Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please help, I have a Dillon 550B and I started brass on the powder dr

I have a fairly new Dillon 550B that has about 1700 rounds on it with on a few small hiccups. I have it set up in .40 S&W with Dillon Pistol dies. I have it set for a very small flare. This evening I was loading up some .40 S&W, on Winchester Brass that has been wet tumbled. OAL 1.125". Half turn on the crimp. Yes I am using Hornady One Shot Case Lube. So anyways my powder drop station started mangling my brass even though it is still dropping the correct charge. It did it to 3 cases out of 5 so I stopped. I tried cleaning everything off but I did not disassemble anything yet. I tried to check up in the powder drop and I couldn't see or feel anything that would be causing it and the drop moves freely. I tried 5 more cases and it did the same thing, mangled 3 out of the 5. I do not feel any increase or change on the stroke. I am sure it must be something dumb I did but please any help would be greatly appreciated. My cases look like they have a little pour spout on them after the powder drop and they are ruined. Please see the attached photo. Thank-you guys.

Joe

The Load

.40 S&W

Berry's 180 GR FP

6.9 Longshot

Winchester Brass

OAL: 1.125"

Crimp, half turn.

post-45513-0-35442900-1423107194_thumb.j

Edited by JJP161

Ok that does make some sense, it didn't loosen up on me the other night and I tightened it back up and loaded another 200 rounds with no problem but this was the first time since then that I used her.

Ok that does make some sense, it didn't loosen up on me the other night and I tightened it back up and loaded another 200 rounds with no problem but this was the first time since then that I used her.

Did you also tighten the lock screw on the left side of the ram?

Edited by Pat Miles

My XL650 did the same thing. It's out of alignment. Take it apart again (if you haven't fixed it already) go slow, double check your work and don't forget the lock pin. If you still have trouble with it, call Dillon. They sent out an alignment tool that you use when getting the base and shell plate setup. Worked for me, and now I'm not crushing cases anymore.

Coach.

Take the shell plate off and check for debri in the index holes of the shell plate. Small flakes of powder, brass shavings, lead shaving can get in there and the index ball will not set correctly in the index hole, causing misalignment. Clean the shellplate and the index ball.

Are you sure that is not happening in the sizing die? It looks like something is stuck in there forming the brass. There should be anything in a powder funnel die to make that shape.

I have had the exact thing happen on my 550...it is the lip of the powder die catching the brass and crushing it...another thing to check for is incorrect locator pins...I.E. too small of locator pins (using 40S&W pins for 9mm)...this will let the brass move on the position.

Also, any debri on the top of the shellplate can tip the case just enough to cause the powder funnel to catch the brass and crush it. A small can of compressed air is very handy to have around.

Ok guys thank you for all the help so quickly. I back out the set screw which did seem loose and took off the shell plate. I cleaned everything off, blew everything out with compressed air. Replaced the shell plate and tightened down the set screw. Ran a quick 25 rounds and all seems to be just fine. I am still really new on this machine so thanks again everyone I really appreciate all the help.

Joe