Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing my Dillon seating die

JLeeCZ

After a search, I find as many negative reviews for the Redding Comp Seating Die as I find positive. Was getting ready to order the Redding Pro Series Die but wanted to get one more opinion. I've pretty much narrowed down my 9mm bullets to 2. I have to seat long for my 2011 and short for my CZ and that's just with one of the two bullets. Still working on OALs for the other. It's getting to be a hassle duplicating when I switch back and forth between gun loads. Any other die to consider with easy adjustment before I get the Redding Pro? I like the Dillon Die ok. Just want a simpler adjustment with a better consistency.

This is exactly the reason I went with the Redding Pro series seater. Easy adjustment with the fine thread knob. I hated loosening the Dillon die and trying to guess how much to turn those big threads. The Pro series is only about $30 at midwayusa. I tried the expensive micrometer die and found it to be not as good as my standard seating die at maintaining oal. Plus, I really think it's overkill for what we load for. I love the pro series seater in 9mm! :cheers:

Sarge is correct. I switched to the Redding seating die and had nothing but great results. Took all the trial and error out of adjusting seating depth. After more than 3000 rounds still holding the correct size without any adjustments.

It's not exactly a guess with standard dies, which are 1/2"-20 on the rod. So 20 threads per inch is .050" per full turn, or just at .006" per 1/8 of a turn. All the die stations have to full for a correct adjustment. Of course the easiest way is to have additional tool heads....

Edited by 9x45

You guys will be pleased with the Redding comp seating dies. Now I have to get me one for 45 ACP :blush:

I didn't like the competition version. Cost too much and didn't help my oal inconsistencies at all. The $30 pro series is what I use and recommend!

Tried out the seating die today with some Bayou 135's and I don't think I'm doing something right so I stopped using it and came in to post here. Check out the ring that's making an impression on the bullet. It's hard to see on the photo but there's clearly a ring. Any tips for setting it up and adjusting it would be appreciated.

post-50397-0-65079900-1421625063_thumb.j

post-50397-0-13675300-1421625071_thumb.j

Tried out the seating die today with some Bayou 135's and I don't think I'm doing something right so I stopped using it and came in to post here. Check out the ring that's making an impression on the bullet. It's hard to see on the photo but there's clearly a ring. Any tips for setting it up and adjusting it would be appreciated.

Mine does it too but on extremes. Doesn't hurt a thing.