Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting glasses

I like my Rudy's with the RX insert. I also wear them as sunglasses (w/o the insert of course) when I wear contacts.

My boss had some kind of smartalecky comment once when he saw me wearing them.

I told him if you order the golf version you get the same thing with pink lenses.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BE is right (surprise, surprise),

You want the lightest tint you can use without having to squint.

In bright light, your pupils shrink. When your pupils shrink, your depth of field increases. That means that the distance over which objects appear "in focus" will be longer, and that the change required to focus from one object to another closer or further object will be less--refocusing will be faster and less strenuous.

If shooting with glasses is worse for you than shooting with naked eyes, why not just wear clear lenses?

DogmaDog

Just bought a pair of Kerosene Golfs w/extra yellow lenses. Having eye doctor put my prescription in them and should be ready by next week.

Talked to a customers service person at rudyusa who was really knowledgeable and he recommended kerosene golf version because the lenses cover more of your face that the others except for the freeon.

JT: I have the same setup and LOVE them. However a word of caution. When you get your insert back check it out carefully. The optical lab that did mine got to do it again because they got the optical centers wrong. Fuzzy vision straight ahead but nice clear vision to the sides. Not conducive to good shooting but great for causing headaches.

My doc was about to send me and my inserts 80 miles to the lab so they would get it right, finally, but the last time out they got it right.

One trick my doc used which apparently worked really well was this:

Remove protective lenses and put in only the Rx insert in the frame. Put on the frames. Doc then takes a permanent marker and marks the optical centers right on the lenses (the Rx insert comes with throw away lenses when new). This seemed to be what helped the lab get it right.

I had to get my regular glasses adjusted the other day and the doc told me that he has now done a couple more of the Rudy Rx inserts for folks and has been using this technique as a "belt and suspenders" measure for all of them without any further misses.

I mentioned this to Jim Shannahan (who is a Rudy dealer and who supports the sport in a big way...thanks Jim!) recently and he told me he had heard of one other person having similar problems with their Rx insert.

Hope yours goes well the first time out. :)

Something that I havn't seen mentioned yet is the oakley "emerald iridium" lenses. These are what I use and I can't imagine anything better. I let my buddy wear mine for a few hours and the next time I saw him he had replaced his lenses with them.

Jeff

JT:  I have the same setup and LOVE them.  However a word of caution.  When you get your insert back check it out carefully.  The optical lab that did mine got to do it again because they got the optical centers wrong.  Fuzzy vision straight ahead but nice clear vision to the sides.  Not conducive to good shooting but great for causing headaches.

My doc was about to send me and my inserts 80 miles to the lab so they would get it right, finally, but the last time out they got it right.

One trick my doc used which apparently worked really well was this:

Remove protective lenses and put in only the Rx insert in the frame.  Put on the frames.  Doc then takes a permanent marker and marks the optical centers right on the lenses (the Rx insert comes with throw away lenses when new).  This seemed to be what helped the lab get it right.

I had to get my regular glasses adjusted the other day and the doc told me that he has now done a couple more of the Rudy Rx inserts for folks and has been using this technique as a "belt and suspenders" measure for all of them without any further misses.

I mentioned this to Jim Shannahan (who is a Rudy dealer and who supports the sport in a big way...thanks Jim!) recently and he told me he had heard of one other person having similar problems with their Rx insert.

Hope yours goes well the first time out.  :)

Well I'm currently working with my eye doc to find the perfect prescription. I'm getting an eye exam tomorrow and from there he'll tell me what to do. I think he is going to set me up with the right eye focused just for the front sights and the left eye for infinity. I'm curious how this will work.

While it does work great, I'm sick of taping the left eye to shoot with both eyes open. I can always go back to the tape if the special prescription doesn't work, but then i'm out another 85 dollars for new lenses.

My optical insert came with a foam piece in the shape of a lense that has the optical centers punched out. I wonder if this a new thing since the labs were having trouble making prescriptions for them?

Thanks for the heads-up,

Josh

I had the foam "template" for my inserts too and it went to the lab both times (and came back too...wonder of wonders).

The optical center is VERY person dependant. Eyes set too close together or too far apart and the typical optical centers don't work.

My prescription for my shooting glasses has the right (strong side) eye focussed closer than the left side. It isn't so much that I notice it but it is there.

Just let your eye doc know that this tends to be a problem and give them the suggestion of actually marking the centers on the lenses and see if that doesn't help.

Good luck!

Anyone try using regular reading glasses to help their tired ole eyes acquire your sights? I have used 1.25 reading glasses - sights looks great and the targets just look the slightest bit out of focus. Gave me new view of life with an iron sighted gun. It does worry me - very slightly - that they are not "real" gun glasses. Am I asking for disaster? :unsure:

Most of the reading glasses I have seen lately are plastic lenses and don't provide full eye coverage. They might be more shatter resistant than plain glass lenses but they aren't going to be like "real" safety rated glasses.

I kind of wonder about all the folks that shoot matches with just good old sunglasses. Maybe they are okay, maybe they aren't. The folks with the teeny tiny lenses are just asking for trouble...IMHO.

I won't even shoot with my standard prescription glasses (glass lenses) because they are ground thin and therefore not safety rated (according to my eye doc). That was enough to send me to buying Rudy's. They can take a beating and still come out okay. Jim Shanahan has pics on his site of the lenses after being peppered with a shotgun and have heard they will take a .22 and not pass it.

Go watch the video of Nolan's kaboom when his breechface ejected last weekend and then decide if you want to risk your eyes.

Wow - more to think about. I guess I do place more value on my eye(s) than the differance in the $$ on readers and "Real Glasses" - but then again - I do have a spare eye ;)

I guess I will go to the web - find Rudy's and check to see if I can get shooters glasses with a 1.25 reader insert.

Thanks for the replys.

I had the foam "template" for my inserts too and it went to the lab both times (and came back too...wonder of wonders).

The optical center is VERY person dependant.  Eyes set too close together or too far apart and the typical optical centers don't work.

My prescription for my shooting glasses has the right (strong side) eye focussed closer than the left side.  It isn't so much that I notice it but it is there. 

Just let your eye doc know that this tends to be a problem and give them the suggestion of actually marking the centers on the lenses and see if that doesn't help.

Good luck!

I was to late to have my doctor mark the optical centers on my rudy insert :(

I'm starting to wonder if the lab got it right. My focus on the front sight seems to be better with my older prescription glasses. I can see fine far away, but right at front sight distance seems not to be as sharp as it was.

I think I'll stop and see the eye doc tomorrow.

Josh

Here is how I finally figured out what the problem was...after two trips to the doc for him to check to make sure the prescription was correct over a couple weeks.

I focused on a standard slow fire pistol target (I was group shooting that day and it happend to be the what I had to shoot at) locking one of my eyes on the fine lines (closed the other eye) and slowly rotated my head. I noticed that all of a sudden the lines would snap into focus. Did the same thing with the other eye. Same result. Saw the doc the next day and the rest is history.

Also, if your regular glasses are a different material than what was used for the insert they are going to be slightly different for the same prescription. You can "see" the difference in refraction of light in the two different materials. I noticed this right away (glass normal lenses, acrylic/polycarbonate insert lenses) but I got used to it once the optical centers were correct. The doc said this was normal.

If you lenses are wrong, don't pay them to fix the problem if it is their mistake. If they force you to pay, find a new doc.

Good luck!

Well after the trip to the doc they double checked the optical centers and gave me quick eye test wearing the rudy's and he said it has been 3 months since someone was able to read that small line. He told me that switching back and forth between prescriptions was causing me problems. I ordered some new lenses in my every day glasses.

Woke up this morning and didn't put any glasses on but my Rudy's and went to the range. Wow did that front sight look razor sharp today. Looks like my doctor was right. I love the glasses. My regular glasses don't have that much eye coverage so muzzle blast was really bothering me, but not anymore.

It seems like the yellow is probably the lense I'll be using the most.

Even though the Rudy's cost a LOT of money there isn't really anything that comes close to them if you need prescription shooting glasses. Glad I paid the money for them and 10K bullets instead of using that money to buy a new gun.

Josh

Considering what you get and the benefits from having them, Rudy's are pretty cost effective, especially when compared to other "premium" lines of eyewear.

The prescription lenses are usually the biggest cost for any of them, anyway, so I used my People's Prescription Card and got a huge discount on mine! ;)

Hi guys.

I'll be buying RX inserts for my Rudys soon and I was trying to figure out what you meant by "optical centers". Is this the portion in the glasses where you have the best focus? :unsure: If so, and since I shoot with my head slightly tilted down, I should have this"center" slightly above the actual center?..hope I just made sense...

Also, how do you clean out those green thingies of the metal portion of the frame? I think these are oxidatins due to sweat. Will wiping down with gun oil offer any protection?

Thanks.

I think the "optical center" is pretty much what you think . . . the place where the focus is the best, i.e. the place on the lenses that is exactly what your prescription is supposed to be. Ideally that is directly in front of your eyes, which seems obvious, but apparently there is some trouble translating that measurement (usually the distance between your pupils) to the lenses of an insert instead of conventional glasses.

I don't know about the head tilted down thing . . . if I shot that way, I might consider getting glasses like the trap/skeet/clays shooters wear that angle the lenses themselves so that they are vertical when your head is mounted on the gun properly, and thus perpendicular to your line of sight. If you've seen Kim Rhode shoot (she's a ladies double trap shooter from the USA, Gold in 1996 and silver in 2000), you will notice her glasses are angled "up" from her cheekbones when she is standing relaxed, but when she mounts her gun, they're "vertical."

I'm not sure how that helps (probably confuses!), but it's late and I'm rambling as usual about things I know nothing about . . . :rolleyes:

I generally put the Rudy's on as I get in the truck and head to the range (30 minute drive). By the time I get there my eyes are adjusted and I am ready to rock and roll. If I forget and change as I am gearing up I find that the first stage or so is kinda blurry.

I got the yellow lenses too and really like them when it is a heavily overcast day. Really makes the contrast come up and the white no shoots kinda glow. The Racing Red get the most use unless the sun is real bright and then it is Smoke Gray time. For variable conditions, the racing red rules for me at least.

I think the biggest thing to do when ordering Rx inserts is to talk to your doc. Show him how you shoot with them and let him help you make the right decision. Also, don't be afraid to go back to the doc if things don't seem right. You are paying big bucks for probably the most important piece of safety gear you have...make sure they are right.

Don't be suprised if the optical lab your doctor uses gets the centers wrong. . . happens a lot. An interesting thing I noticed was I tend to tilt my head down slightly when I shoot which means I'm looking over the top of my glasses more. It doesn't matter that much to me because my prescription is very mild, but sometimes, it helps to put the centers a little high.

I have the luxury of having a sister who's an optometrist, and a friend who owns an optical lab so i get "experimental" glasses made just for kicks. I hear Trivex is optically superior to polycarbonate and is impact rated. It's a little harder to tint, but I'm going to try some next.

Rudy's build quality is superior to most anything else out there and MUCH better than Oakley. I wish they made a small size frame for small-headed folks like me. I'm stuck with Oakley's Minute frames. . . which break about 1/2 the time by the way if you try to put RX lenses into them :)

I also tried using "biker" goggles by Bobster from www.razorlimit.com they were like $10.00 and I put some prescription polycarb lenses in them. Build quality is terrible, but they work like champs :) I use them when using the skill saw because they're goggles and seal all the way around my eyes.

Cheers. ..

-'Chung

I have the luxury of having a sister who's an optometrist, and a friend who owns an optical lab so i get "experimental" glasses made just for kicks.  I hear Trivex is optically superior to polycarbonate and is impact rated.  It's a little harder to tint, but I'm going to try some next.

Is Trivex also opaque to UV light? How well does it resist scratching? Polycarbonates are great for lenses, except for the fact that it's so damn easy to scratch them.

Rudy's build quality is superior to most anything else out there and MUCH better than Oakley.  I wish they made a small size frame for small-headed folks like me.  I'm stuck with Oakley's Minute frames. . . which break about 1/2 the time by the way if you try to put RX lenses into them :)

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum . . . my head is enormous. Size 8-1/4 most of the time. Fortunately my body is huge, so it looks "normal." But if I were skinny, I'd look like a big melon balanced on a popsicle stick.

I was pleasantly surprised when the RB3s fit me (pretty much). I'd prefer to have them bigger, but they do okay.