Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

have a look at this stage

waktasz

I meant to post this earlier last month to see what you guys thought of this but forgot. The way I shot it the MD and SO's didn't think it was worthy of a PE, but the more I think about it the more I think I might have deserved one.

Basically I shot the popper first then teh long range target next...made me way down shooting the rest of the targets, and finally put one more shot into that long range target into the -0 zone from about 6 feet away. Turned out I had a -0 and a -3 shot on that target so I think it was worth making up that shot to get another -0.

0105_2the9s.JPG

I got me a trophy out of this one too :) I just feel a little dirty about it this stage. Really it wouldn't have affected my placement either way though. We had been talking a bit about shooting the stage like that before I went and I think I was teh only person to try it like that...now if I could just hit the damn -0 twice I wouldn't have to worry about it.

I guess I don't understand the question. If you were required to shoot the popper and then move down the left side of the barrels then you would have to shoot the far target before you moved because you are exposed to it once you move around the barrel. If you think you gamed it because you reengaged the target from close up - nothing wrong with reengaging any targets in a Vickers Count Stage.

Jerry

If this is a "How would you shoot it, I would have:

Shot the popper and moved to the barrel. Shoot the target behind the barrel and the swinger (three rounds) from cover, reload and move to barrel #2 and shoot the next target behind the second barrel and the two behind the wall. Target on left that was your long shot would be my last target.

But every stage is a revolver stage for me :lol:

I don't see a way to game this. You have to move down the left side. Like COF said after taking the popper you are exposed to the far target (tactical priority, close to far). From there you are moving down the left side using cover and engaging in tactical priority (as you see them) again. Picking up the shot doesn't make it gaming.

If the question is should you feel bad because you had only one of your first two shots on target, and the makeup shot was the other, the answer is no. The rules state that you must engage , not hit, shoot, etc., the target. This only means that you must shoot at it twice. If you miss, you miss. In a vickers count stage, makeups are ok, except sometimes certain re-engagements, IE not shooting a specific target from a specific area due to safety reasons.

mcoliver said: "Min 2 shots on paper and steel until dropped.

Means one needs to shoot the steel twice also even if you already hit it on the first one?"

Nope. A comma would have helped clarify: Min 2 shots on paper, and steel until dropped.

I think it's a little easier to understand this way. Sorry, hooked on phonics. Anyone got a vowel? B)

Ted

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Several months back when we can still shoot IDPA, we had a similar stage wording. But the popper was deemed as an optional target meant to empty your gun (no need to actually hit it) so transitioning to the "stage gun" would be safe (for the new ones). Very good stage but, unfortunately, it caused too much confusion. :(

• 2 weeks later...

You gamed it correctly according to the course description. Not trying to offend the designer of this stage, but it is a poor IDPA stage. It should have stated the target could not be reingaged. By not doing this, you could have dumped two rounds toward the target, ran right up to it and shot it twice again. A better way to set this up would have been to use a NT or cover to block you from getting a shot when you got up close.

That said, you were lucky you didn't get a PE or FTN. I am not saying I would have given you one, but I have met an SO or two that would have claimed you were violating the "Spirit of the stage" and tagged you because you should just know that is not what the stage designer was thinking.

By thinking outside the box, you will probably get the title gamer. In IDPA that usually means you were smarter than the stage designer and that is a bad thing. For most of the rest of the world, you would probably get a pat on the back and hear "I wish I would have thought of that".

:D