Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a mechanical recoil reducer legal in HM?

openclassterror

I have a gal that I do work for that shoots Heavy Metal. We are building her a new shotgun, and are looking for ways to ease up the recoil for her as she is slightly built. A pump gun just hammers the heck out of her. We need to shorten the stock a bunch anyhow, so it occurred to me that it would be the perfect opportunity to add a spring/ piston type recoil reducer since we are already butchering the stock. She would rather avoid the weight/ balance issues of a mercury type unit. Does anyone know if these are legal? The whole "factory configuration" lines seem blurry since people swap stocks, handguards, gas systems, Lo-Mass carriers and buffers, etc on ARs constantly and nobody seems to mind. How uptight are the rule makers about shotguns?

Do it with ammo instead? There is a Federal..and a cough, cough, Winchester load of a 1 ounce charge at around 980- 1000 fps. Pretty mild.

Knocks stocks and their ilk, are affectionately known as " Time Bombs". It isn't IF they will break, it is WHEN! I have seen several good injuries when they break. I don't allow them in my classes if you are non L.E., and with L.E. I warn them right up front and they sign a waver for them.

This is what I would do if she wants an 870 or a Mossberg...

Hogue reduced LOP stock http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/stock-forend-parts/stock-sets/adjustable-stock-sets/overmolded-shotgun-stock-forend-sets-prod18365.aspx

Top that off with a slip-on Limbsaver pad http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/recoil-parts/recoil-pads/limbsaver-slip-on-recoil-pad-prod19578.aspx?psize=96

This gives a 13" LOP on my 870 and is comfortable enough that I can shoot 200+ rds a day with no recoil worries :D

As a measure, I've got a Supernova that is uncomfortable after 20rds - a result of doing stupid things with motorcycles in my youth....

Edited by SteveA

Steve A is on the right track. The shorter stock will help a bunch and while you're at it, look at the drop and cast. My stock is pretty "flat", not much drop, with a bunch of cast. Felt recoil on a shotgun is all about fit. I don't get bruised anymore and I can usually hit what I'm looking at, without having to aim the shotgun.

Which rules set are you shooting under? IMA-SMM3G rules only prohibit "barrel devices":

5.5.4.4 Barrel devices designed/intended to reduce recoil or muzzle movement (e.g. compensators, barrel porting) are prohibited.

Adding a mercury device, or even just lead shot, might be a good way to go anyway because it would bring the balance point baack and make it easier for her to swing fast. Remember, the gun gets pretty muzzle-heavy when the magazine tube is full.

Edited by StealthyBlagga