Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock Ammo for Speed Shooting?

Mrlucky353

Hi Guys and Gals,

I hope this isn't too dumb of a question.

When I watch videos of the great ones doing speed shooting drills, I wonder how much time is saved by the use of special pistols, holsters, and ammo.

I'd love to compare my speed (or more correctly, rate of fire) with a champion shooting all factory stock equipment so I'll know how high of a mountain I have left to climb. For example, I checked the SCSA rule book and I could not find any catagories restricting shooters to factory ammo loadings.

So, is there a competitive shooting sport where the participants use only stock pistols, holsters, and factory ammo?

Thanks!

I know Trijicon put on a match last year where they provided all of the guns and ammunition and had everyone compete on an even playing field. This encompassed several disciplines of shooting but I think to get what you're looking for, you'd almost need something like that. GSSF seems to be kind of close to the "even playing field", might be something to check out.

i don't think shooting a Production gun with factory ammo is really any major disadvantage. the difference between factory 145ish PF ammo and your typical 130 PF reload just doesn't account for much .... if you have solid fundamentals and can shoot accuractly at speed ammo ain't going to mean that much ...

Some factory ammo goes sub-minor (below 125 power factor) also so you have to watch for that. In USPSA, we have what's called Official Match Ammo, which you buy at large matches and you pretty much are guaranteed to make your power factor since the rules are in your favor then.

It would be too much to ask everyone to shoot factory ammo when we can make it cheaper, better (somewhat), and suited to the handgun/match.

Personally, reloading ammo has more to do with the cost per round fired than it does with how much power the round has. If I have to use factory ammo for an event or at a range, I don't go to that place.

That said, my hand loads are generally loaded specifically for the power factor so of course they aren't going to be loaded hotter than normal. That's more of a bonus than the goal.

Even USPSA production class allows for some modifications.. You can pretty much bet they aren't running stock anything. . Jmo

but you *can* run a completely stock gun, and many newer shooters do run stock guns, and the difference will be measurable, but not dramatic . I shoot my p01 to practice sometimes (completely stock except for slightly lighter hammer spring). The sights are a bigger handicap than the trigger. I could compete with that trigger and it would only slow me down a couple percent.

Learning how to shoot better is MUCH more important in SS or production than buying the fanciest gun.

Edited by motosapiens

How "stock" is stock? Run a few thousand rounds thru a gun & i guarantee its smoother & easier to shoot than when new. Is it still stock? This is sort of hard to quantify. If i hand polish the parts that are going to wear smooth anyway does that mean its not stock? Can you see the problems involved in an all stock competition?