Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

will it fit in the box?

ErikW

Erik,

I have that very same setup, and it fits the box. It's a tight fit, and sometimes you have to gently press down the adjustable rear sight.

Anyway, you can have a look at my setup in this thread,

or a preview right here:

3-1-4.jpg

Yes, I know, horrible pictures, I'll shoot some better ones asap.

If you have any question about it, just ask or PM me.

The STI is the biggest box friendly mag well I know.

It perfectly fit the box on all my pistols, as Luca stated, sometimes you need to push a little on the rear sight to make it fall into the box.

Beware if you got fixed sights : When I shot the STI Tactical with MMC rear sight I had to push hard to make it fit in the box and I had to disassamble the box the take my pistol back.

Hey, they say it must fit in the box, it did !

:D

After this, I trimmed a bit the sight.

Luca: I'm interested with your file, can you send it to me please ?

One thing to consider is how you seat the mags. Shooting Limited, I'd guess that you're a front seater (i.e. you seat off the front of the mag) as most of us are. If you have an unmodified STI magwell and box-compliant mags, you're gonna have to seat off the rear of the mag. I've seen several people that cut off the front of the magwell so that they can continue to be front seaters (Voigt is one such person)... I originally thought it was more to help with box compliance, but it's for the reloads.

Cullen,

I never thought about it until you mentioned it.

I'm trying to visualize my reloads, and I can say that I (probably) push the front of the mag to seat it too.

I never had a problem in seating my mags with international box-compliant basepads through the STI magwell.

Hey Luca, just curious, but is the reason why your mags aren't reloadable to 18 because it's a bit too stiff? I mean, is it REALLY hard to seat them with 18 or just kinda hard?

Try a little experiment: take off your magwell and practice reloads for a while (just so you can hit them without the magwell). Then try it with a full mag and see if the greater surface area up front allows you to seat it more easily.

I know for me that at LAMR getting a full 20-rounder in the gun takes a bit of effort, but reloading to one never is a problem (adrenaline, whatever). If you can get more meat of your hand onto the mag, it might be possible to get those 18-rounders in there. FWIW. ;)

Cullen,

I'll try.

The mag is medium-hard to seat when full, but I suspect that the extra force ( :D ) I need to seat it is due mainly to the fact that there is very little play (downwards) for the rounds when the mag is full and the spring already totally compressed.

I mean, in training I am able most of the time to seat a full 18-rounder, but it requires me a conscious effort that I am not willing to perform in matches, thus I download them to 17 rounds.

Dunno about the greater surface area: it looks like I already use all the available, since the front of the base pad still protrudes some 3-4 mm from the bottom of the magwell.

Anyway, I'll try. Thanks for the tip.

It's worth a shot, anyway. I know my hand squishes more than 4mm when I slam home a mag.

I tend to keep the mags at 20 for field courses, but will download 'em (just in case I FUBAR a reload) depending on stage design. They always get downloaded for classifiers.

It's a tight fit, and sometimes you have to gently press down the adjustable rear sight.

Not a problem for me and my Heinie fixed sight!

Thanks for the help, Luca. I'll be using the same magazines as you, SV tubes and Dawson pads.

300#G, I don't think I'm a front seater. But I've never reloaded a box-legal mag so that could change. :)

300#G, I don't think I'm a front seater.

I'd bet you are. If you grab the mag (140s) with your index finger anywhere near the bullet tip, you end up seating the mag with the forward portion of the basepad towards the bottom of your palm... unless you're Shaq.

Hey Luca can you email me the mag facts im interested. I already have one but im still open to new suggestions.

Jason,

PM or email me and I'll send you the files.

If the brazilian mags will be available (at a reasonable price) I'd be willing to give'em a try too.