Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Higher Grip = Cut Right Thumb?

wmetzler01

Good news is my dry fire practice has produced a higher grip on my STI Edge (it's a CRP model I bought new from Dawson in 2012).

The cut occurs on my right hand at the base of my thumb where it merges with the web of my hand. The rear edge of the left thumb safety that is close to the beaver tail is chewing into this portion of my thumb (I'm a right handed shooter).

After consulting with dozens of engineers and spending countless dollars in research (sarcasm); I've deployed the highly technical solution of placing a band-aide over the cut.

That said, looking to see if any of you have experienced this issue; if so, what solution did you deploy (an exotic option like SV Infinity grip, different thumb safety, simple solution like sanding down the edge)?

Thanks for reading!

Will

I'd suggest filing down the offending area of the thumb safety, then polish it so no rough edges. It really isn't neurosurgery. :roflol:

^^ What he said. Get your dremel tool out. Use a sanding stone or sanding drum and take a little off the back edge. Polish it out and be done.

I get a high grip on my guns as well. I spend a quite a bit of time massaging my safeties undercutting the weak hand side so it does not hit my knuckle and engage and usually re radius the back of the thumb pad area where it attaches to the plate. For the strong had side I have to ease over the corner by the pin. I used to really go after that area thinning it back, and broke off a couple of Swensons with the thumb shield. Easing that edge over usually will do the trick. I try to get rid of the square edges everywhere.