Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.400 vs .401 coated bullets

earthshine402

I'm curious if anyone has any experiences with the differences between these - I'm thinking of mostly BBI, Bayou, and Ibejiheads. I know BBI primarily offers .400 sized, Bayou defaults to .401, and Ibeji gives you the option. Does accuracy suffer at .400? more leading? more powder required for the same PF?

honestly doesn't really matter, I would be very surprised if you saw a difference in leading/accuracy between either. I powdercoat my own and size to .401" because that was the only size die I could get at the time form Lee and the bullets will feed in my guns, but YMMV, some need .400" to chamber,

Edited by nitrohuck

I find no difference in accuracy in either size.

No barrel debris from either size

and both sizes shoot same Velocity they both make 172 PF

Shoot which you like better.

I use Bayou's cause Donnie got me bullets when they where hard to come by a couple of years ago.

I was out and everybody else just kept me on their waiting lists.

When I told Donnie I was out!!! HE sent me bullets and I had them in two days

So he's got my business because he actually cares about the shooters

My Bayou 200 gr RN's are a touch over .401. Just enough that they won't fit a Dillon case gauge, I gauge them backwards.

Doesn't seem to be a problem, they run just fine through a Tanfo Limited. When I get time I'll ream the gauge.

The main difference i have seen, at least in my glocks with KKM barrel, is that the .401 sized bullets wont drop freely in and out of the chamber. They are still accurate but sometimes its a little though to unload and show clear. So if possible, i would get .400.

My Bayou 200 gr RN's are a touch over .401. Just enough that they won't fit a Dillon case gauge, I gauge them backwards.

Doesn't seem to be a problem, they run just fine through a Tanfo Limited. When I get time I'll ream the gauge.

I just loaded 500 MG 180 JHPs (.400) and 500 Ibejiheads 180gr FPs (.401) this weekend - everything fit my Dillon case gauge.

Passing a case gage with a loaded case is a function of the bullet profile, which is going to be affected by both diameter and OAL. One person saying .401 bullets worked fine in a Dillon gage and another saying they didn't is pretty meaningless without knowing the actual profile of the bullets being compared and the OAL you both are using.

For example, I have an EGW case gage for 9mm (I only have my 9mm OAL data handy here at work for this). I can load a Berry's 9mm 124g Round Nose to 1.195" and pass case gage....well over the max OAL for 9mm. But a 9mm 124g Hollow Base Flat Point can only be loaded to 1.115" in the same case gage. Same diameter bullets.

I just loaded 500 MG 180 JHPs (.400) and 500 Ibejiheads 180gr FPs (.401) this weekend - everything fit my Dillon case gauge.

Passing a case gage with a loaded case is a function of the bullet profile, which is going to be affected by both diameter and OAL. One person saying .401 bullets worked fine in a Dillon gage and another saying they didn't is pretty meaningless without knowing the actual profile of the bullets being compared and the OAL you both are using.

For example, I have an EGW case gage for 9mm (I only have my 9mm OAL data handy here at work for this). I can load a Berry's 9mm 124g Round Nose to 1.195" and pass case gage....well over the max OAL for 9mm. But a 9mm 124g Hollow Base Flat Point can only be loaded to 1.115" in the same case gage. Same diameter bullets.

In my case, I load long to 1.180", and the bullet profile does not get hung up inside the case gauge.. sticks out the other side.. plunks in freely and drops out freely.. I'm not so concerned about bullet profile rather than just making quality ammo that will fit in my barrel. If I ever encounter a bullet profile that has an issue with the standard case gauge, I guess I would just use my barrel instead.

.401 will not feed reliably in my AET barrel. I use Blue Bullets .400/200gr. AOL 1.208 avg., .420 crimp. Gauge properly in my shockbottle (40L) and plunk and spin in my chamber. One large hole accuracy, but shoot left vs. Federal factory 180gr which shoots right. Sights set for the Blue Bullets, no dirty barrel, only blue dust on my fingers during reloading..