Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr.bullet feeder vs GSI?

Smeeg

New to the forum and placed an order with Brian on Thursday night for a dillion xl650. I will be loading 9mm and .223 for now (currently loading on a single stage) After reading here quite a bit and watching YouTube I decided I want a bullet feeder. I searched this question already and most people seem to like the mr.bullet feeder and a lot of people are saying the GSI is finacy and requires a lot adjusting. But most of the threads on the subject were older and it didn't seem like a lot of people have had experience with the GSI unit. Right now I'm leaning towards the mr. Bullet feeder anybody think I should go with GSI instead?

Also I know I should have researched more before I placed my order with Brian but now that I've decided I want a bullet feeder. I don't need the powder check system or the bullet tray I ordered Brian said the order would probably ship on Monday. should I ask if he can cancel those items or should I sell them on eBay?

Thank you for your help I've already learned a lot from is forum.

Edited by Smeeg

Speaking only for my self. I have had the GSI and MBF and would take the MBF 3 to 1 over GSI. It just flat works and is simple to install.

Most likely its to late to remove those items from your order. The bullet tray may come in handy, but there would be no place for the powder check. I am sure both would sell on Ebay or GB

JMHO

:cheers:

Speaking only for my self. I have had the GSI and MBF and would take the MBF 3 to 1 over GSI. It just flat works and is simple to install.

Most likely its to late to remove those items from your order. The bullet tray may come in handy, but there would be no place for the powder check. I am sure both would sell on Ebay or GB

JMHO

:cheers:

I'm assuming you had problems with the GSI reliability?

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back in case it helps someone else...

I set up a GSI loader for 9mm last week. I purchased the GSI because I wanted to keep the PC station. I've only loaded a couple thousands rounds so far, but it has been a royal PITA! The hopper jams up constantly, the bullet holder will not always rotate into position, and worst - it is mangling my 125g TCG bullets. Basically putting a smiley face on the end of the bullet and displacing lead to the side. When this happens the bullet is not seated straight in the case either...

I have been waiting for a week for technical help, and I MAY get a call later today, or possibly in the morning. I heard they have great customer service, perhaps, but I have not experienced it yet. There seems to be one person who can answer technical questions and he is on the road frequently.

I know it is early in the process but as of now I am ruining around 8% of my bullets, and it was much faster to load them by hand. I'll report back after tech support contacts me, but as of this moment I sure wish I had purchased a Mr. Bullet Feeder...

Rimcrew - I had kind of the same experience with the GSI collator. I purchased one a couple months ago in 40SW. The collator just wouldnt feed the 165gr bullets. I tried everything and I didnt get alot of help from GSI. I left many messages (phone and email) and never got a return call or email. I put it on fleabay and it sold in about 5 minutes. I puchased the mrbulletfeeder instead. If not for the issues with the collator, I would probably still have the GSI.

I like the GSI toolhead that feeds and seats in 1 station and still allows the powder check.

I would prefer the Mr bullet feeder style collator with the GSI toolhead, would give you the best of both worlds.

But now I have the mrbulletfeeder and I like it. took about 10 minutes to set up and I was loading ammo.

When GSI first started selling the tool head/bullet feeder they didn't have a collator to feed it so I have always built my own.

This is the first one I built.

feeder4.jpg

After the KISS came out, I built one of them out of 6" PVC, a lot less work, so I have built all of mine like then ever since.

feeder1.jpg

Only played with one GSI collator and was not very impressed myself.

• 1 month later...

Well after a long time long debate in my head over gsi vs mr bf for my 650 I came to the same conclusion as chevy71. I really like the way the gsi has its own toolhead and a rotary feed that allows feed and seat in one station and thus keeps your 650 a 5 station press. But the reports on the collator had me worried.

What I wanted was a mr bf collator with gsi toolhead which is possible but expensive. So like others here I did what I thought was the only smart choice. I bought a mr bf. :)

The kit looks nice. I'm going to get it set up tomorrow and see how she runs. :)

Yep the manual with the mr bf is excellent.

I really wanted to talk myself into the gsi purely to keep that extra station (which I do use for various things) but I keep hearing such great reports on the mr bf. From gsi users I hear some great reports, some lukewarm and some that have been frustrated with it.

At the end of the day the mr bf seems more reliable and in my case (I'm not in the us) it was also cheaper and on the shelf at a local retailer. So when I saw it sitting there I heard it whisper 'buy me' and I had no good argument not to! :)

I had my heart set on the GSI because I don't want to give up the powder check safety feature. "Rimcrew" did you ever get your mangled bullet problem solved? I will be loading 180 gr zero hollow point bullets in 40 S&w so if the collater is the only issue I still may be tempted. However, if there is a bullet seating problem that might tip the scales. Has anyone had the collater problem with 180 gr jhp bullets?

I had my heart set on the GSI because I don't want to give up the powder check safety feature. "Rimcrew" did you ever get your mangled bullet problem solved? I will be loading 180 gr zero hollow point bullets in 40 S&w so if the collater is the only issue I still may be tempted. However, if there is a bullet seating problem that might tip the scales. Has anyone had the collater problem with 180 gr jhp bullets?

Yes, I "fixed" the mangled bullet issue; however, it's not the greatest fix. The GSI seating die was causing the problem, as the bullet would hit it occasionally as it advanced into the seating position, so I backed it out and that fixed that issue. The bullet is no longer really seated in that station, it is merely placed atop the shell with very minimal insertion into the case. It is then seated and crimped in the final station. I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die, and this seems to work fine. I would prefer to seat it in the same station the bullet is placed in, but could not figure out a way to make that work consistently.

Overall, it is running pretty well now. Even the collator is much better.

I would like to try a Mr. Bullet Feeder, just to compare, but I like having the GSI vs. hand-feeding the bullets...

• 3 weeks later...

cbrussell-I have a 650 with the GSI that has loaded about 20K over the past 2 years. I have no problems with mangled bullets or seating issues using Xtremes (HP and RNFP) or Montana Golds. I also have an MBF on another press. Both work very well. The only issue with the GSI and 40 cal bullets is that I do have to occasionally hit the reverse switch to back up the hopper wheel if a bullet gets stuck in the hopper wheel. This takes about 3 seconds and is not a big deal. I know that GSI is working on improving the hopper wheel design, but the dimensions of a 40 bullets (not long and slender like a 147 9mm) make it a little more challenging. I have found that keeping only about 100 to 125 bullets in the hopper really minimizes this issue. Basically, every time you fill the primer tube, put about 4 to 5 handfuls of bullets in the hopper and it works pretty well. I traded my 650 for a 1050 recently and have the GSI sitting in a box on the bench. I was planning on taking it to a local match to sell sometime, but if you have any interest buying a used GSI in 40 send me a pm. I don't think you can wrong with either an MBF or GSI.

I've only experienced a MBF, but it's been absolutely awesome. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that the die seems to be very thin material (aluminum?) and you're suppose to hand-tighten it only. My mistake, but I broke it...that said, a quick email to Rick with a 5-minute phone call got me rolling again in about a week. I've talked to Rick on several occasions and he's always been prompt and helpful. Other than my issue with the die (again, my fault for not reading the directions...), I've had zero issues with the feeder itself and would highly recommend it.

The big thing (IMO) that the MBF has over the GSI, is rifle conversions. If you ever plan to use it for rifle, it would be the smart choice. Also, for those that want to keep the PC die, that's great, but in my experience, it's very easy to just look in the case for powder before you advance the shellplate up to drop the bullet.

Overall, it works great and I'm very satisfied with the product; you can really tell a lot of time and effort went into designing it and improving it over the years.

Since it's been so long since the OP, have you decided yet?

Edited by polizei1

No, I am still on the fence. I like the GSI for the sake of keeping the powder check die, but I like keeping my Redding bullet seating die which Mr. Bullet feeder would allow. To me the GSI seems more elegant but the Mr. Bulletfeeder seems to run flawlessly from what I read on the web. I have found a camera setup I could use to monitor the powder drop but that would only confirm there was powder in the case not the right amount. I was wondering if the GSI was a bit more stable since its bullet collator is mounted on a separate independent post but I have not seen any negative comments regarding the Mr. Bulletfeeder collator mounting. I just don't want to spend the money only to later have buyers remorse. If I was later to "automate" my RL1050, would either of the presses have a clear cut advantage?

Thanks

To me the GSI seems more elegant but the Mr. Bulletfeeder seems to run flawlessly from what I read on the web.

This is also what drew me to the GSI, plus keeping the powder check die. However, with the elegant nature comes many issues. This thing is a constant science project. I can't ever get through a full tube of primers without some kind of issue, and usually several. There are just so many potential failure points, and each one reminds me of that frequently.

The collator is crap. I keep one hand on the switch constantly, so I can reverse it when it jams. I have tried varying the number of bullets in the collator, but it doesn't help until it is almost empty - in which case I have to stop frequently and add bullets, thus defeating the whole purpose of the feeder. I called GSI for help, and made the recommended adjustments, but there was little to no improvement.

I get many failures of the bullet seating mechanism. It won't fully advance and when I raise the ram it jams on the bottom of the bullet carrier plate. I then have to advance it one location by hand. I also have many instances where a bullet will not drop into the bullet carrier. If I don't catch it, no bullet gets seated and I dump a shell full of scarce powder into the bullet bin. I have had to adjust my position so I can monitor this...

Ironically, I had my first squib EVER recently (I load approx 40k rds/year), and it was a direct result of the GSI. I was clearing the ever-present hiccup from the bullet feeder, and accidentally advanced the shell plate manually, bypassing the powder check. Sure, I caused it, but it was a direct result of trying to clear a feeder malf.

I would NEVER recommend this POS to anyone, EVER!!!! When it finally breaks down, I will crap-can it and get the MBF.

For the OP, have you been loading using the 650XL and how has it been going?

I got a 650XL at least 10 years ago and a few years ago I got a Mr. Bullet Feeder and have since sold it. I load maybe 1-3K of 9mm, then 1-3K of .223, then some .40, some .38 the switch to large primers and do 10mm, .45 and .308. For me, I really saw no benefit in the MBF. The caliber changes are too frequent for me to realize any benefit in time or production rate. While the MBF is great, I think it is best when you have one press set up to load one caliber and do no caliber changes on it. Might just be me, but I do not see it as the "required" accessory i thought it was when I bought it.

"MarkCO", I load on a RL1050. "Rimcrew" it certainly seems the GSI was not the right way to go for you. Are you loading on a 650 or 1050? What caliber and bullet weight/type are you loading? I sure don't want to add something which needs constant fiddling! While I regularly see posts such as yours regarding the GSI unit Inrarely see anything negative about the Mr. Bullet Feeder. In the final anylasis maybe it is that simple. Go with the machine that has by far the most proponents.

Thanks for your input.

I'm using the GSI on a 650, loading 124g coated bullets.

I REALLY wanted to love the GSI, but it looks like it's not to be.

I believe the MBF went by the name K.I.S.S in a prior offering. In this case, KISS really does apply, and makes for a much better product.

All I load on my 650 is 9mm. I have a couple other presses for everything else.

The big negative on the GSI is if a switch between say Montana Gold JHP and Blue Bullet 147 RN, I have to buy a bunch of extra parts. With the Mr. Bulletfeeder it is just a couple of adjustments.

One thing I did do is get my 650 running perfectly as I planned on running it before I added the Mr. Bulletfeeder. Then if I had issues it was limited to one thing. I do thank all of you here on the Enos board, you guys made getting the 650 up and running perfectly very easy.

The big negative on the GSI is if a switch between say Montana Gold JHP and Blue Bullet 147 RN, I have to buy a bunch of extra parts. With the Mr. Bulletfeeder it is just a couple of adjustments.

I use the same one for 115 JHP's and 147 RN bullets, never bought anything extra.

Edited by jmorris

"MarkCO", I load on a RL1050. "Rimcrew" it certainly seems the GSI was not the right way to go for you. Are you loading on a 650 or 1050? What caliber and bullet weight/type are you loading? I sure don't want to add something which needs constant fiddling! While I regularly see posts such as yours regarding the GSI unit Inrarely see anything negative about the Mr. Bullet Feeder. In the final anylasis maybe it is that simple. Go with the machine that has by far the most proponents.

Thanks for your input.

if you're loading on a 1050 it's a slightly different set of considerations. loosing a station on a 1050 is not an issue like it is on the 5 station 650. so that's in favour of the MBF. but just to confuse things in a 1050 scenario (as Jmorris pointed out) you are getting another 1050 toolhead which on it's own would be a $200 part. so that's a swing back in favour of the GSI.

If you're in the states maybe ask jmorris if he'll make and sell you one of his collators and then buy the GSI toolhead assembly.... :)

Otherwise if you're locked into running them out of the box to me the MBF seems like the most 'viable' plug and play option.

I use the same one for 115 JHP's and 147 RN bullets, never bought anything extra.

I just went by what GSI has on their website.