a3-4714-8be6-326720f9d171_zps

Here's my favorite finger drained the next day. The blister is about 75% of it's original size.

I knew it was causing a hotspot at around 700 rounds but I ignored it. Towards the end I was trying to prime some reamed/de-crimped WCC brass that required ham-fisting. From now on I'm going to toss crimped brass into a separate bin and process them all at the end of the season.

I'm not actualy worried about the match, as this is more of an ironic/cautionary tale.

I'll probably be healed by Saturday- more of an annoyance than anything but it's a psychological stumble when I'm trying to get all "Eye of the Tiger" with my mental game this week.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

You have a progressive press, and are hand priming? :surprise:

No kididng.

Worse yet, you have a calendar but you don't reload during the winter? Sounds like you're dressed like you want it.

I know some people who have to get up early the morning of a match to load enough rounds to shoot. I have a couple K in reserve at all times. I'm currently loading my match ammo for SS nats, so I'll have time to chrono it several times, shoot a couple local matches, chamber check every round for nats, etc..... and not have a bunch of last-minute stuff to distract me.

You have a progressive press, and are hand priming? :surprise:

Yeah, I know. It seems like flawed logic but I'm transitioning between presses and tumbling setups so I wanted to separate the crimped stuff before I ran it through the new press dedicated to 9mm. Plus, this is the first time I'm using CCI primers as I finally shot though my last case of Federal match.

As for the winter lapse in reloading, that's definitely my fault too.

Between testing and applying to top-ten grad schools and gut-renovating my house, I literally didn't have the extra time to do so. It's kind of depressing, but almost every hour of the past 8 months can be accounted for in terms of studying (mostly), sleeping, and sanding drywall.

I also have a thousand or two in reserve, but decided to tackle the 5 gallon buckets of brass before the weekend to get my head back into the shooting game for 2015.

Anyway, plenty of excuses, plenty of ammo- y'all can hold me accountable if I flub this weekend.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

Anyway, plenty of excuses, plenty of ammo- y'all can hold me accountable if I flub this weekend.

Sounds like you have the right attitude, so now that you've been gently mocked, good luck with the match this weekend, and with your apparently very busy life. :cheers:

We're supposed to get snow for our match on saturday morning.

ouch brother that has got to really suck. I am new to the reloading game, I will mostly be doing .223 rifle rounds as that is the most expensive for me when I compete. I have a DLXL650 on layaway. Looking forward to picking it up and making some awesome 62 grain loads.