Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Empty Case Bin & Bracket for RL550B

If you have looked at a Dillon catalog recently you will notice that Dillon has added a Empty Case Bin & Bracket (C21-11185) to the accessory list for the RL-550B. Brian has now added this to his "As it should BE" upgrade kit for the 550B.

i_1335.jpg

So, what do you think?

Personally I love it except it is too narrow...especially when reloading rifle cartridges. Another 3/4" in width or so would make this a lot more hand friendly. Going to have to investigate the Akro Bin suppliers and see if there isn't one that is a bit wider.

Edited by Flexmoney

I like to reload sitting down, so the strong mount would raise the press too high for my use. If everything is at benchtop level, then you don't need to add brackets and bins to have components easily available.

I do install presses bit differenetly than most in that I mount the 550 to a 30 inch long piece of 1x12 wood (press attaches to middle of 11.5 inch wide end). I use 2-3 small c-clamps to hold the 1x12 down onto a desk, bench, or even the kitchen table. I normally don't leave a press setup year-round. Instead, I reload in batches and setup the press when needed. The board probably does some of the force-spreading that a strong-mount would do without adding height issues.

Built up something similar many years ago (don’t have a photo) that mounts the extra bin just under and just this side of the finished cartridge bin and at a right angle to the one pictured (in line with original bin). Cost me two screws and a strip of aluminum bar that fits the bin track. Because my press sits at the right end of the bench I can fasten it right there.

--

Regards,

Kevin,

I'm going to wait for the casefeeder like everyone else. There's no way I'm going to be able to make my bin for under $40 to 50 retail by the time all the bills get paid. Once you're into that kind of scratch, you might as well go whole hog and buy the casefeeder.

I was hoping that people would cobble together their own "super bins" out of plywood. I made several prototypes out of cardboard and hot glue. If you keep the height moderate and only put brass in, a cardboard bin may well give you several years of good service.

I tried the akrobin in front and I guess it's better than nothing, but it's just a crappy way to feed cases. Sending the cases down ramp in one to two layers is the heat because so many of them sit in the tray mouth up, which is a HUGE productivity boon. The amount of cases those little bins hold is a joke too. Once you figure in the time you spend reloading those tiny boxes with components (every 10 mins), you have saved no time at all. When I was going all out and loading several K/month on my 550, I had two super-bins, one for brass and the other full of bullets. I could easily hit 700+/hour because I wasn't stopping to reload components.

For those not in on the joke, here is my solution:

BrassBin.jpg

This puppy sits on my bench, just behind the loaded cartridge bin. I don't use a strong mount, which makes the design more practical to use. I'd be all too happy to send blueprints to Dillon for a token commission on the deal.

Hey Eric,

Does the bullet-bin look / work the same? People using all presses (SDB, 550, 650, 1050, etc) could benefit from something like that. I hate fishing for bullets in speedy-load mode. (I also wear gloves, which does'nt help)

You're looking at what was the bullet bin. I used a cardboard proto for the brass.

Somebody with some financing behind them needs to make the bins, so that they can build in volume and market it properly. Anything I try to do on my limited budget will be as half-assed as sending grip tape out in plain, manila envelopes.

This is the first time I have seen Eric's idea. Not bad at all for volume but a little tight on hand room. I can see what Eric means on loosing time reloading your tray or bin every 100 rounds or so.

I use the strong mount and a plastic dinner plate with sides like a shallow tray. Its as close as I could come to Dillon's shape on the bullet tray. Has plenty of hand room with low side height, which is very important to long term loading sessions. It only holds about 140-160 pieces of brass so I'm going to modify Eric's invention to improve the capacity of my tray. With my plate (tray) you can brush your hand sideways from time to time and keep a majority of the brass pieces upright.

The biggest drawback to the blue akro bin in the picture is that it is relatively narrow with deep sides which equates to cramped hand muscles IMO. As good as their bullet tray is, this new bin seems lacking.

Regards,

:):):)

This is the first time I have seen Eric's idea.  Not bad at all for volume but a little tight on hand room.

Mike,

The picture is deceiving. That tray is as big as Dillon's bullet tray. You must have some serious bear paws. :o;)

It's an idea I really wish Dillon would pick up and run with. With a pair of super-bins and a primer feeder and you can go a long way to keeping pace with a 650.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting a bunch of akro bins saves a lot ot time. At work we used akro bins for parts but converted to another system. I scored over 50 of the ones sized for the 550, plus as many in the larger sizes. I fill several up to the top and I only slow down to switch out bins.

I use the stong mount and just stack 2 bins high. Pretty good position for brass, though I like the dillon one too. If you convert to the strong mount and keep the orginial bin holder you can convert that to become a bin holder for the brass, then mount it to the press.

Ted

Eric, :D your case feeder bin looks suspiciously like the on demand dog food bin I have been using for the last 20 years to feed my dogs. :rolleyes: About $20 at wally world. B)

A smaller plastic version for the cats is in use also.

Thanks for the idea. :) The cats have run off so I may have a feeder available.

Footloose

Footloose,

If those puppies are on sale at WalMart, do post a picture and a price. It may be the only reason I venture into a WalMart aside from the "need" for a DoAll double trap.

And yes, a dog food bin was the basis for the initial idea. It's so obvious, I can't believe nobody's done it yet.

Eric:

You said:

"And yes, a dog food bin was the basis for the initial idea. It's so obvious, I can't believe nobody's done it yet"

I posted on this thread last month and revised a few things in my loading scheme based on your nifty idea. I thought it was from a cat food dispenser but I should have guessed your dog was the inspiration.

You said:

" It's an idea I really wish Dillon would pick up and run with. With a pair of super-bins and a primer feeder and you can go a long way to keeping pace with a 650."

You know you are right. Even if you don't want to press yourself for speed its just smart to eliminate the " time waster's" in the reloading process.

Thanks,

:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

I wish when they made this, that a person could use either twin 1050 or 900 bins on it. It makes sense when loading large rifle cartridges.

Maybe if they angled the bin the same way as the finshed cartridge bin and sloped back towards the press...

take care

eric