Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine: top round looking down

Foxbat

SVI original 170mm magazine, 9mm, 29 rounds loaded. The top round is tight at its rear, but the front, its bullet, is not under any tension, you can move it up and down with your finger.

As result - it sometimes tries to go into the chamber too low, hits the ramp and stops.

Replaced the spring (which was only 6 months old), same thing.

Any ideas

How does it act with 28 loaded. I can cram 29 in my mags but they don't always work. With 28 they are 100% I'm sure it's related to the tapered case of the 9mm. I wonder if trying the LEE FCD might take a tine bit of any excess taper or bulge out of the base?

Bend the spring so that follower nose is up

+1 to what he said.

You might also check if the mag feed lips are within spec dimension-wise. The feed lips should measure to .350-.355 and can have a variance of .003-.005. This info is courtesy of Dawsons.

SVI original 170mm magazine, 9mm, 29 rounds loaded. The top round is tight at its rear, but the front, its bullet, is not under any tension, you can move it up and down with your finger.

As result - it sometimes tries to go into the chamber too low, hits the ramp and stops.

Replaced the spring (which was only 6 months old), same thing.

Any ideas

I'd call Beven and describe the symptoms.

The tube is about 16 months old, and it is used pretty regularly, it is my #1 magazine.

I bent the spring, and did not see any improvement. It is sporadic with 29 rounds of JHP. With 28 there doesn't seem to be a problem. Having a CMJ bullet on top usually makes the problem much less pronounced.

Bend the spring so that follower nose is up

+1 to what he said.

You might also check if the mag feed lips are within spec dimension-wise. The feed lips should measure to .350-.355 and can have a variance of .003-.005. This info is courtesy of Dawsons.

Is this the dimension you are talking about? If so, I am measuring .315" there, and this used to be my most reliable magazine.

post-21305-0-42791200-1422647309_thumb.j

Two things.

I've learned from someone much more knowledgeable than I on mag tuning that feed lip dimensions (setting to a "set" dimension) is not the way to tune mag lips. Instead, they should be as wide as possible without having rounds slip through vertically. So slide/breech face can strip off round easily. They should be parallel to each other, not wider or skinnier at front or rear.

Also, those dimensions only apply as a guide AND on STI mags. SVI mags are another animal onto themselves.

What do all your other SVI mags you have measure at the feed lips?

Hello: Set the mag lips to 0.357 front to back. Use Bolen follower and spring now TTI. I can get 30 rounds in my 170mm mags in 9mm. If you have the new style mags 30 rounds is not a problem. You MAY have to modify the bottom of the tube to stop the salt shaker from happening. Thanks, Eric