Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quad Load: unloaded start

BTW, I'm not sure you can REALLY DQ someone for pulling the trigger to load their gun. I know there have been a few times where I picked up a gun, forgot the chamber was empty, aimed at a target and pressed the trigger. Click or shuck follows. Oops .... was I being forgetful or was I loading a gun? In some cases that is obvious, in others I'm not sure.

Why would anyone get DQ'd for pulling the trigger purposely as long as the gun is pointed in a safe direction no matter if it on an empty chamber of if you're burning a round?

Well earlier in the thread some folks alluded to the USPSA finger on the trigger when reloading/loading. My point is that in this case how would you even tell the difference between pulling the trigger to fire on a "duh" empty chamber, or pulling the trigger to load one on the carrier. I'm fully on the "you can DQ for this" camp.

BTW, I'm not sure you can REALLY DQ someone for pulling the trigger to load their gun. I know there have been a few times where I picked up a gun, forgot the chamber was empty, aimed at a target and pressed the trigger. Click or shuck follows. Oops .... was I being forgetful or was I loading a gun? In some cases that is obvious, in others I'm not sure.

Why would anyone get DQ'd for pulling the trigger purposely as long as the gun is pointed in a safe direction no matter if it on an empty chamber of if you're burning a round?

Well earlier in the thread some folks alluded to the USPSA finger on the trigger when reloading/loading. My point is that in this case how would you even tell the difference between pulling the trigger to fire on a "duh" empty chamber, or pulling the trigger to load one on the carrier. I'm fully on the "you can DQ for this" camp.

It's pretty obviously intentional when loading this way.

The bigger issue is that not all ROs are gun-savvy, and some might not understand the mechanism. If you get a combo of a Napoleon RO with the rule book memorized, and zero understanding of the Benelli mechanism, then "by the fine print" your finger is on the trigger while loading the firearm. That is the point they are making I think

Tempest in a teapot. The gun is already "Loaded" as long as it is pointed downrange in the general direction of a target array and shouldered who is to say the shooter was not just trying to engage with an empty chamber? Also I can't remember the last USPSA rules match I shot, quoting USPSA rules when the vast majority of matches don't use them is a waste of effort. If an RO tried to DQ someone for this any half decent RM would overrule him. It is not a new procedure, people have been doing it intentionally and unintentionally for as long as there have ben Benneli's.

I watched the videos, explain the Benelli button to me or hit me with a link. Benellis run so well that I'm leery of messing with anything to gain .5 seconds over a 12 stage match.

I think what open class terror is referring to is the little silver shell release button has been extended, so side of your hand activates the release as you are racking the bolt handle.

A good picture would clear this up.

Here is a pic of what we actually modify- Nothing internal is changed. The latch is still easily removable when trigger group is out of the gun. BTW, we don't have any protection on this, so if you are handy with a TIG welder, feel free to duplicate :)

post-48876-0-18256200-1422823296_thumb.j

Edited by openclassterror

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Tom, I'm pretty sure I was joking about the "protection" thing. You may or may not know this but I'm kinda up on Benellis and I'm fairly aware of how wide the slot is for the cartridge drop lever. Matter of fact if you ceracoat that little part to make it black like one guy did. It caused way too much too drag on the lever and caused lots of malfunctions. Now THAT was a real game changer, and like all good ideas he found out at a match that it wouldn't work. Do you know how hard it is to remove ceracoat with a dull pocket knife? Well I watched him do it and it didn't look easy :lol:

Edited by kurtm

I can't address your shotgun specifically, but I can give you what I would do in this situation with my M2. If the option is available to start the stage with the bolt locked back, you could:

1. Grab a stack of 2

2. Drop 1 into the chamber and release the bolt

3. Load 2nd shell into the magazine

4. Quad-load the rest until you reach magazine capacity

This way, when you're done, the gun is up and ready to rock as soon as you're done loading.

A good drill to practice!

• 1 month later...