Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 34 open gun

jnsnchzaz

I just started building an open gun with a glock 34. I just installed a kkm 9mm barrel with a carver 4 port comp. I am using 15gr Rn extreme bullets with 700x powder. I am having problems with double feeds. I am running an 11lb spring.

Any suggestions?

jnsnchz

That explains it, adding the comp adds weight to the barrel and holds the slide locked for longer after the bullet exits the barrel, once the slide unlocks there isn't enough energy left to cycle the slide. You either need a lighter recoil spring or hotter ammo.

If I were you I would get some more appropriate powder before proceeding, some Autocomp, CFE Pistol, Silhouette or HS6 will do the trick for you.

That explains it, adding the comp adds weight to the barrel and holds the slide locked for longer after the bullet exits the barrel, once the slide unlocks there isn't enough energy left to cycle the slide. You either need a lighter recoil spring or hotter ammo.

If I were you I would get some more appropriate powder before proceeding, some Autocomp, CFE Pistol, Silhouette or HS6 will do the trick for you.

Thanks for the input. :)

• 1 month later...

Ok this may sound strange... During the heavy recoil one of the rounds maybe getting released from the mag, or getting far enough forward and into the chamber to allow for the round beneath it to be picked up.

Try to load with the longest oal your mag will allow see if that helps. If not find out if always happens with just this or that mag. Once you feel comfortable these are your problem, grab a hammer and go to town. After buy replacements from Glock. It could the mag lips were too wide.

11# spring by whom Wolf of SJC? In my experience it matters.

I run a 10# Wolf uncaptured in one open G-17 with KKM drop in barrel and Carver 3 port to shoot store bought low power ammo.

My other G-17 with KKM barrel and Jäger comp runs a captured IMSI 11# spring both major and minor. The Jäger comped gun shoots flatter both with store bought and with my high power loads. I am going to check function with a 13# spring for major in it also.

That explains it, adding the comp adds weight to the barrel and holds the slide locked for long after the bullet exits the barrel, once the slide unlocks there isn't enough energy left to cycle the slide. You either need a lighter recoil spring or hotter ammo.

Longshot is a good powder for major as well. With the 5.85 inch barrel you are using about 7 grains behind a 124 grain bullet should make for a soft shooting and accurate load.

Fwiw,

I use 8.2 grains of longshot behind a 115 jhp and winchester primer. ... It is very loud ... That is my 9mm major load. Only to be used for an open 9mm major pistol.

My oal is long compare to what it would fit into a glock mag. So start with 7.8 and go up to 8.2 watching for over pressure signs...am chrono helps too

Edited by crotchThrower