Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you using for your 2011 Edge?

Sporky

I ordered a new CRP Edge and now I need to work up a load for it.

I did a search but it was a mess sorting through all the other pistols people were using

I have some Titegroup and some e3 powder that I can use, but I don't have any bullets as of yet. I have used blue bullets and Extreme as well. I like that the plated doesn't flake and make a mess while reloading like the blues did. Looks like I was pinching a Smurf after I was done with a reloading session.

So I don't even know what bullet profile to use? Do people use Flat point, round nose, hollow point?

HELP a Fella out!

I load my 40 long. I don't remember the exact length, as I would have to re-measure. I was told loading long in the STI makes it more reliable. Also, I have shot mainly 180 gr MG or 180 gr Zero FMJ both RN. Some people swear by the hollow points. I would say try both and see which one your gun likes.

As far as powder.....I will have to go back to the drawing board on that one. I won 8lbs of Universal Clays and I have just been using that until it is gone. That might be awhile since I had a 2011 built in 9mm (different load, different powder) and have been shooting 3-gun lately (although, not as often as I would like).

3.7 gr. E-3 200gr. Blue Bullets RNFP OAL 1.205-1.210 crimp .420, PF 170......Pull the barrel and do the 'plunk' test, before you load too many rounds. Every barrel, even from the same manufacturer is different. (brazos crp Edge). Chrono after you break in the gun (500-1000 rounds) .....

That is exactly what I was needing!

Thanks so much!!!!

I use a XL650 and with the e3 I wasn't getting the best metering on my Dillion when loading for 9mm. I know the 40 is considered a high pressure round, so I think I will start my experiments with the Titegrop instead. I am hoping that the larger amount of power will meter better.

Now It looks like I have to decide if I want to use the 200 or the 180gr bullets......but the consensus seems to be the round nose flat point on the shape.

And It looks like I should be more concerned with the crimp than I was with my 9mm as well. I was told that the crimp on the 9mm should "look" a certain way. The "look" was supposed to be as close to flat from the rim to the case mouth as possible with out going crazy about it. But from what I have seen so far, the crimp on the 40 needs to be much more precise... Is that really the case?

I am running a moded Eagle set up basically like an Edge with a bushing barrel and I run 180grn Hornady HAP bullets with 4.5grns of Titegroup at 1.145" for about 173PF.

For the crimp I just set my die up to take the bell out and be below .423" and it seems to work very well. Nothing special.

Ran 180gr Montana Gold Hollow points for a couple years. They've gotten pretty expensive (or I've gotten cheap) and I'm trying out 180gr Berry's flat points right now.

5.0gr of VVN320, OAL 1.200" made 170pf for me with the MGs. need to chrono some loads if/when the weather cooperates with the Berrys.

Thanks for the info guys!

I am still waiting on my dillion dies to show up so no experimenting for me just yet.

And where is my pretty new gun!?!?!?!? I hate waiting!!! especially for something i have been waiting on for so long!!!! I am worse than my 15 month old kid!

Do you own or ever use non-2011 40 cal guns? If so, you might want to figure out the longest length that will fee in the non-2011 guns and see if that works in your 2011. I have several 40 cals and try to not have ammon specific to just one gun if I can help it. So far the X-Treme RNFP loaded to factory length (~1.12") seem to work just fine, however molly coated tunicated cone lead bullets need to go out to ~1.15"-1.16" which still works in my M&P. COL at 1.18" wont fit M&P mags.

Do you own or ever use non-2011 40 cal guns? If so, you might want to figure out the longest length that will fee in the non-2011 guns and see if that works in your 2011. I have several 40 cals and try to not have ammon specific to just one gun if I can help it. So far the X-Treme RNFP loaded to factory length (~1.12") seem to work just fine, however molly coated tunicated cone lead bullets need to go out to ~1.15"-1.16" which still works in my M&P. COL at 1.18" wont fit M&P mags.

Nope this will be my first 40 cal. I am thinking that I might switch to all 40 so I don't have to change over the press so much. And that way I have an excuse to buy new guns!!

I have another question....i read somewhere that people use small RIFLE primers and not small PISTOL primers.

What to you guys think of that?

I've done it and know others that have as well when SPP's were not available. No real need to do it, gamer loads using proper powders are not that high of a pressure load.