Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock Project

eric nielsen

Here's an idea I'm mulling over - your thoughts are all welcome.

-- My G35 bottom end with Vanek trigger, heavy mag well, etc

Add to that

-- A Glock or Caspian G22 slide, Docter or JPoint sight

-- A Federal arms extended & threaded bbl in 357 Sig, actual price $79

Glock Doc

-- Once-fired 357 Sig brass from Brassmanbrass, Speer $25/thousand

Brassmanbrass

-- A titanium comp from Brian Hawley

-- My 140mm mags @ 20 rounds, plus one w/Taylor Freelance pad @ 23/24 rds

-- 125gr JHPs, AA9 or AA7 or N350 powder [10grains+]

If I don't like it I could buy another $79 bbl in 40cal and open up the comp. I don't really care about the capacity - I've shot many many courses of fire and 1 or 2 additional running reloads per 6 or 8 stages is not going to bother me. I just like the Glock and I like Open class. I like this idea better than KKM barrel/comp in 9x19Major at $355, throwing the tiny comp in a drawer, and still buying a comp.

Flex? Mad Scientist? Leo?

Thanks

With the extra cash you're spending on .357SIG brass vs. 9mm Luger, you'll use up any savings on the barrel and comp pretty quick.

Very good point. I just picked up 8000 9mm cases locally for $50. Mostly winchester off of a sherrif's range. Shooting major you won't want to use those cases as much. Plus you'll get more capacity in the gun.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I don't think much of Federal barrels. I had one and the corners of the ramp were collapsing, so I chucked it (I bought it used for $25 when it was "like new"). But maybe I just got a bad one.

I'm not sure how bottleneck pistol brass is to reload. It sounds like a pain, but who knows.

Those are all good points.

My thought is that [for now] the 9x19 Major is still iffy. Went to a match yesterday [legs are still very sore] and ppl kept saying "learning curve" in regard to Major9.

I've owned 2 unreliable match guns, both in the distant past. Also owned 2 unreliable cars, both in the distant past. I don't wanna step back in either catagory.

I might still buy a used STI. I just like Glock a lot better. I can extend both arms to shoot and Vanek's trigger is like Slapper's Paradise.

Eric,

Don't let anyone discourage you - go for it.

The major 9 thing is pretty solid now in S_I's. The challenge with major 9 out of a Glock, IMO, is the limited OAL of the rounds because of mag dimensions.

However, Mad Scientist and others are doing it. I had a chance to fire Mad Scientist's Open Glock 9 the other week and it was GREAT! Every bit as flat as my STI major 9. Very sweet gun.

Major 9x19 loaded short is no real problem in a Glock. The .357 SIG route just sounds like a little more hassle. 1.145” OAL with something like HS6 under a 124gr in 9x19 is a very good thing. The loading data with 124’s in 9 is well tested and just as safe as .38 super with 115’s is.

Go for it, 9x19, or .357 SIG

--

Regards,

Okay thanks again. Now the work is to find a Caspian slide and try to get a hold of John Nagel aka Mad Scientist. He's hard to find right now.

I may go ahead and try a JPoint on top of my 40 slide - I still have the stock rear sight which pushes right out. JP includes one free mount with the sale of a JPoint. It sits higher that way but it will give me an idea of whether I like it. If not, I sell it to an AR rifle shooter.

The new KKM 3-port bbl and comp gets great reviews - I just think it looks ugly. What about getting the older KKM extended bbl & have BrianH put on a comp? I realize I'm talking about style points and Glock in the same sentence but there it is...

Caspion28,

I have been away from the computer for some time . I read your p-m and one is on the way .

Problem is right now caspion slides are realy hard to come by I sugest every one call Gary at caspion and bug him with a pasion. If they dont hear from us alot they will not make any more. this is a sad state as I had finaly figured out how to make them run and then they were no more.

Johnnie

I have an Open Glock 17 that I shot most of last year. It was running really great until Primer flow from my 124 grain load cracked the breach face. I was using Winchester small pistol primers at the time and I didn’t notice any problems with that until the crack developed and I started getting misfires from the breach face flexing.

At almost the same time I changed from a C-more slide ride (worked great) to a Carver mount which added ejection problems.

I have not had the time yet to get my gun running 100% on Rifle Primers and to get it ejecting.

My thoughts on a Major Glock are:

1. You need a Brass magwell and tungsten guide rod. A Stock Glock is just to light for Major 9

2. Buy the KKM and Comp.

3. Taylor Freelance 170mm extensions (I get 28 rounds in them) B)

4. Vanek Trigger Job

Thanks Alma & welcome to the Forums!

I've got the Caspian G17 slide on the way [got lucky] which I had to search out.

I've had the Vanek trigger for about 2 years and really love it.

I've got a steel guide rod and brass magwell [this is all on a 'free' G35]

Planning on using a Docter instead of a C-More and mount. I'm also concerned about ejection of the spent brass. Have to get myself a 9mm ejector housing.

I spoke with John Nagel and I may still try his set-up. That would be my 2nd Open Glock. Met yet another person today who's shot Johnny's gun & loved it. Met about 3 dozen ppl who asked me Are You Shooting Again and now the answer is Yes.

...edit...

I would have posted it in the classifieds but I haven't been part of the forum long enough.

You can't put your for sale stuff on here either. Sorry.

Administartor.

Edited by Flexmoney