Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting a .357 machined for moons

Patrick Sweeney

Sort of on topic, how well does 38 spec/.357 work with moons? Especially if you're not competing seriously.

I've read a lot about the short iterations of the .38 case which makes me wonder about the viability of the normal case with moons. While I might only desire to compete at informal matches, I don't want to hate it and wish I had gone 45acp.

I've never used magnums, but I use full length special cases. They are a little slower than the 45, but most the most noticeable thing is the consistency of the reloads. A bad reload on the 625 isn't as big a time penalty as one on the 627. The long cases can get tied up pretty good on a poor reload.

The extra half second it takes me to reload the 627 isn't a big deal. You tend to be moving during the reload, and I can load faster than I move. When I shoot the 625, I notice how consistent my reloads are during the match. I rarely ever screw one up with the 45.

My 2 Cents.

TK CUSTOM all the way.

Tom has done 2 of my guns, a 681-c-1 and a PC 38/357, both guns work 100% and I love the way the clips work.

I shoot mostly Action Pistol, the only issue is a speed load, if the clip is a little loose at the base of the brass, so I use speed loaders when needed.

Russell

Shoot lots and have fun.