Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about switching from Glock to M&P.

Robert King

I am thinking about switching from a Glock to an M&P to shoot production and use as a OWB carry gun. I have always stuck with the Glock platform because of the versatility through so much aftermarket support. I have some questions for you M&P gurus.

1. I'd definitely want a conversion barrel to go from 40 to 9. Is it as simple with the M&P as it is with the Glock? Drop in a conversion barrel and get some 9mm mags? Does anyone other than Storm Lake make a drop in conversion?

2. Does anyone have a 22lr kit for the M&P?

3. Is Apex the only player for trigger upgrades for the M&P? I'd want something that would improve the weight, take up, over travel and smoothness. But, it would still need to be reliable enough for an occasional carry gun.

4. Is it as easy to work on installing parts as a Glock is?

I am most interested in a Pro series in 40 if that makes a difference. I'd also probably be getting a model with the thumb safety. I will likely have the slide milled and for a reflex sight. I put one on a G26 and really like it for carry.

I realize some of these options might put me in limited or open and I'm okay with that. I would pull the dot sight if I wanted to stay out of open. It would not be my only option for matches, just something fun to shoot with and carry when I needed it.

You want an M&P Pro Core. This would be cheaper than getting your slide milled. There are lots of gunsmiths that can use your existing parts to give you a better trigger if you chose to not go with an Apex Dcaek kit for carry.

My personal opinion is that Glocks are easier to work on.

I know of no 22LR kits for the M&Ps but they make the terrific M&P 22lr pistol.

I've never used a drop in barrel in the three M&Ps I own but I'm sure someone else will chime in with that info.

Edited by JMike

I use a factory 5 inch on my 40 pro. Got maybe 15,000 rounds and works for me. I have no idea if this is a wise thing to do so YMMV.

I like the gunsmith version a little bit better than the Apex. But then I can not stand those trigger teats. That's what sent me to M&P's in the first place.

I can't improve on the answers you've already gotten. I can't say Apex is the only provider, but they're the respected name that comes immediately to mind for M&P triggers. Another name to know and use is http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/. With maybe only one exception, I think all of my M&P parts came from SSS.

I suppose someone will point out that this belongs in the classifieds, but if you're interested I'll make you a smoking deal on a M&P Pro Core 4.25" set up for Limited. I put it together about this time last year and shot it all season as my 40 Major Limited/Limited-10 gun. Then late last season I got the bug to get a custom 2011 built. I've been dithering over whether to peddle it off or keep it as a backup gun for the last several months. If the 2 would shoot the same ammo I'd absolutely keep it. But since they won't I think I'll get an STI as a backup. Anyway, the only reason I bring it up is because you mention maybe dual use as carry where 4.25" might be more desirable.

Just an idea....back to your normally scheduled programming :devil:

I am thinking about switching from a Glock to an M&P to shoot production and use as a OWB carry gun. I have always stuck with the Glock platform because of the versatility through so much aftermarket support. I have some questions for you M&P gurus.

1. I'd definitely want a conversion barrel to go from 40 to 9. Is it as simple with the M&P as it is with the Glock? Drop in a conversion barrel and get some 9mm mags? Does anyone other than Storm Lake make a drop in conversion?

3. Is Apex the only player for trigger upgrades for the M&P? I'd want something that would improve the weight, take up, over travel and smoothness. But, it would still need to be reliable enough for an occasional carry gun.

I am most interested in a Pro series in 40 if that makes a difference. I'd also probably be getting a model with the thumb safety. I will likely have the slide milled and for a reflex sight. I put one on a G26 and really like it for carry.

I realize some of these options might put me in limited or open and I'm okay with that. I would pull the dot sight if I wanted to stay out of open. It would not be my only option for matches, just something fun to shoot with and carry when I needed it.

I have both a Glock and M&P pistols. Personally, I'm torn with the thought of consolidating to one platform myself. I have actually been to match where I grabbed the wrong gear for the platform I chose to shoot, I have so many accessories for each, fortunately those two platforms are popular enough that I had friends with extra equipment. I sure would be nice to only worry about one tupperware platform. I really like both, each has there advantages and disadvantages.

For your questions:

1. aftermarket barrels for M&P are going to be more expensive, nearly 1.5-2x that of Glock, be prepared. Unfortunately I have never investigated buying a conversion barrel for any gun I own, I use that as an excuse to buy a new gun in another caliber.

2. can't help you there, I don't think I have seen any "kits", but they do have a M&P22lr pistol, that I hear is great.

3. I have an Apex kit in every one of my M&Ps, The are all the DCAEK (i think that the terminology). Duty Carry being the DC part, I think. Excellent triggers. I don't recommend using an Apex competition trigger kit in any carry pistol, it is a very light trigger pull.

4. No, not at all. I can change any part out on a Glock within minutes at a Safe Area with only a Glock Tool and maybe a small set of needle nose pliers. With an M&P you may have to remove the rear sight to work on the slide components, and they use roll pins in the frame. So you would need a small hammer and roll pin punches.

As far as a Thumb Safety version, I'm not sure they make a 5" Pro with a Thumb Safety. Now days there are so many versions of the M&P, I can't keep up with them all. Also, be aware the Thumb Safety does reduce your options for trigger components.

You can't shoot in production with a conversion barrel.

You can't shoot in production with a conversion barrel.

Understood, but I do not care. If I end up in limited it does not make a difference to me. It's about the shooting, not the game for me right now.

Thanks for all the feedback. One question still outstanding is the 9mm conversion barrel.

Storm Lake and KKM make conversion barrels, the stock 9mm barrel will also work in a .40 slide with a .40 mag. The problem is finding them, S&W doesn't want to sell them to the publc.

I got a M&P Pro 9mm two months ago. After shooting the Pro, I went all M&P. I sold my XDM 5.25 and Glock 17, and got another 9mm Pro and a 9mm Shield. I will keep one stock. the other I will set up for Limited "minor". The M&P's just fit my hand better than the others.

The apex should be the best trigger.

After market barrels work the same a Glocks.

The M&P 22 (22LR) is a great gun, and cost the same as most conversions kit. and work much better. it is a true trainer guns.

The Pro Core is the way to go for RMR.

No Safety for Pro's

Mark