Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 vs 124 for 38 super major

Open1215

What bullet do you use and why?

I am newer to reloading for competition. I shoot 124g Xtreme plated at the moment. I used 124 lead before this and wasn't a big fan. So before i buy a bunch to try I would like to know what works for most. I know 124 or 115 montana gold is a big seller. Plated being a close second. I would like some advice form the collective knowledge of many people who have been down this road. I'm sure it will vary from personal taste and what gun and powder. Thank you in advance for the help. This will be shot out of a Tanfoglio with a V-6 ports and comp. 4.75in barrel plus comp.

I use 124 gr FMJ Delta Precision and have never used anything else. It was recommended by a few shooters that I admire and respect. Cost is about the same as everyone else and the prices they advertise includes shipping like most other manufacturers. They do offer a volume discount.

I use only MG because they're readily available, a decent price, work

well and are full coated with copper (no leading in my comp).

I started with 115's, went to 124's because the case is too filled with

powder or the 115's (takes more powder to make major with a lighter

bullet.

BUT, the 115's do shoot flatter - if you don't mind cases filled with

powder, you're better off with the lighter bullet, IMHO. :cheers:

Not 38 but 9MAJOR. I used 121's for the first two years or so then kept hearing so much about 115's and tried them. Like Jack said, much flatter. Swapped all my 121's out for 115's. I use Montana Golds as well. Since I use WAC my cases are only 3/4 full. :cheers:

That's what I was thinking. Anyone useing played over jackets? I really liked the plated over lead. My shots got much quicker and tighter. I haven't tried jackets yet. I just can't see spending for 500 what I could get 1000 shipped and have a bit left over to try jackets if I don't like them. I guess if I did get 500 jhp from montana and didn't like them after shooting 100 I could sell or trade the rest here pretty quickly. Perhaps I'm not seeing how a copper jacket is so superior to plated. Is one a bit softer so it's easier on the barrel? Or expands into the lands and grooves more so for stability out the barrel?

That's what I was thinking. Anyone useing played over jackets? I really liked the plated over lead. My shots got much quicker and tighter. I haven't tried jackets yet. I just can't see spending for 500 what I could get 1000 shipped and have a bit left over to try jackets if I don't like them. I guess if I did get 500 jhp from montana and didn't like them after shooting 100 I could sell or trade the rest here pretty quickly. Perhaps I'm not seeing how a copper jacket is so superior to plated. Is one a bit softer so it's easier on the barrel? Or expands into the lands and grooves more so for stability out the barrel?

Not all plated bullets are created equal. Hence, they won't stand up to Open velocities. Xtremes have heavy plated bullets that claim to be able to run 1500 fps. If you can afford it Montana Gold is the way to go. Jacketed bullets are my first choice in Open.

I used 115s because gas is the name of the game in Open and more powder makes more gas right?

I find it interesting how many 38 shooters dont use the extra capacity, if your load is ~9gr of say 3n38 under a 124 and my 9 load is ~9gr of the same powder under a lighter bullet, where's the advantage?

Sarge. The 124 thick plate from Xtreme can take 1500-1600 FPS I shot the 124s at that when I used my 6inch barrel for loads for a diff gun. The shots where all on target and didn't rip apart.

I Know. I have 1000 115's but I am trying to sell or trade them off as they are so darn short. Loaded out to 1.165 there is barely any bullet in the case. They shoot fine in limited testing but I just don't know about consistent neck tension on less than 1/8" of the bullet.

You gotta pay to play. Buy the Montana Gold 115jhp's and never look back.

While the Xtreme plated may be able to take the 1500-1600 fps, I just don't want to take the chance of one of them shedding that jacket and having something weird happen in the middle of a match...

Now, having said that, Precision Delta has some 115jhp's I want to try, and they are just a bit cheaper than MG's....and the last time I looked, Powder Valley had Zero 115 jhp's cheaper than MG's as well...

I use only MG because they're readily available, a decent price, work

well and are full coated with copper (no leading in my comp).

Montana Gold are brass jacketed, not coated with copper.

This has been discussed for years on here. They have more zinc in them than typical jackets. Some say all jacketed bullets are really brass and only plated bullets use pure copper. Others say they are copper jackets but the color changes due to zinc content.

Edited by Sarge