Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

product idea for Dillon

I wonder if Dillon has ever thought about making a dedicated case prep press. They could use a 650 frame, have it size, trim, deswage or pocket uniform, chamfer and deburr. You could set a case feeder on it and single pass do mass quantities of rifle brass. I know I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

I was thinking more of a dedicated case prep press with a motorized head(think rt 1500 powering a geared toolhead) and deswager/pocket uniformer. I don't want a changeover to run cases, just a dedicated one stop case prep shop.

It is the exact opposite of "If you build it they will come". Bring the market and they will build.

They didn't come out with the 1500 until folks started having problems with the 1200, converting .223 to 300.

That is pretty impressive to me given the small market.

I think the market is there. I know most 3 gunners rarely practice rifle cause they don't wanna have to pick up all the brass and do the case prep work. .223 is the most popular rifle, and probably 3rd overall cartridge after 22lr, and 9mm

You can buy prepped cases for a reasonable price and they don't need as much prep work after the first go round. If initially trimmed a few thousandths short you can usually load three times before needing trimming again, you only have to remove the crimp once. So, it's then just clean and load. If you set your sizing die up so you don't set the shoulder back over a couple of thousandths shorter than your chamber the cases will last longer also.

You can buy prepped cases for a reasonable price and they don't need as much prep work after the first go round. If initially trimmed a few thousandths short you can usually load three times before needing trimming again, you only have to remove the crimp once. So, it's then just clean and load. If you set your sizing die up so you don't set the shoulder back over a couple of thousandths shorter than your chamber the cases will last longer also.

i mark my loaded rounds so i can distinguish my casings from the rest so its easier to sort out my brass. Clean and load just like how Steve RA said.

Billdozer, I shoot quite a bit of 3 gun and I had the same thought. I posted this in another thread because the one thing I need to figure out better is how to deal with the trimmer taking up so much space and a vacuum attachment. It's already been suggested that a GSI 650 .300 BLK toolhead might work for the vacuum attachment. You can see where I used duct tape on the trimmer...that worked marginal.

The reason I posted this question is that I set up a 650 toolhead to process .223 range brass in one pass. No, not loading on the same toolhead. It's currently set up like this:

IMG_20150213_151420840.jpg

1. F/L Neck sizer/decapper – this centers the decapper better than some universal decappers and prevents some problems. Also starts the sizing process so it’s not all done in the next dies
  2. Small body sizer and GS Custom Swagger – If we’re sizing range brass I think it is important to full body size since we don't know how many times it's been shot. Good for some of my brass too.
  3. Trimmer - I probably need to turn the trim die 90 degrees and I might be able to put the lock ring on the underside.
  4. Sinclair expander with .224 insert (not “oversized” insert) – This serves two functions, 1) it makes the inside diameter of the necks the same size, regardless of the brass so neck tension is hopefully consistent 2) if there is any burr on the inside of the neck from the trimmer, hopefully it will knock it off.

So far, I've processed about 2000 pieces of brass with this set up. I can process about 1000 pieces in 90 minutes.

I clean the brass first, then anneal in a Giraud annealer, then lube and throw them in the Dillon casefeeder and run them through this set up. I then clean the lube off in a stainless steel pin tumbler which also cleans the primer pockets and helps with any burrs from trimming.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought more about a case prep machine form Dillon. Would need a case feeder, deprime station, swadger,

size and trim station, and a case mouth resizer. Would be basically a 4/station 1050 type press so brass could be swadged

correctly.

I would be interested if the price was around the price of a 650.

Edited by The Donald

What would be nice is a Primer Seater Assembly (21380/21381) that would swage the brass on the upstroke like you do when you prime your brass. It's part #4 on page 52 of the 650 User Manual. Top photo. Primer Punch Assembly.

This part would be just a little longer and wider to swage out the primer pocket.

It should be something very easy to design and build.

Mel

Billdozer, I shoot quite a bit of 3 gun and I had the same thought. I posted this in another thread because the one thing I need to figure out better is how to deal with the trimmer taking up so much space and a vacuum attachment. It's already been suggested that a GSI 650 .300 BLK toolhead might work for the vacuum attachment. You can see where I used duct tape on the trimmer...that worked marginal.

The reason I posted this question is that I set up a 650 toolhead to process .223 range brass in one pass. No, not loading on the same toolhead. It's currently set up like this:

IMG_20150213_151420840.jpg

• F/L Neck sizer/decapper – this centers the decapper better than some universal decappers and prevents some problems. Also starts the sizing process so it’s not all done in the next dies
  • Small body sizer and GS Custom Swagger – If we’re sizing range brass I think it is important to full body size since we don't know how many times it's been shot. Good for some of my brass too.
  • Trimmer - I probably need to turn the trim die 90 degrees and I might be able to put the lock ring on the underside.
  • Sinclair expander with .224 insert (not “oversized” insert) – This serves two functions, 1) it makes the inside diameter of the necks the same size, regardless of the brass so neck tension is hopefully consistent 2) if there is any burr on the inside of the neck from the trimmer, hopefully it will knock it off.
So far, I've processed about 2000 pieces of brass with this set up. I can process about 1000 pieces in 90 minutes.

I clean the brass first, then anneal in a Giraud annealer, then lube and throw them in the Dillon casefeeder and run them through this set up. I then clean the lube off in a stainless steel pin tumbler which also cleans the primer pockets and helps with any burrs from trimming.

Why do you need to anneal them?

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see a quick change primer seater for the 650, for switching from small to large primers. I guess if I get super lazy, I will just buy another 650 for large primers, but there are so many other toys out there!