Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doublestar Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun Oct 15-17, 2015 at Rockcastle

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually liked the idea of stage 2. I also think that Pete and other RO's did as good as they could under the circumstances. However, with the shooting going on on stage 1, there was a good bit of confusion from one end of our squad to the other. Further more, I was number 10 shooter on our squad list and had #10 in my mind, but I ended up being shooter #11. Well, I ended up shooting my entire first string of slugs at the #10 slug target. :surprise: In hindsight, it was a great way to make friends with shooter #10. :cheers:

On Stage 2, can anyone remember the sequence? It went so fast, it was a blur... I remember @175 yards, 3 rifle standing, then 3 rifle freestyle @175, then run to 150yds, and 4 rounds freestyle... kinda gets fuzzy after that... I know we shot pistols from back there, long before we got to the 75yd line, and retrieved shotguns...

I know we shot 3 rounds of pistol from 75...b/c I shot them at my rifle target LOL

Thanks to the staff that ran the match. This was a great match and I really enjoyed it. The physical obstacles were great. The climbing wall, the rope, the tow straps on stage 4, they were all great. This was my second Blue Ridge the match was challenging and fun.

Just for some constructive feed back, stage 2 was very dissapointing, and I heard many complaints. It's fun to test accuracy, but paying the match fee and driving long distances just to shoot like a normal shooting line at home was pretty boring. Being shooter number 1 I also found that even with electronic muffs on it was very hard to hear the timer going off if there was any other shooting going on on stage 1.

Thanks to the staff that ran the match. This was a great match and I really enjoyed it. The physical obstacles were great. The climbing wall, the rope, the tow straps on stage 4, they were all great. This was my second Blue Ridge the match was challenging and fun.

Just for some constructive feed back, stage 2 was very dissapointing, and I heard many complaints. It's fun to test accuracy, but paying the match fee and driving long distances just to shoot like a normal shooting line at home was pretty boring. Being shooter number 1 I also found that even with electronic muffs on it was very hard to hear the timer going off if there was any other shooting going on on stage 1.

I did not hate stage 2. I agree it was a test of shooting ability. But if I had a choice between that type of stage and any of the other stages in the match (including stage 5). I would have shot any of them twice just for the pure enjoyment factor being higher. Stage 8 I would have shot 3 times...as long as I got a few min to catch my breath in between runs.

Thanks Andy & RO's, it was a great match and I'm looking forward to the next one!

One bit of feedback:

I know that myself and a few other shooters had some confusion on how many rounds you could have in the shotgun during an empty chamber start, but I think I've figured it out:

http://www.brm3g.com/index_files/Page571.htm

6.3.2.6 No shotgun in Tactical class may be loaded with more than 9 rounds at any time, or hold over 8 rounds in the magazine tube.

There are two parts to this rule as written, never have more than 9 rounds in the shotgun, and never hold more than 8 in the mag tube.

As written, having a full tube (8 rounds), and 1 round on the lifter, closed & empty chamber, satisfies both halves of 6.3.2.6.

(There are 8 in the magazine tube, which is allowed, and there are 9 rounds in the shotgun, also allowed)

While I can't speak for everyone, I imagine that none of us would appreciate getting bumped to open for violating an unwritten rule, so I'd suggest adding something like this for next year:

"6.3.2.6.1 No shotgun in Tactical class may have more than 8 rounds in the shotgun during an empty chamber start"

It would save everyone the hassle of asking (and answering) the question in the future.

Edited by mechanical

I like the suggestion. How about this: 6.3.2.6 No shotgun in Tactical division may be loaded with more than 9 rounds at any time, nor have more than 8 rounds in the shotgun during an empty chamber start.

Andy

There are many people who I would like to thank for helping make the BRM3G a success this year. While working on this post, I realized that it’s impossible to put one group over the others in importance when looking at the overall event. So here we go.

Our sponsors are great companies, and the folks at each of them are great people to work with. Since every shooter who completed the match received something from at least one of our sponsors, please take the time to send an email or letter to thank them for supporting the match. Also, as we’ve emphasized every year, please support the companies that contribute to our sport with your purchases and your recommendations to your friends. Everyone who shot the match will be receiving an email from Doublestar, and another from me which will contain the email addresses for our sponsors.

Thanks to the shooters who attended. This year had the least amounts of problems and issues of any of our matches thus far. Those who attend the BRM3G year after year, and the new guys and gals who plan to come back in the future, are a special group of competitors. It’s safe to say that you enjoy a challenge, you don’t always follow the easy path, and you know there can be more to 3-gun competition than just shooting a target. Getting together at the lodge, enjoying the band, overeating at the Doublestar sponsored dinner were all fun times. It was good to see friends that I’ve missed over the last couple of years while too busy to be out shooting matches.

Special thanks also go out to the staff of the BRM3G. Our range officers are among the best. As anyone who has served as an RO knows, it takes a well-coordinated group to make complicated stages run well and on time. There are several folks who have been working with me since January to make the match possible, and will be working over the next couple of weeks to take care of the post-match details. Paul, Mike, Chris, Cindy, Bret, and Adam have gone above and beyond to make the match and prize table possible.

Take care, stay safe, and I hope to see you all again next year.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...