Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best technique to Reload a 686 with retention

johniac7078

I load weak hand but when forced to do a retention I do a switch hand load and just dump everything into my right hand and put the whole mess into a pocket and finish the loading with my right hand. Another way would be to open the cylinder and tilt the gun up to let the live reounds drop into your weak hand, stow, eject fired rounds and load....much slower. For speed it's best to be profecient in both types of reloads to be able to switch when needed.

I use the same technique.

On the other hand, I can't help but think that Bubber's unload and show clear technique in the linked video could be turned into a decent retention reload. Eject everything into the left hand, dump in vest pocket, pick loader out of vest pocket and stuff it in the cylinder.

http://4wheelguns.com/Videos.html

Top video about 40 seconds in.

Perhaps no good while moving, but worth a look.

I use the same technique.

On the other hand, I can't help but think that Bubber's unload and show clear technique in the linked video could be turned into a decent retention reload. Eject everything into the left hand, dump in vest pocket, pick loader out of vest pocket and stuff it in the cylinder.

http://4wheelguns.com/Videos.html

Top video about 40 seconds in.

Perhaps no good while moving, but worth a look.

hmmmmm.....great vid and I like to song too.

I load weak hand but when forced to do a retention I do a switch hand load and just dump everything into my right hand and put the whole mess into a pocket and finish the loading with my right hand. Another way would be to open the cylinder and tilt the gun up to let the live reounds drop into your weak hand, stow, eject fired rounds and load....much slower. For speed it's best to be profecient in both types of reloads to be able to switch when needed.

thats what I do, but if i carry my sped loaders on my eek hand side, and will need all 3, I have a long reach for the last one.....

I do a strong hand reload. RWRs are simple from that. You wear a vest... the pocket flap is tucked inside and open. You are allowed to carry your third speedloader in a pocket. That's the pocket it goes into. Break cylinder, dump everything into right hand, dump in pocket, come out with speedloader and load. It can be very fast.

I do a strong hand reload. RWRs are simple from that. You wear a vest... the pocket flap is tucked inside and open. You are allowed to carry your third speedloader in a pocket. That's the pocket it goes into. Break cylinder, dump everything into right hand, dump in pocket, come out with speedloader and load. It can be very fast

ill have to try it. Do you do it for more than one reload?

"The whole mess in a pocket" is a sign of the sixgunner's red headed stepchild status in IDPA.

How are you to get the live rounds back out of the mess to shoot them?

The old old police revolver tac load was to open the cylinder with the muzzle down, short stroke the ejector rod and release. This let the live rounds drop back into the cylinder and the expanded empties would stick up. Whereupon you were supposed to pluck out the prominent empties and replace with loose rounds.

I strong hand reloaded and what I did was to open the cylinder, tip the muzzle up and let the live rounds drop into my hand. I punched the ejector to get rid of the empties while pocketing the live rounds only and reaching for a speedloader.

If this is for the game of IDPA keep in mind that they can't require a RWR on the clock. There is no round dumping rule anymore, so just shoot the gun dry. You can also just blast makup rounds on a target while headed downrange in the open and then reload on the move to your next shooting position. (rule 3.6.6.6) All the above are faster if for the game. When you said no real world application I assumed you were thinking of IDPA. With the new rules that start on March 1 I have a hard time imagining a situation that I would do an actual RWR.

+1 to Gregg K. I too would figure out a way to get 6 rounds out of the gun rather than do a RWR. But... irrespective of what the Rule Book says I have seen RWRs required in a Limited Standards stage, and there is no way around a RWR there. So... vest pocket open, speedloader sitting inside, dump everything in there and come out with 6 fresh. It's a PITA... but it beats a PE.

I can't force a MD to adhere to the Rule Book at a club match.

Without taking the time to look at the rule book, I am pretty sure it is they cannot mandate a RWR during a scenario stage, but during a standards stage they can.

I reload week hand and always carry my third reload in my vest pocket. Faster than reaching around my back and work great if there is a RWR needed. WIth round dumping I try to find a place to burn them off, but if a RWR just seems to work better then I am set for it. I tip the gun back and let the live rounds fall out into my hand, drop those in my pocket and come out with the speed loader. WIth speedloader in hand I eject the spent cases and charge the cylinder. This is slower on a flat footed reload, but with that rule gone now it works well for me on a moving reload behind cover.

If this is for the game of IDPA keep in mind that they can't require a RWR on the clock. There is no round dumping rule anymore, so just shoot the gun dry. You can also just blast makup rounds on a target while headed downrange in the open and then reload on the move to your next shooting position. (rule 3.6.6.6) All the above are faster if for the game. When you said no real world application I assumed you were thinking of IDPA. With the new rules that start on March 1 I have a hard time imagining a situation that I would do an actual RWR.

Well, it will be required at S&W indoor nationals this year. Stage 12. Are you sure they can't require a RWR on the clock?

Well, it will be required at S&W indoor nationals this year. Stage 12. Are you sure they can't require a RWR on the clock?

As pointed out above, they can have you do one on the clock in a standards stage, is it a standards stage? Here is the rule. The indoor will be run under the old rulebook since the new book is effective March 1. Keep in mind that the indoor match has a history of running by whatever rules they want to and frequently ignore the rulebook.

Any required Loaded Chamber/Cylinder Reloads on a Scenario stage must be performed off the clock. Loaded Chamber/Cylinder Reloads may be required "on the clock" in Standards stages, such as the IDPA Classifier.

Wow, 3 RWR on the stage. And because the stage is so stupid we will allow you to break the rules on this stage so that you are better able to complete it. From the stage description

"Revolvers must perform the reload with retention, but may use 4 speedloaders."

Since you can violate the rule on the number of speedloaders, can you violate where it is located? May as well just put it on your belly button since it's already an allowed violation of the rulebook. Making it up as they go at the S&W indoor. :mellow:

This was 3 seconds faster than the other methods I tried. Thanks!

Wow, 3 RWR on the stage. And because the stage is so stupid we will allow you to break the rules on this stage so that you are better able to complete it. From the stage description

"Revolvers must perform the reload with retention, but may use 4 speedloaders."

Since you can violate the rule on the number of speedloaders, can you violate where it is located? May as well just put it on your belly button since it's already an allowed violation of the rulebook. Making it up as they go at the S&W indoor. :mellow:

Yup