Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stripped Screw. Help!

Carpasteis

it is rare that a hex socket is completely rounded out.

I would get a tighter fit hex driver in there. apply heat again. let the heat soak in.

loc-tite is pretty soft when hot. the screw should come out once the screw is hot.

when that stuff cools it goes back to lock...

victor.

Take the grip off of the frame. Use a flame of some sort to heat the screws inside the frame tunnel(forget the heat gun). Try a Torx bit, you may have to tap the Torx bit into the stripped hole. Get the screw good and hot until you smell the Loctite cooking. Should twist out.

Take the grip off of the frame. Use a flame of some sort to heat the screws inside the frame tunnel(forget the heat gun). Try a Torx bit, you may have to tap the Torx bit into the stripped hole. Get the screw good and hot until you smell the Loctite cooking. Should twist out.

!! didn't even notice the grip.

I read that around 400 degrees will be the temp you want to break down the loc-tite.

this is about what a soldering does, most plastics will melt or burn at that point.

luck.

You can use what's called an easy out extractor if you don't want to use heat. Simply drill into the screw and use the extractor. You can get them at any hardware or tool store. The hole in the screw now may even be deep enough to get a bite by the extractor and come out. Hers' an example http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=easy+out+tool&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31939595130&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16512359319832073986&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4we1q5fs18_b

You can tig weld a nut to the top of the screw through the hole in the nut. The heat will kill the loctite, then you can use a wrench to get the screw out.

Of the things mentioned above, I would hammer the hex back flat, make sure the allen wrench fits good, heat the screw up good and use the allen wrench. If that fails, dremel a groove for a blade screwdriver. The easy outs don't work sometimes.

Also rather than turning the fastener with a constant or gradually increasing twisting force, use a quick or sudden twist. Kind of like the kind of force from an "impact" driver or wrench. That same technique will help prevent rounding of the slot while removing phillips drive screws...

I agree with applying heat. Use a lot of heat on the screw!

Edited by kamikaze1a

For hex head screws as shown, you can use Torx drive bits as an impromptu easy-out for stuck bits. As long as you have a quality hardened 1/4" drive Torx bit, you can tap it into the offending screw to seat the splines and basically broach your own Torx head. A quick twist with the driver of your choice will usually break it loose. I keep a supply of T10 and T15 sized bits in the shop for just such an occasion; I can get them cheaper than some screw extractors and they have a number of other uses.

A little more heat applied immediately beforehand wouldn't be a bad idea.