Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun Nation DQ?

I think it is fine under 3GN, but might get you DQ'ed undef FNH rules—I believe the shotgun would not be considered "abandoned" until the hand came off, which means at the moment the pistol came out of the holster it would be "handling two firearms" simultaneously. We actually got very specific commentary on this sort of situation on the slung rifle stage (Stage 1) at last year's FNH championship.

No DQ.

Per the new rules:

2.25 During the course of fire, a competitor "is allowed" to handle more than one firearm at a time, however neither firearm may be discharged until one is either re-holstered or safely grounded. Violation of this rule with result in a match DQ.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Reason I am asking is I got DQ'ed at the SW Regional this year for this. I have seen it on many of their tv shows where the pro's do this in transition all the time. Is this rule new this year?

gerritm

Looks like a rule change.

3-GUN NATION CLUB SERIES RULES –JULY 2013

5.14 A competitor may not have more than one firearm in their hand at any time while

negotiating a course of fire. Example: A competitor is moving to a dump barrel to ground

a long gun and they draw their handgun. This is considered an unsafe action and will

result in a DQ.

I do not know if the Pros or Regionals used a different set of rules but if they did, not overly kosher.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

It was a DQ under the old rules in the Regional series. It was a judgment call rule and that is why I think they changed it. I didn't like the rule because it was subject to an opinion and I don't think all RO's called it the same.

The Pro series was a different set of rules.

Reason I am asking is I got DQ'ed at the SW Regional this year for this. I have seen it on many of their tv shows where the pro's do this in transition all the time. Is this rule new this year?

gerritm

Yes. It used to be a DQ for handling two firearms at the same time. They changed that rule in the new set.

It used to be a DQ in the old rule set. It was changed for the obvious subjective reasons and now mirrors the Pro Series rules.

The Regional rules are now the foundation that the Pro and Club will come from. There are a few small changes that will be highlighted/subdued in color to note the slight differences in each for easy identification.

One of the newest rules is the abandonment/grounding rule which defines when a firearm is done for the stage and allows all competitors to rectify any abandonment errors prior to firing the next gun. It makes it clear for the CRO/RO and removes the grey area they we felt was present in most situations involving abandonment/grounding procedure. It's more of a protection for the competitors.

In the Pro and Regional Series there are certain requirements that are adhered to. Since 3GN has total oversight in both of those series' certain aspects remain constant and consistent.

The Club series on the other hand is administered by non 3GN staff and certain protocalls cannot be guaranteed even though they are in the rules. In some cases the host range has a different set of safety rules required for use at their facility that differ from 3GN.

Edited by mr50mag

The Club series on the other hand is administered by non 3GN staff and certain protocalls cannot be guaranteed even though they are in the rules.

How did the 3GN staff receive their training on the rules and when will training classes be offered to folks shooting the club level matches?

A local IDPA based club indicated it was considering aligning itself with 3GN but their ROs needed to attend the "classes" first.

They got their training on the job over the last 3 seasons of the Pro Series and working most if not all of the Regionals last season. We have had a steady roster of returning ROs for each.

The protocols I was referring are to the use of certain designated containers and tables and how they are secured to the ground.

Since we cannot be present at every Club series match and won't dictate every aspect of their setup the old way of grounding firearms apply to the Club series only. Any firearm grounded that is loaded with the safety off is a match DQ. We can't assume they're pointed straight down, the container is secured from tipping, the designated container is in a safe direction or that there isn't a direct conflict on how the Regional rules pertain to grounding and the host club's procedure.

We are in the process of developing a curriculum for certification based off the newly drafted rules and will be beta testing them at a few local matches prior to announcing and offering them to new and current Club series members.

Edited by mr50mag