Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power Pistol in 9mm

shotgunone

Anybody loading Power Pistol in 9mm -minor or major? I did a little searching and seems like Power Pistol is close to HS-6 in burn rate. So how does it perform and what bullet weight would you use for major and minor work ups? Any data your willing to share for minor and major loading.

Thanks

Edited by shotgunone

I don't use it for USPSA. IMO there are better choices for minor, that are less flashy and powerful, while I haven't tried to push it to major (and don't plan to).

I use it for hotter 9mm to simulate defensive ammo (150ish Power Factor). Still pretty flashy. And for hot 10mm.

Anybody loading Power Pistol in 9mm -minor or major? I did a little searching and seems like Power Pistol is close to HS-6 in burn rate. So how does it perform and what bullet weight would you use for major and minor work ups? Any data your willing to share for minor and major loading.

Thanks

Well since it is a slower burning powder it would not be my first or second choice for minor.

The problem with loading for major is that you have to load it out of Sammi Spec.

I have not made any 9mm Major loads yet but I have made 168 PF with a 124g JHP with 7.4g of PP in 38 super.

Never used it myself but PP is supposed to be good powder for 9mm.

Since I have access to TG and Clays, I don't see why I should ever use 6gr per round as opposed to 3.6-4gr. I'm cheap, ok :)

General rule is to use fast-er burning powder for Minor PF and slower for Major.

While not my favorite it was about the only powder for 9 that I could find recently.

Don't want to get into providing load data, but under a 125gr RN coated bullet (the blue bullets) I am getting an average of 1,040 fps out of my Glock 17 (no porting, no comp). This is with a mid-range charge from the Hornady guide.

Never loaded any PP in 9 minor as there are far too many better options even in the current powder crisis. But, I have comfortably made major in 9mm with it in a 5" 2011. As others have mentioned; it's loud and flashy.

Back in my 10mm days I used a ton of Power Pistol. It produced excellent velocities second only to Longshot and 800X.

6.0gn with 115-125gn bullets is very accurate. Most accurate powder i have found for 9x19 (and I have never noticed any extra noise or flash), with Silhouette being next best (also eliminate any flash complaints). If you want one powder for minor and major loads, look to True Blue--very versatile powder.

I have used two loads with Powerpistol. 6.0 with a 115 JHP. Very Accurate and every near me asked if I were shooting 9mm Major..Loud with a nice flash. Tried 4.5 grains with a 147 FMJ-Mild, not as loud, less flash. I dont load major. I see PP's strengths are being easy to work up accurate loads. You pay for that with muzzle flash and noise.

Thanks for all the information. I picked up a pound to try as I have been using titegroup for most of my 9mm loads. I wanted to try something else and this is about all I could find. I don't load to major PF right now. However I was wondering if PP would work since there was some mention of using PP in major loadings. Since it seems to be in the burn rate category of HS-6 though I'd ask.

Thanks

I just got done working with a pound. I am moving on to other powders now that I am getting some to try. I got real good accuracy for me with quality bullets. My shield does around 2" @ 25 td with a fairly fast zero 115. My glocks shoot better as the loads get hotter.

I cant say I noticed the flash much shooting outside and under covered shooting area. I have not shot the loads indoors.

I like my 115 xtp with unique for county carry where I might want to shoot something with four legs. That load is not hard on the ears. The PP load is a bit more than I want to shoot outside without protection. I have had a couple people ask me what I am shooting. They think it is a 40 or 357 sig.

The other day I was shooting next to a guy shooting a 45 acp. That was the loudest 45 i have heard. I have my suppisions, but didn't ask.