Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not being able to apply to the USMC

Jeeper

I am about to graduate from law school and I wanted to go into the USMC Jag corp. Since I use an inhaler once every 6 months or so I cant apply since it is a medical disqualifier. :angry: I understand not allowing people in with medical conditions but this is ridiculous. I was a competitive cyclist up through college without issue. Oh well..... :(:(:(

I am about to graduate from law school and I wanted to go into the USMC Jag corp.  Since I use an inhaler once every 6 months or so I cant apply since it is a medical disqualifier. :angry:  I understand not allowing people in with medical conditions but this is ridiculous.  I was a competitive cyclist up through college without issue.  Oh well..... :(  :(  :(

I understand your disappointment. But they may be kinder than they appear -- I have read that stress can seriously agravate asthma, and they are in a business that pretty much requires stress. While combat exposure might be rare for JAG personnel, it's no unheard of, and then also part of the Marines is uncompromising high standards -- let the Army take the rest. . . What about the FBI? They like law school graduates, and work the non-perp side of the law, which is your implied preference from the JAG choice.

Go ahead and apply, answer the questions truthfully, then ask for a waiver. Worked in almost all the cases I know about including mine (AF not Marines).

Geezer

From what I have read. The new standard is "non-waiverable". After 12 you are pretty much SOL if it shows up on ANY medical records.

Go ahead and apply, answer the questions truthfully, then ask for a waiver. Worked in almost all the cases I know about including mine (AF not Marines).

Geezer

From what I have read. The new standard is "non-waiverable". After 12 you are pretty much SOL if it shows up on ANY medical records.

Go ahead and apply, answer the questions truthfully, then ask for a waiver.

Enlistments were down overall by 11% last month. Don't take anyone's word or "understanding" until you have it in writing.

geezer

I'm very very sorry. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I could not become a military pilot because of my eyes. I will never be able to be an airline pilot without suing the Federal Govt. because.....get a load of this sh*t.....I have hay fever that is easily controlled with an occasional dose of antihistimines.

I can tell you one thing, my kids aren't going to have medical records. I'll tell you another thing: if you ever want to be a pilot, lie. I stupidly told the truth, and look what it did for me. It totally destroyed a career option.

Geezer

Go ahead and apply, answer the questions truthfully, then ask for a waiver.

Enlistments were down overall by 11% last month. Don't take anyone's word or "understanding" until you have it in writing.

geezer

I had the same thought about enlistment numbers.

I already DID apply (Sorry...I should have been more clear). When I was running through the iniitial questions with the recruiter he said too bad. Marine Jag is very competitive to get into evidentally and he said that there was basically no chance.

Jeeper,

Recruiters don't know all that they think they do.

If you want to get into the military...get the hell in there.

Go see other recruiters (far away from this guy's "grapevine"). Go talk with somebody in a local unit that is in the field you wish to join...get their backing. Talk with your congress-person...get a recommendation from them. Get it kicked up above the recruiter in the local office...and get the waiver.

Look into other branches. Look at the National Guard (their waivers go thru a different office).

If this is what you really want...don't give up on it without a good fight. You will regret it if you do.

I'd file a discrimination lawsuit. :P Sorry, I just had to say it. Why do you want to go into the Service? Is it for patriotic reasons? If it's about patriotism We the People sure can use some more lawyers defending our Constitutional Rights, the Second Amendment in particular. If your heart is really on serving in the military Flexmoney gave some good advice in seeking out your CONgress Critters, Especially if one of your Critters is on the Armed Services Committee.