Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SP01 Shadow - need replacement hammer advice?

lksyotas

This is my first CZ...Just picked up a SP01 Shadow a few weeks ago and have put 1000 rounds through it with no issues. Gun is a solid shooter with very soft recoil.

About 500 rounds ago, I upgraded the trigger components with CGW 11.5lb main spring, Type 1 disconnector, ext. firing pin kit, free float trigger pin, and trigger spring. After polishing the internals from the very helpful resources here my DA pull is averaging 6lb 10oz and SA is averaging 2lb 10 oz with my Lyman digital scale. I'm very happy with the results but still want to reduce the creep before break a tad more. Looking carefully at the stock hammer, I can see it cams ever so slightly before the sear lets loose. I've spoken with Dave from CGW regarding his hammer and adjustable sear and it appears as its cut narrow to fit all CZ models. Whereas, the CZC hammer comes in wider width for pre B models like my Shadow. So to you experts out there, which hammer do you recommend? Will the narrower sear / hammer combo from CGW fit my Shadow properly in that both components are narrower? I've read several posts regarding each of these hammers but it didn't totally clear up my thoughts. Also, want to shoot this mainly in IDPA SSP/ ESP - not sure if the CGW hammer is legal as its not production. Thoughts, comments?...

What post is complete without some eye candy!

IMG_7647_zpsjpkax35b.jpg

IMG_7657_zpsz2gdh7r0.jpg

Your Shadow slide is cut out for a wide hammer. You should be using a wide hammer. And since the hammer is an external part, and the CZC wide comp hammer is a part on OEM pistols, you should have no issues with rule violations.

Hello there fellow Shadow owner

What holster is that? What company and model - if you can please?

Thank you

Holster is home made. I do kydex holsters as a side business. Typically, each pistol I buy, one of the first things I do is build a holster for it using the actual gun as the mold.

IMG_7649_zpsywkywtge.jpg

IMG_7652_zpsai21p833.jpgIMG_7651_zps5p0esm2e.jpg

The camming of the hammer back as you pull the trigger in single action has to do with the angle of the sear and it needs to be dressed with a stone until it doesn't move. You may have to do this no matter what hammer you buy. There is a thread here on how to do it. I'm thinking that the technique is in this thread.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9685&hl=%2Badjusting+%2Bsear+%2Bangle#entry112713

CZ sears are pretty soft and therefore I really don't recommend stoning the sear. You will be much better off just installing the competition hammer. Don't think of a CZ as a 1911. Hammer / sear engagement is very different. On a 1911 you really have to do some work on a sear to get a 2# pull. On a shadow all you have to do is add a competition hammer and adjust the trigger return spring.

I'm not sure what hammer came on your shadow. Both of my shadows came with competition hammers. In any event, the CGW hammers are fantastic parts but are not legal for competition. Buy a CZC competition hammer. It should take care of your issue.

Edited by twowheels

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am comfortable performing 1911 trigger upgrades, my last project was re profiling the sear with a true radius and stoning the hammer hooks down to .018". That produced a smooth and repeatable 2lb trigger in my Trojan. Anyway, I understand the low case hardness of the CZ sear so I will not be stoning that at all. The stock hammer that came in my Shadow has what appears (didn't measure) hammer hooks that are in between stock and competition as far as height goes. So I'll try the CZC wide hammer and see where that lands me. I don't want the trigger any lighter than what it is now for IDPA. I just want to make it a tad crisper by reducing the creep before break for the longer shots.

The shadow's can use either the wide hammer (like the stock shadow hammer) or the wide or narrow CZ UB comp hammer. in fact when CZ UB first started selling the comp hammer for shadows I only ever saw wide. The next batch that came were all narrow and finally when they shipped the orange/2012 shadow and the shadow mate both came with the narrow comp hammer from the factory. It doesn't seem to affect things at all. Obviously you can't use the wide hammer on the narrow slide guns but the other way around is fine.

Just did a Shadow trigger job recently with standard hammer. I left the sear alone.
Just study the single action pull on the hammer hooks. You'll figure it out.

Don't change the angles.

Stone as much as you need from the hammer hooks, then polish with a fine stone. I measured mine .025" hook thickness. Removed .010". I might take .002 more, but I'll let it smooth itself at this point.

I don't think all hammers will be the same. Remember though you could be stone stroke away from too far.

If you do it right there will still be a slight positive engagement, then release. Polish all surfaces in D/A mode also.

Take up is still there, but the creep is gone and trigger weight has not changed

Installed the CZC comp wide hammer this evening. After fitting the sear to allow the safety to engage, it was good to go. Trigger pull weight stayed the same but the break has zero creep now. Feels very similar to my 1911 Trojan trigger. Very satisfied with the results. Thanks for everyone's comments here in helping me decide to go this route.