Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why?

bellyrubber

I think I have the same disease.

Has something to do with thinking I have all these rounds now that I no longer have to be conservative. I just don't value each single round as much as I need to.

Are you talking about field stages or classifiers (or both)?

Which parts are slow? splits? transitions? everything?

How long have you been shooting limited compared to production?

I've only been shooting a couple years, and I'm not that good yet, but I find whenever I switch divisions I am slower for a few weeks until the gun handling and rhythm of the gun become ingrained. Until that point, I have to spend more time adjusting my aim, and thinking about what I'm doing (trigger pull, reloads, etc...).

Both stgs and classifiers. I've been shooting steel and uspsa for 3yrs. Local steel I'm B class in each. Uspsa I'm B prod/C ltd. My local Times are 90's in prod. and 100's ltd. My uspsa classifiers in ltd. keep me in low C. I started out Ltd. Went to prod for over a year. Been back in Ltd for 4-5 months now.

Edited by bellyrubber

My local Times are 90's in prod. and 100's ltd.

Is that steel match times?

I'm going to assume your production gun is 9mm, and probably lighter than your limited gun, so weight and PF may be keeping your production gun ahead of your limited gun in steel matches.

Classifiers are a funny thing. Hard to know why a person is classed differently in separate divisions without seeing them shoot. In USPSA the two divisions are shot at very different paces, making full use of the extra points in limited.

Both stgs and classifiers. I've been shooting steel and uspsa for 3yrs. Local steel I'm B class in each. Uspsa I'm B prod/C ltd. My local Times are 90's in prod. and 100's ltd. My uspsa classifiers in ltd. keep me in low C. I started out Ltd. Went to prod for over a year. Been back in Ltd for 4-5 months now.

Hmmm. do you know if it's transitions or splits or both where you're slower?

Regardless, I have found the best way for me to increase my speed is to do exercises specifically targeting speed. Like for a bill drill or el prez, i'll move the targets in a couple yards closer, and do a few runs as fast as I can, just trying to get the shots on paper. then I'll do a few trying to go the same speed but get the shots at least into the c-zone. Then I'll do a few trying for normal match accuracy (A's and close C's). That really gives me a kick in the butt when I am taking longer than I need.

yea MWP, those are my weekly tues. night steel times. I use the same gun for both. A 9mm xdm 5.25. Same gun,same ammo,same p.f. motosapiens, being 62 and 230lbs.my transitions aren't as fast as the young whippersnappers but if everything is the same why are the times different? i shoot 8-9 matches a month and practice every friday. it's not like i'm a once in awhile kind of shooter. i've asked the masters and they give me tips and pointers. i think its more mental than ability. But i can't see why when everything is the same and i've been shooting competition 3yrs. any thoughts you may have, i'm open to. thx,

Well using the same gun explains why the classifications are separate. At anything other than 100% classifiers, shooting minor power factor in limited will hurt your classifier percentages.

The stage times in limited vs production are separated by power factor advantage, and less time spent reloading. You can shoot faster in limited and accept more C's if you're making major, and you have more options in stage planning with more capacity. Since you aren't shooting major, your points aren't changing between divisions. All that leaves is reloads, and if you aren't regularly shooting while moving or taking harder shots with the higher capacity, there really isn't much difference between the two divisions.

If you're using the same gun, and equipment in steel challenge and your times are different, that's all you.

Edited by MWP

• 3 weeks later...

Is it that your actual stage times are faster in production or just a better hit factor? I have shot a match with my limited gun and the ran it again in production and beat my limited score but it was the actual hit factors for each stage were better because I was shooting production to get as many points as possible. My limited times were slightly faster but the scores just were not as high.

• 2 weeks later...